A Possible Lesson In German Attack Steel_AshesFall

Being my 1st AAR bear with me as I am not experienced in detailing this out. 

However Overall Plan:

Beginning:

1. Knock down to size HQ units and leave frontier soviet formations in low supply

2. Take out easy targets of the soviet air.  I am not a big believer in air in this game but they are easy targets.  Airs big priority in this is to knock down entrenchment, and some low soft targets.

1941:

1.  Take Leningrad.  This is a must to allow consolidation of northern units for operations elsewhere.

2.  Take down the soviet army as much as possible to neuter any possible 41' winter operations.

3.  Take the south all the way to Rostov, including Sevastopol.

4.  In order to do this HQ must move a minimum of 3 spots each turn to keep up with the advance.

5.  Relentlessly move forward as I would rather fight with weak units and continue to degrade the soviets than give them respite and opportunity to entrench.

6.  Take out all light tanks as fast as possible to keep the advance non-threatened as much as can be.

North:

Ashes appears to want to delay the advance all across the front, which somewhat slows advances in some areas, but I believe this will work to my benefit in later stages as the Germans are consolidated at this point and can punch holes where needed and continue to move forward.  With this in mind I have moved towards Riga with minor forces surrounding a few units along the way and knocking out that low supply in position to take Riga next turn.  His delaying action saved 2 tank units for one turn but I am certain they will fall next turn.

Central:

Ashes heavily moved units up to try to protect his light tanks, and delay the advance.  It does not work as my armor moves out in unison and takes the town before Minsk.  2 infantry divisions are fast marched forward to help support and take Minsk next turn.  1 armor unit is left in a little dangerous position but quite sure it will not fall, or even get hit too hard as he can not have too many armor beyond what is already there.

South:

It appears again Ashes wants to defend at the frontier and possibly attack near Romania.  I actually welcome this as this continues to weaken his units and hits my satellite formations which are no more than fodder for the most part.  My initial plan of combining the 2 section from Germany and Romania has worked as they have combined in the northern sector are in position to strike a flank of any attack.  So far so good down here as the south can be tricky.

Overall a very destructive turn as the initial turn was made to setup the destruction laid this turn as no less than 24 ground units fall with almost all in low supply.

post-65908-0-34793700-1432362673_thumb.j

Will be reading your guys' AARs with great interest! Ash and I have played a lot of AoC and it's been pretty much 100% Soviet victories, so much as I am rooting for my buddy Ash, I'd love to see the Germans kick some ass!

As for photos, I use Photobucket, it's free and really easy to paste images in here at a good size without needing to do any editing.

Up north German armor overwhelms Riga and troops have crossed the river in front.  Due to pour planning Riga left empty but will fall next turn.  More importantly Army Group North breaks out of any possible barrier before the Velikaya river.  With Soviets losses increasing due to Ash's forward defense the crossing if hit quickly should easily break unless all reserves are heading to this area as it is still early July, gotta keep these HQ moving forward to support this.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag11/steelman3250/North_zpsjk253gbp.jpg

Ash continues to move all reserves forward as Minsk is surrounded at this time.  Although damage could be brought from the north, armor decides to switch north to eliminate the Vilna bridgehead in order to move east in better terrain which will allow my next advance to go different directions and rapidly approach the Dnieper river.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag11/steelman3250/Central_zpshamnf7ns.jpg

In the south some light tanks placed forward to protect Vinnitsa are knocked out but take down a few steps of German armor, nothing serious though.  The Russian front line in this sector is mulled but it is obvious Ash plans to fight in this sector.  A few corps are fast marched up to be in better position to attack Zhitomer and open up the road to Kiev.  The main goal seen in this sector is not to take Kiev now but be in position to while protecting armor at the same time of constant advance in not across the Dnieper if not easy but continual east.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag11/steelman3250/South_zpscs90ki0v.jpg

Overall losses for the Soviets continues at an extremely high rate as their land units in the field is now down to 66.  This means there will not be too many sectors the Soviets can be extremely strong.  This should pay dividends the next few turns as the Germans will be ready to break the Soviet army if they continue to defend forward as Axis powers almost have 50% more units at this time or race forward to the Dnieper area..  The soviet light tank force is also in a poor situation as 3 more light tanks fell last turn leaving perhaps 13 more.  With 1 in Finland, and at least 1 intelligence spotted in Persia this leaves 10/11 spread across 3 fronts. 

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag11/steelman3250/Units_zpsutpufxfc.jpg

With Photobucket;

It looks like you're currently print screening, then pasting into Paint, and then uploading? There's no need to do that- just hit F11 and the game will take a full resolution screenshot, which you can then find under C:Program Files/Battlefront/Strategic Command Assault on Communism/Screenshots. Upload those to PB. When you upload a photo, there will be a list of 4 links on the right hand side under 'Share Links'. Click on the link entitled 'IMG' and it will automatically be copied, then simply paste it into your text as you write the AAR. Hopefully that clears things up.

On topic...very fast progress! Taking Riga this early is much better than I managed to do. It looks like Minsk is about to get obliterated by that menacing swarm of Panzers, although by putting the bulk of your armour in the center, do you feel that your northern thrust is neglected at all?

Will thanks for the photobucket tip.  I will get it sooner or later.

Northern thrust will not get neglected.  I feel all units dedicated to each front need to be used for the front for 3-4 turns, with the main goal of destroying soviet power and advancing as fast as possible.  Now next turn depending on what Ash does I could possibly peel off an armor up north, go straight for the Dnieper, or Minsk.  If he is going to protect Minsk with most of his central army then I will just go around as this means the river is lightly defended.  Soviets are much stronger in entrenchments and better terrain then Minsk but my goal in the center is to destroy units, and continue moving one direction or another with the goal moving east as fast as possible. 

1-2 armor and even 1 more bomber will be sent north when the time is right.  It will take 2-3 turns just to get to the Velikaya in full so no use sending a tank into air unless it is moving north while destroying targets is not what I want right now.  There is nothing in the north right now before the river besides a few units garrisoned in towns/cities that will fall one by one as I advance with the main army.

• 2 weeks later...

The battle continues after a big delay.

">http://North_zps8bgqj4ul.png

In the north units continue their rapid advance taking Ovinsk, and Postavy opening the road to the Velikaya with nothing in the way beyond a weakened HQ.  The river Velikaya could be assaulted in 2-3 turns, which at this point I do not feel defended in mass as his reserve continues to be depleted with another 9 units falling.  He can not be strong everywhere as he seems to be defending the central/southern sectors in strength and apparently willing to defend every town and has only 65 units in the field at this time.

">http://Central_zpsetkumvpk.png

Central front decides to continue directly east and free up Minsk of defense.  Though Minsk army is destroyed not able to move in due to ZOC.  My panzers could be hit but I do not believe out of strength as I am keeping my infantry out in front to absorb defense shots to get through to my armor.  Need to get more infantry and HQ up faster here to keep the advance going as is the reason I went to Minsk 1st and will not continue to the Dnieper.

">http://South_zpsvvergpwd.png

Southern front continues on 3 axis now.  Armor had to be slowed down briefly to allow enough infantry support move up to provide support and protection as there is still a strong armor front from the Russians in the area.    Zhitomer is in easier position to fall next turn and Chisinau will also be taken next turn.  In this areas I decided to reinforce my 8 armor and move my stronger one forward as I feel I can only fully protect 1 armor in a forward advance yet.  All 3 southern armor units are still within support range of each other.  My satellite armies move up to cut-off Artsyz in front of Odessa.  This sector also needs to be diligently advanced as I suspect there are 5-6 armor units up north of their position.  My overall southern invasion has been very successful and hope there will be a breakthrough in the next turn or 2 to rush the Dnieper.

">http://http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/steelman3250/media/Finland_zpslmptvt3r.png.html'>Finland_zpslmptvt3r.png

The Finland front not a must win theater early 41' is still important as it helps strain the Russians.  Russian units surprise my Finish front corp and the 1st axis unit falls.  Not a real concern as not all are needed to ensure a Finish breakout.  But what is needed is to sacrifice strength to take down the entrenchment of Viipuri which could possibly be taken in the next turn or 2 if attacks go towards plans as I only sense a covering force of an inf division, 1 light armor, and 1 army to defend the approach.  Not enough to put fear in my advance.

Overall the war is going to plan as advances continue with no real loss up to this point.  I make a huge effort with my movements to not allow any serious threats to my armor, at least until his light armor is destroyed as there is still 14 units out there.  My southern panzer is the only one that possibly is seriously under threat but I believe enough strength out in front with infantry to make him pay my following turn follow-up.  This turn was a little slower in sectors in order to support the above point allowing infantry and supply to catch up and be in position to support the next moves.  9 units still fall bringing his total to 65 units in the field.  This # is a key # to watch as this means he can not strong in depth which should allow some breakouts once the Dnieper and Velikay are assaulted.  Another graph I watch closely is the MPP to MPP loss' which at this point despite German higher losses of late still favors the Germans in a 3.2:1 ration of 6600 - 2000.

Being my 1st AAR bear with me as I am not experienced in detailing this out. 

However Overall Plan:

Beginning:

1. Knock down to size HQ units and leave frontier soviet formations in low supply

2. Take out easy targets of the soviet air.  I am not a big believer in air in this game but they are easy targets.  Airs big priority in this is to knock down entrenchment, and some low soft targets.

1941:

1.  Take Leningrad.  This is a must to allow consolidation of northern units for operations elsewhere.

2.  Take down the soviet army as much as possible to neuter any possible 41' winter operations.

3.  Take the south all the way to Rostov, including Sevastopol.

4.  In order to do this HQ must move a minimum of 3 spots each turn to keep up with the advance.

5.  Relentlessly move forward as I would rather fight with weak units and continue to degrade the soviets than give them respite and opportunity to entrench.

6.  Take out all light tanks as fast as possible to keep the advance non-threatened as much as can be.

Regarding taking Leningrad: Seems like a poor idea to be honest. It requires some significant amount of force to do it "on march" in 1941,while you still need to eliminate Smolensk and Kiev defence lines. If SOV player tries to save as much units as possible, you will face very strong opposition in either of those areas and panzers used to assault on Leningrad will be actually a burden, as most of SOV industry is pretty much elsewhere. SOV player saving mech corps can pretty much be a threat in those two areas and can knock out some panzer units and it's really not that hard imo.

Even if you will destroy most of the air units SOV has in the west, SOV player can still muster 2 fighter units, 2 tac bombers and 1 strat bomber => enough to fight with them in Smolensk or Kiev battle if put on very good supply (like 8 or 9), You can damage GER supply lines efficiently and generate tons of MPP losses there. I'd advise to ignore Leningrad in pretty much every game for GER player.

Hello Sokulsky I appreciate your opinion and if you are not right there is some truth to what you say.

However I look at it different.  In order to win the long-term war Leningrad must fall.  It will only get harder the longer it takes as fortifications will continue to pop up as time goes on. Taking it on the march you can beat all fortifications or hit minimal.  By taking out Leningrad it is not about the income to me it is about to straightening the line and pulling back an army or so to help with the 42' attack in the central/southern fronts.  If Leningrad is not taken the Germans should never win the war and 41' is the easiest opportunity you have.

Also you talk of Kiev or Smolensk you are correct that they are a concern on defeating (too me though the question is not taking these but how soon), but if you are going strong up north this will in fact pull away defenses from these areas as the soviets will have to counter to defend and this will make the attacks in these areas not harder but easier.  Central front has all the forces it needs.  Southern Front could always use another armor but is strongest in infantry then any other front and can overcome what is in front if played right.  Neither Kiev or Smolensk are a firm early need but will be taken the goal to me is to move east on Dnieper if not easily crossed and take the Russians from the rear where possible.  Keep moving east is the goal, not taking out Kiev as soon as possible.  However I will take as soon as it is feasible with minimal loss'.  No need to grind it out to take it if the movement is slow.  Speed is what must happen and I am not concerned with that money as there is far more in the Donets basin that we are going after w/Stalino up to Kursk.  Much more income here.

One other point I keep bringing up in my aar is the loss of units with Ashes forward defense will weaken his defensive lines eventually allowing for all goals to be possible for 41'.  65 units is not much, especially with 5+ being committed to Persia which intelligence has picked up, and defending each and every town which to me does not help in the end but will allow for defensive lines not in depth.

Breakout occurs on the Finish border with the Russians as infantry after beating down the entrenchments of Vipurii and pour into the city possibly sealing up a light tank, we have broken thru and plan to continue to Leningrad to support the southern advance from Germany.  Ash has not yet put any resources into the northern advance but will have to pay attention up here some now. 

Army group north advances within range of the Velikaya river.  Depending if any other units appear an attack across is a good possibility as there again has been no to little resources spent to stop or even counter this attack group. 

Mogilev is taken on the fly by Guderian and his panzers, as Minsk is finally in German hands.  The Dnieper is more or less crossed without threat to our lead units.   Great advances made in this front as his light tanks have fled to the rear.  Mildly surprised how easy the advance has been in the east as the Dnieper will be crossed in German hands along with perhaps Smolensk before the end of July. 

The South see's the Germans storm forward short of Kiev and Uman with a wide/strong axis front across.  Some minor inconvenience with Artsyk still in Russian hands but the axis continue to march forward at a good pace towards the Dnieper and grow in strength each turn as more axis units catch up to the front.

The losses to the Russian armies are severe again as their total units go down to 63.  Out of those are 14 light tanks, with 1 in Finland, 3 in Persia that leaves 10 for the 3 main fronts.  From sight so far it appears that 5 are in the central area, with 5 in the south and 0 guarding the northern approaches to Leningrad which favors my main 41' goal.  With the Velikaya in sight and perhaps crossed in July there is plenty of time to attack Leningrad before entrenchments are in place.

Just 1 image this time as I still seem to have trouble.

">http://http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/steelman3250/media/Finland_zpstx9yvhjs.jpg.html'>Finland_zpstx9yvhjs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been 2 turns since I reported back on updating this AAR.  Since then 2  things have happened; the Soviets have appeared to pull their armor back to some area out of sight, and the Germans and their allies have blown holes into the Russian defenses and crossed key defensive train across the whole front.

">http://1941%20-%2007%20-%2028%20North_zps8jq0vl

The Velikaya was easily crossed mid-July and now Germans in this area have cleared the road to Leningrad if enough force can be brought quick enough, which is the plan. There is 3 armor in this area now, with a possible 4th if needed.  I do not see this happening as it appears the south/central are the most important to his defense.  Perhaps though a tactical bomber might get brought this way to help ensure victory.  No defensive wall across the Velikaya is being caused by Ashes early action to fight forward, and protect each/every town/city along the way.  Soviets down to 57 units but could of easily been down to 54-3 as a few units were left behind to put out of supply.  Soviets can not be everywhere in force with these #'s.

">http://1941%20-%2007%20-%2028%20Central_zpshdmm

With Ashes pull back in armor and his defense of each town the Germans have busted out in this area across the Dnieper and are quickly on their way to Bryansk, and in the southern central sector towards and eventual combination with this northern southern sector in a drive towards Moscow-Kharkov industrial area.  Goal here is again not Moscow but to take all industry before the winter and continue to destroy the soviet army.  Now a drive to Moscow in the end will happen if opportunity given but not seen at this time.

">http://http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/steelman3250/media/1941%20-%2007%20-%2028%20South_zpsjbywymy6.png.html'>1941%20-%2007%20-%2028%20South_zpsjbywym

The south is always the most dangerous front for the Germans due to isolation from the rest of the fronts early on, and size of territory to take as even in the south their is more or less 2 to 3 separate fronts which can be isolated and taken on one at a time if the soviets are given the opportunity.  He still has 9 armor out there not doing anything with 2 in Finland, and 3 just done conquering Persia so I decide to again go back to a position with my armor where I can go south or north if needed, but always east towards Rostov as they go with the flow of the Dnieper.  Dnepropetrovsk is quickly coming into sight but will take 2-3 turns to cross the final spans of the Dnieper.  This is fine at this time with the calendar only reading July 28th and plenty of good weather left to be played out this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...