Beyond Gustav Line

LOL. Get used to it. BFC loves to make us suffer (they bond us through pain)...then one day when you least expect it they'll drop some info. Sometimes it's a complete surprise...they never even mentioned CMFI until about 6 weeks before release.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

Gustav Line's successor is not in active development yet, so there isn't enough for a bone or preview yet. The following (quoted from beginning of thread) is still all I can share. That's all I've got.

The current plan is to expand CMFI's timeline all the way to the end of the war with one more module. Along with the usual TO&E and equipment updates, new unit types (such as Gebirgsjäger) and nationalities will be added (think South Africa, French Expeditionary Corps, and the like).

Something that is equally interesting is whether they plan to move on to a newer engine (CM3.0?) any time soon (next couple of years).

Not that I don't appreciate the current one, its awesome compared to CM1 engine.

:) Be careful what you wish for... :) The advent of a new "x3" engine would potentially, even probably, mean resetting the setting count back to zero and would signal the end of upgrades to CMx2 families. Maybe that's what they're aiming at for the revamp of CMSF (he mischievously suggested... ;) ). Syria was the entry point for x2, after all... Or maybe they'd release "Fall Weiss" first and go through WW2 chronologically. A couple of things Steve has said that might have an impact on CMx3 are: they're potentially moving away from OpenGL; they may switch to a "engine spine plus plug in content modules" architecture.

Yeah, well what I meant was that I would love to know if they have started working or conceptualizing on a new engine.

We know almost for sure that it will be at least a couple of years before we will see a new engine.

I base this "knowledge" on what was announced by ChrisND, I believe, that they are going to release at least 3 more titles based on the CM2.0 engine: CM:BN Battle of the Bulge, CM:FI beyond the Gustav line, An expansion for CM:BS.

From what Steve has said, I think they're at least at the very early stages of conceptualising a new engine, but that would have been true sometime about CMSF 1.01, when they'd seen how it interacted with the punters for a bit :). It seems to me that they've got to the point of knowing some of the things it won't be (like not-OpenGL, different engine/content architecture), but we've seen little indication beyond that, and BFC tend to keep their future plans close to their chest. I'd bet they're looking at ways of exploiting multicore processors that don't simply add to the overhead, and additional ways of offloading processing from CPU to video subsystems, both of which will be necessary to support more computation and greater fidelity.

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2015 at 5:50 PM, ChrisND said:

Bingo. ;)

The current plan is to expand CMFI's timeline all the way to the end of the war with one more module. Along with the usual TO&E and equipment updates, new unit types (such as Gebirgsjäger) and nationalities will be added (think South Africa, French Expeditionary Corps, and the like).

@ChrisND,

Battlefront's been very very quiet lately.  Usually that's a good thing.  Any updates since last year on the next CMFI module?  Good hunting!

elmer-fudd-shh.jpg   "It's wabbit season, and I'm hunting wabbits, so be vewy, vewy quiet! "

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, ChrisND said:

Well, I just finished putting 10th Mountain Division formations into the TO&E database for the next CMFI release, so... ;)

We've been busy. Very busy. More info soon.

Vewy, vewy, vewy good news indeedy!  Thankee kindly.  Soon is never soon enough.  We'se awaits wit' baited breaths . . . .  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, sburke said:

Excellent news, thanks Chris

would it be correct to assume that artwork for these guys would unit specific? I.e. Shoulder patches etc

Main thing that visually sets apart 10th Mountain from what we've already got is that they'll be in 100% M1943 uniform gear items, as opposed to the mix you see right now.

(as an aside, everyone thinks of those snazzy snow outfits and skiing gear when they think of 10th Mountain, but by the time they actually got into combat in Italy that gear had been turned in, because surprise, there wasn't a lot of snow and serious winter weather. Look at combat pics of the unit compared to the highly visible training pics)

I don't think it would be telling tales out of school to say there's a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot of Italian theatre-flavored finished artwork all finished and passed in. No playing catch-up on the artwork this time around.  ;)