Please tell me I am not the only one who does this when planning. Post any tips

Pat O

Please tell me I am not the only person who does this. I know the game you can pause but I need a real world medium to help plan my missions. The Op orders for scenarios are great but they are more like a WARNO, you have to come up with one for each piece. I think I spend more time planning than I do playing.

post-73691-0-41536500-1432606707_thumb.j

So I am weird. Great. I use the dry board because its right next to the pc I suffered a pretty bad head injury in 2006 so I have to use lists post its and visual aides like crazy to keep up with a plan bigger than a few moves. Plus you can't drop graphics in the game engine.  With three kids and my work schedule I don't get to ussually play a single game uninterrupted so It helps me stay on track. Do you guys write down any initial strategy key points?

That looks very similar to my impression of what Bil Hardenberger's war room looks like.

Nah, mine has canvas sides and I use grease pencils on acetate overlays  ;)

Good job Pat O, you are definitely not weird for concentrating on planning, I think many of us love the game for the simple fact that taking this kind of care with our planning and analysis can really pay dividends in the game.

Please tell me I am not the only person who does this. I know the game you can pause but I need a real world medium to help plan my missions. The Op orders for scenarios are great but they are more like a WARNO, you have to come up with one for each piece. I think I spend more time planning than I do playing.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender (1).jpg

I draw plans like that when i am making scenarios. One time i was making a map and i had my whole desk full of printed out maps and satelite images of a military base in Syria, with lots of tactical symbols drawn on them. I thought if my one of my coresidents sees that, they might report me to the authorities out of fear i might be going on Jihad to the Middle East :D.

EDIT:

That' s the base. I had several maps of it printed out and also a hand drawn tactical map on a DIN A3 paper.

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=36.122069&lon=36.892648&z=15&m=b

Hand drawn maps are great when making AI plans, really. It helps a lot with keeping the coordination of the different groups in mind and reduces the amount of testing that is required.

Edited by agusto

I draw plans like that when i am making scenarios.

Yep, same.

When I play I usually just take down written notes in the notes field of Whose Turn Is It? (which is my turn management program).

One time i was making a map and i had my whole desk full of printed out maps and satelite images of a military base in Syria, with lots of tactical symbols drawn on them. I thought if my one of my coresidents sees that, they might report me to the authorities out of fear i might be going on Jihad to the Middle East :D.

LOL good thing no one came and knocked on your door then.