C2 & Information Sharing

3 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

The main challenge, for horizontal information sharing, seems to be getting the two teams/crews within the correct distance to transfer the information.

Which makes sense, although I can see the rank and leadership rating of the sender as a possible factor too.

Michael

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2017 at 5:12 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Someday I will have to re-do this thread to fix all the damage caused by Photobucket.  

@MOS:96B2P Yes please!

This post, along with Josey Wales’ post about the factors influencing morale and leadership are absolute must-haves.

The lack of screenshots on page 1 make it very hard to follow :wacko: ;)

You can thank Photobucket for that, they messed up a LOT of great threads and not only here.....Modelling forums with a decade's worth of tips & how to threads were utterly laid waste.  :angry:

+1 for a rebuild, really wish the forum would just let us edit our posts TBH.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

• 2 years later...

Hi folks, it´s me again with another noob-question. So far I thought I was getting into the C2-mechanics. Till this night:

ef3a80-1575236777.png

My mortars cannot get the fire mission from "company HQ", no chain of command between "company HQ" and "4 platoon HQ". And I wonder why. Both units have radio equipped and are not moving. "4 platoon HQ" has no radio-sign in the middle of the three squres...what does that mean? Thanks for help, again. ;) 

1 hour ago, sPA505 said:

Hi folks, it´s me again with another noob-question. So far I thought I was getting into the C2-mechanics. Till this night:

ef3a80-1575236777.png

My mortars cannot get the fire mission from "company HQ", no chain of command between "company HQ" and "4 platoon HQ". And I wonder why. Both units have radio equipped and are not moving. "4 platoon HQ" has no radio-sign in the middle of the three squres...what does that mean? Thanks for help, again. ;) 

Hello sPA505.  No radio in the middle square means the unit is not in radio C2.  However it might be in C2 Voice, C2 close visual or C2 distant visual.  Can't tell from the small screenshot.  The newer thread, linked below may help some. 

Below is an updated version of this thread with screenshots that were not vandalized by Photobucket. 

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think it might actually mean the unit is not in contact using a vehicle based radio?

It is true that the unit is not using a vehicle based radio.  A more comprehensive way to explain no radio in the middle square might be to say the unit is not in radio C2.  No vehicle based radio C2, and no portable radio C2. 

For example if you have a stationary infantry company HQ with a portable radio they will show a radio in the middle square (or whatever mod you're using something will be in that middle square).  The company HQ will show a radio in the middle square even when no vehicles are present on the map.  If the HQ is ordered to Quick, on foot, to a different location it will drop out of radio C2 (except in CMBS) during the movement (helping to demonstrate that, in this instance, the middle square is being used for a non-vehicle based radio).  After foot movement stops the RTO of the HQ team is able to use the radio and an icon will again appear in the middle square.    

And a new improved thread on this same topic:

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

I was wondering what the function of 2IC teams is in this system. Does putting a 2IC team next to another formation's HQ increase integration? i.e parking Tank Squadron 2IC next to Infantry Btn HQ, or vice versa.

1 hour ago, Bud Backer said:

To the best of my knowledge they offer no benefit beyond their guns and eyes, until the HQ is killed, whereupon they take over that role.

Yes, they horizontally share information.  This works much better if the 2IC / XO team has a radio.  Then the 2IC / XO team is able to use radio C2 to send the information (gained through horizontal C2) back to its parent unit.  The team will also receive information (tentative contacts) via radio from its parent unit and horizontally pass that information to the other unit. 

This  is most useful when playing with house rules where tentative contacts (information) plays a role.  A friendly unit can't react to an OpFor unit unless it knows (at least a tentative contact) about the OpFor unit etc.  This is one of the cool things about combat missions.  The extra house rules and C2 ability can be used by players that like that kind of thing or they can be totally (or partially) ignored. 

Also as Bud said an XO / 2IC team will take over for a KIA CO team.         

Edited by MOS:96B2P

• 10 months later...

Thank you for all your work, the important thing is to get the intel shared asap. It is part of the TLP before you start a game. This forum avoids a lot of frustration to inexperienced players. We also need to look at the motivation and competence factors. An experienced sniper sees subtle details and is more situational aware. How can you reflect he sees some introduced foliage in a pine forest? We can only go by more experience levels and motivation.  

On 2/25/2020 at 12:14 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

Yes, they horizontally share information.  This works much better if the 2IC / XO team has a radio.  Then the 2IC / XO team is able to use radio C2 to send the information (gained through horizontal C2) back to its parent unit.  The team will also receive information (tentative contacts) via radio from its parent unit and horizontally pass that information to the other unit. 

This  is most useful when playing with house rules where tentative contacts (information) plays a role.  A friendly unit can't react to an OpFor unit unless it knows (at least a tentative contact) about the OpFor unit etc.  This is one of the cool things about combat missions.  The extra house rules and C2 ability can be used by players that like that kind of thing or they can be totally (or partially) ignored. 

Also as Bud said an XO / 2IC team will take over for a KIA CO team.         

Depends in which army they served in. The second in command is also responsible for the administration. In the US they tend to communicate more with abbreviations which can make communication more cryptic 😉 LOS: my personal rule against the AI is don't do area fire unless the unit has a 'Contact Icon'. We can't test every level people chose to play with. A recent game was a revelation for me with contact sharing I may have a super-duper computer in which I can see instantly the battlefield the pixels on the screen don't.