Thanks @George MC

Marvelous scenario. Story, presentation, map - Everything!

Hi @BarbaricCo 

Thanks for the excellent screenshots and feedback. Glad you enjoyed the whole package. I enjoyed the research as much as I did creating the scenario. It's long fascinated me that action and interesting to check out the historical realities behind the accepted account. All the more gob smacking when you realise that Carius and Kerscher did indeed, drive into a village full of T34s! Just shows how much bravery and skill with a heavy dose of luck can pull of the seemingly impossible. TBH I'd always been a wee bit skeptical about the detail of the action but the research from the Russian side (which set out to establish the facts) did indeed support the main details of Carius' own account.

Anyway cheers for taking the time to play this and for posting your feedback :)

I'm certain anyone who has ever been fascinated with armoured battles on the Eastern Front would truly appreciate playing this scenario. It's perfect. 

Hi @TAKODA

Really pleased you enjoyed this. I think it's the Ost Front equivalent of Wittmann's Villers Bocage action with regard to historical debate and discussion. Si being able to 'game' the action I find helps me understand the various accounts of these actions and how accurate the accounts may be.

Thanks again for the playthrough and feedback. Much appreciated ta :)

• 3 weeks later...

To George MC:

Please let me know how to install you scenario in the game. I download the zipped file on my desktop tying to unpack it in the game but can not find the scenario. What did I do wrong? Do I have to assign specific path for scenario?

Thank you.

Edited by Daly

To George MC:

Please let me know how to install you scenario in the game. I download the zipped file on my desktop tying to unpack it in the game but can not find the scenario. What did I do wrong? Do I have to assign specific path for scenario?

Thank you.

Hi @Daly When you unzip the file you should get a folder with three files (one is a PDF with the historical background; the other a tac map) the third file should be a .btt file named CMRT Carius at Malinava_v1.btt You need to move/copy this file into your CMRT scenario directory. The path (assuming you used the default installation) might look like the folloiwng: C:\Users\George Mc\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Red Thunder\Game Files\Scenarios. You need to place the btt file into the foler marked 'scenarios' in your game file directory. Start the game up and you should see it now. Hope this helps.

Your Game folder will be in your users/documents (assuming Windows?) address- see the address link above - if you use that as a guide you should track it down. It's not in the programme files. I think IIRC it's also described in the game manual where you can find stuff. I'm sure you'll get it :)

• 1 month later...

George

Have You ever thought about doing a imaginary Winter sequel with Soviet attack and German AI.

CMRT-Winter-Mode-23

Great screenshot - very atmospheric. You could use it as a Christmas card!

Re your query - not sure what you mean. The scenario has a German AI Plan and the Soviets have several AI plans themselves that all involve attacking. All you have to do, if you wish is apply your texture mod above and you can change the look of the scenario. You could always crack the scenario open and change the weather and ground to reflect more wintry conditions. I'd also change the time of day so the sun is lower in the sky e.g. just after dawn or early evening time.

Great screenshot - very atmospheric. You could use it as a Christmas card!

Re your query - not sure what you mean. The scenario has a German AI Plan and the Soviets have several AI plans themselves that all involve attacking. All you have to do, if you wish is apply your texture mod above and you can change the look of the scenario. You could always crack the scenario open and change the weather and ground to reflect more wintry conditions. I'd also change the time of day so the sun is lower in the sky e.g. just after dawn or early evening time.

It was just my wishful thinking of reverse situation involving some soviet tank hero. But probably right way to do it historically accurate, is when official winter pack comes out.

Again, Your scenario is outstanding. I was just taking pictures when I tagged it with snow, and could not resist to share it.
Will be free to post one more Carius winter dream :).
Thanks!

CMRT-Winter-Mode-22

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Darth Panzer

Chuffed you are enjoying the scenario and the research behind it ?

Let me know how you get on - always interested in how these play out for folks. 

I'm working on a wee fictional campaign at the moment set in Poland in August 44.  That'll be the next one. 

Cheery!

Hi George MC,

Outstanding work done on this scenario, great research and level design.

Having a blast playing it.

looking forward to more in the future

Hi George MC

Just finished your Scenario.... ( Great tank battle ) AAR...

I positioned my Tigers at Point Ref 149.4, taking advantage of the higher hill side and working towards an Over Watch position near the center at ref 148.9.

My Tigers noticed the large Heavy Tank column moving down the road over the heavy bridge near Ragachyeuka, as I positioned my Tigers in a V shape position at ref point 147.4. The tank duel began between the Heavy Russian tanks and the Tigers, after the battle 7 Heavy Russian tanks where destroyed and no losses to the German Tigers. Though 2 Russian Heavy Tanks did manage to escape down the road and out of visual site of my advancing Tigers moving towards ref 148.9.

The German Stug IIIs did manage to take out one of the Heavy Russian tanks before losing 2 of their own, I advanced the remaining Stug IIIs towards the center of the map behind Malinova to engage any rear guard.

Mean while Carius's supporting 5 tigers and his Tiger, held over watch on the higher elevation over looking Malinova and began to take out any remaining Russian tanks, mean while Wagners Tiger along with Euling's Tiger continued towards Ragachyeuka to support the remaining Stugs.

End result full tactical victory for the Germans, with no Tigers lost.

Really enjoyed this one and I have been playing Combat Mission since CM1 Beyond Overlord, so its nice to be back again.

Edited by Darth Panzer

Thanks for the AAR. Good effort! Your tactics sounded spot on. When duelling the heavys I always manage to lose a few Tigers so good going on keeping them intact. 

You had a shot recreating Carius' action - just going in with two?

Sure you'll find this iteration of CM as good as the earlier versions.

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Cheery! 

• 2 months later...

Hey George, haven't read this entire thread, just your intro post... Scott (pnzrldr) and I are playing this H2H.. not sure how much feedback you have on playing the game H2H but we'll let you know how it goes.  FYI, Scott has taken the Germans... he should be able to handle them well so I expect a tough fight.. I have already lost one T34.. I did not re-position anything as I really didn't know where the Germans were coming from... but now I have some indication. ;) 

Hi @Bill Hardenberger

Nice one - i just got an email from Scott - he did mention you guys were playing this. I've had some feedback re H2H but TNH as it's a historical scenario it's not "balanced" in that the Soviets did get cuffed in this! I have suggested if people want it balanced they try it much like how Carius undertook it ;) Still I'd be interested in hearing how it plays out. If nothing else I can state not suitable for H2H competitive play as not balanced. I guess Scott is looking to live up to his nick and get in touch with his inner Carius!

Interesting you kept the set-up - that goes some way to giving you an indication of what the Soviet commander faced. Interestingly the commander of the Soviet company was very experienced and highly decorated. Unfortunately his crews were recruits given a few hours basic and chucked into their tanks. In the PDF i have the full casualty list of the Soviet tankers who were KIA/WIA during this action. Most were just young laddies.  

22 hours ago, George MC said:

Nice one - i just got an email from Scott - he did mention you guys were playing this. I've had some feedback re H2H but TNH as it's a historical scenario it's not "balanced" in that the Soviets did get cuffed in this! I have suggested if people want it balanced they try it much like how Carius undertook it ;) Still I'd be interested in hearing how it plays out. If nothing else I can state not suitable for H2H competitive play as not balanced. I guess Scott is looking to live up to his nick and get in touch with his inner Carius!

Yep, he chose the scenario and the sides, and I know Scott has a fetish for all things Tiger, so yeah, he is indeed searching for his inner Carius.  I'll let you know how it goes.

22 hours ago, George MC said:

Interesting you kept the set-up - that goes some way to giving you an indication of what the Soviet commander faced. Interestingly the commander of the Soviet company was very experienced and highly decorated. Unfortunately his crews were recruits given a few hours basic and chucked into their tanks. In the PDF i have the full casualty list of the Soviet tankers who were KIA/WIA during this action. Most were just young laddies.  

Well I figured you knew what you were doing when you set them up, and they looked like they had fair all round visibility.. there was little I could do to improve on it, so I left it as is. ;)  Scott might be listening, so I will hold off on giving too many impressions and thoughts here.

13 hours ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Wow, Scott vs. Bil on this scenario... that's one battle I would love to see reported, balanced or not :)

Hey Miquel, depending on how it develops, and if its interesting, I might let you talk me into an AAR on this one.  I am working on a little something from a game Scott and I played in CMFB... and can't do more than one at a time... so this might have to wait... still, it is very early in the game.  

18 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Hey Miquel, depending on how it develops, and if its interesting, I might let you talk me into an AAR on this one.  I am working on a little something from a game Scott and I played in CMFB... and can't do more than one at a time... so this might have to wait... still, it is very early in the game.  

Looking forward to that "little something" :) Regarding this scenario, I see it as kind of complementary to the one you made for Wittman's Demise. I will only say that in this scenario one totally gets what the Germans meant by "mit verstand"...

Edited by BletchleyGeek

31 minutes ago, BletchleyGeek said:

Looking forward to that "little something" :) Regarding this scenario, I see it as kind of complementary to the one you made for Wittman's Demise. I will only say that in this scenario one totally gets what the Germans meant by "mit verstand"...

"mit verstand" = NOT what I did during my CMFB BETA AAR ;) 

I just played this excellent scenario. However, perhaps the points settings need some adjustment? The AI surrendered with 40 minutes remaining on the clock, but I only got a major victory, despite suffering zero losses. The failed parameter was 'friendly casualties'...

Carius.jpg