Is there a printable or JPEG version of some of the maps?

Your best bet is to simply take a screenshot of the map from above. It takes a little tweaking to get it right, using either fraps, printscreen or whatever, then alt-tab out and crop it to a  tactical map to print or whatever. Five minutes work, I do it all the time. Then while you are at some boring meeting at work and people think you are diligently mapping out your department's fiscal strategy for the next quarter, you are actually laying out phase lines for the next day's assault.

Los

Edited by Los

Your best bet is to simply take a screenshot of the map from above. It takes a little tweaking to get it right, using either fraps, printscreen or whatever, then alt-tab out and crop it to a  tactical map to print or whatever. Five minutes work, I do it all the time. Then while you are at some boring meeting at work and people think you are diligently mapping out your department's fiscal strategy for the next quarter, you are actually laying out phase lines for the next day's assault.

Los

that is exactly my plan, we have a database management meeting today, im bringing the poking the bear map on a clip board. Thanks for the help

Like others have said, best way to make a tactical map is to just take a good above shot of the map. If you want to have some fun with using a tactical map to see the battle in a different way for planning take into a military sketch program like Overlay maker, which is what I use. I have only done this a few times when dealing with a very large force and having some spare time to put it together. If you are one for doing something like this make a template of how you want the tactical icons to look and be named. You can even import the games, or icon mods into the program to use. Then you can just swap maps out without having to re-make your TAC icons for the sketch program.

In a large battle I found it helped to see the force in this different organizational way to plan with and to keep track of the battle by moving the icons on the TAC map like Generals do. The downside is I found it still was a bit time consuming even with creating a template to get motivated to do all the time. Here is a sample of an overall AAR I did with Overlay Maker.

Poking%20Bear%20AAR.jpg

Edited by Vinnart

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At one time, I was one of the leading map maker for another computer wargaming company. I used Google Earth and if Black Sea allows you to make your own maps, I am sure I will be making a few, especially those from some miniature scenario books that I currently own. I have to learn the mechanics for the map making system but I am sure they are great. I will keep all of you updated as time goes by.

'Nite 

On 5/29/2015 at 5:20 PM, IanL said:

OK I just had a quick look at The Overlay Maker.  That is a seriously cool project - to bad the guy's web site is no longer.  I did find a version you can still download and it works well.  I think I can put this to use.

I used an overlay system when I made maps for another wargaming company. Very easy to do.

On 5/29/2015 at 11:56 AM, Vinnart said:

Like others have said, best way to make a tactical map is to just take a good above shot of the map. If you want to have some fun with using a tactical map to see the battle in a different way for planning take into a military sketch program like Overlay maker, which is what I use. I have only done this a few times when dealing with a very large force and having some spare time to put it together. If you are one for doing something like this make a template of how you want the tactical icons to look and be named. You can even import the games, or icon mods into the program to use. Then you can just swap maps out without having to re-make your TAC icons for the sketch program.

In a large battle I found it helped to see the force in this different organizational way to plan with and to keep track of the battle by moving the icons on the TAC map like Generals do. The downside is I found it still was a bit time consuming even with creating a template to get motivated to do all the time. Here is a sample of an overall AAR I did with Overlay Maker.

Poking%20Bear%20AAR.jpg

Great looking AAR map. If I am able to make maps using the method I did when I made maps for another game, I'll have my walls covered with them. Getting a tad excited. Yes, it does not take much to amuse me but hey, everyone needs a hobby. Right?

I just purchased the last two books in the World on Fire modern scenario book series. I have permission from the author to convert his scenarios to a computer gaming format. It will take some doing, especially with the European scenarios, but I want to give it whirl once I am up to speed.

8 hours ago, IanL said:

Welcome @WhiteWolf65. More map makers is always good. Check out the first section of the FAQ for some additional reading you might find useful: 

I have a lot of research to do as far as making maps/scenarios for any of the CM titles. I will just have to see what can and can not be done. Thank you again.

11 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

I have a lot of research to do as far as making maps/scenarios for any of the CM titles. I will just have to see what can and can not be done. Thank you again.

@IanL's link provides your best one stop shop mate. If you've done scenario design before of course things become easier for you and I get the impression you've got a lot of wargame experience which will stand you in good stead. I personally don't think it is that hard to knock out a scenario because the mechanics in the CM editor are pretty simple. It is of course harder to knock out a good one. The best way, once you've read some of the posted links, is just to leap in and start fooling around with things in there. I can guarantee you'll get plenty of help if you get stuck, just shout out and ask on here.