moving CM titles

I wish to gradually move all my CMs from a hard drive to my ssd.

I was wondering if it's possible to just cut and paste the game directories and update shortcuts.

Will I incur in problems doing so? My doubt is that the licensing system won't like such kind of move, so if a total re-install is needed I won't bother.

thx

I believe you can cut and paste. I sometimes make a second copy of my CM directories to have multiple versions (1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc...) of the same game on my hard drive. The only potential problem might be that future patches might be looking in wrong place, and you would have to point them to right place when installing said patches.

I have done this many times. I mean a lot. The move of the game files will not trigger any problems with the DRM. The addition of a new drive might I suppose I don't have a lot of experience with that. My change of a video card did not a few years back.

I agree starting from an SSD drive is faster but on a capable machine the difference is not large.

Back when I turned the half-century mark and busted out some moola for a new PC, I got an SSD and reinstalled CMRT and CMFI on it but also kept my regular HDD. I then had a struggle with CMBN and all the keys and modules so decided to keep it on the old HDD. 

My personal observations, CMFI and CMRT load MUCH faster using the SSD. CMBN loads MUCH slower with the HDD.

yeah, I reckon that in-game there is no performance gain .. yet the loading times (which are particularly tedious sometimes imho) gonna improve I think.

So I'll give it a try, maybe start with the older titles I rarely fire up like shock force or a'stan, 

Thanks for your replies folks

I have done this many times. I mean a lot. The move of the game files will not trigger any problems with the DRM. The addition of a new drive might I suppose I don't have a lot of experience with that. My change of a video card did not a few years back.

That is unusual. To simply copy & paste a program + folder structure on a machine using Windows XP or later usually results in the program not starting because of missing registry entries and/or problem with the DRM. If it is feasible i would recommend to properly install programs anyways though because you might run into problems when updating the game if you just copy & paste it to another location.

Edited by agusto

Ok, I just made a simple test:

- CMBN installed on the hard drive.

- I loaded up two battles from CMBN, the ones being the most complex ("My Honor is Loyalty", axis side: and "Colossal Crack", allied side).

- I measured the loading times with a stopwatch. They measure as follows:

My honor is loyalty - 1:28 mins

Colossal Crack - 1:25 mins

- I then transferred the entire CMBN directory from my sata3 hd to my sata3 ssd

- Repeated time measurements:

My Honor is Loyalty - 1.09 mins

Colossal Crack - 1.15 mins

Basically I must agree with wiggum, in stating that there is not much of an improvement (abt 20%), so I'll probably stick with  the hd.

One thing of note is that both the hd and the ssd are sata3 enabled.

That probably means that with a sata2 hd the loading times would be kinda higher, and maybe transferring CM to a ssd would give more of a performance increase.

Anyway, had no problems at all with drms.

That is unusual. To simply copy & paste a program + folder structure on a machine using Windows XP or later usually results in the program not starting because of missing registry entries and/or problem with the DRM.

Yes, for a Windows native program with various integrations into the OS it is pretty much impossible to do a copy and paste move.  But it is much more common to work for cross platform software, although even then if there is integration with the OS the probability that it will work drops.

But, we do not have that here.  I make copies on a regular basis.  Any time a patch comes out I copy the base game to a new folder and install the patch on that new folder.  I do this because I invariably have a PBEM game or two going with the initial version.  Also during testing I do that same.  So, I actually do it much more frequently than customer's would need to.

I am totally aware that some day this might change but right now there are no barriers.

kohlenklau,

If you're really going to do this computer thing, then may I suggest updating your tech more often than once every half a century?  I think, though, this could be your opportunity to meet the elusive Brain in a Jar™, for even he will be impressed that you've been running CM on a IBM System/360 Mainframe. I knew you had all sorts of talents, but this may outrank all the others. Well done, sir!

Regards,

John Kettler

I hope you will my boss and give me a small 20% pay raise :-P

Ok, I just made a simple test:

- CMBN installed on the hard drive.

- I loaded up two battles from CMBN, the ones being the most complex ("My Honor is Loyalty", axis side: and "Colossal Crack", allied side).

- I measured the loading times with a stopwatch. They measure as follows:

My honor is loyalty - 1:28 mins

Colossal Crack - 1:25 mins

- I then transferred the entire CMBN directory from my sata3 hd to my sata3 ssd

- Repeated time measurements:

My Honor is Loyalty - 1.09 mins

Colossal Crack - 1.15 mins

Basically I must agree with wiggum, in stating that there is not much of an improvement (abt 20%), so I'll probably stick with the hd.

One thing of note is that both the hd and the ssd are sata3 enabled.

That probably means that with a sata2 hd the loading times would be kinda higher, and maybe transferring CM to a ssd would give more of a performance increase.

Anyway, had no problems at all with drms.

Yes, for a Windows native program with various integrations into the OS it is pretty much impossible to do a copy and paste move.  But it is much more common to work for cross platform software, although even then if there is integration with the OS the probability that it will work drops.

But, we do not have that here.  I make copies on a regular basis.  Any time a patch comes out I copy the base game to a new folder and install the patch on that new folder.  I do this because I invariably have a PBEM game or two going with the initial version.  Also during testing I do that same.  So, I actually do it much more frequently than customer's would need to.

I am totally aware that some day this might change but right now there are no barriers.

I would normally say so, cut and paste installation directories is normally a no-no in windows.

Yet I recently performed the operation with DCS world, had the simulator installed on a hd, cutted and pasted it, with loads of modules, to the ssd, updated links and it's a go.

That simulator has drm based on the latest starforce protection, which seems to be, at least from what I've read around, a rather complex software.