Heemskerck

In late March 1940 I sail the Heemskerck from Amsterdam to Bristol after the invasion of Netherlands. I would have expected the ship to remain in Bristol after the Netherland surrender as historically she was towed to Portsmouth and completed there.

I have noticed it seems a bit random as to whether ships  of countries that surrender (located in allied ports) remain in service with the Allies or not. The vessels of the Dutch East Indies seem to remain in Allied colours after the fall of the DEI so long as they're not in a DEI port.

I think there is a strong case for the Heemskerck to remain as an allied vessel after the fall of Netherland if she has been sailed to England. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a certain amount of randomness involved, so that it can't always be guaranteed whether or not a country's units will fight on after surrender, which is generally I think as it should be.

In terms of the Heemskerck, were there any other significant Dutch ships in European waters that did the same?