delliejonut

Defender/Attacker Deployment Switched in QB

I'm trying to set up a Attack QB with someone, but when I select myself as the attacker and load the first turn I'm in the defender's deployment zone. It's happened twice now, on two different maps. If someone requests I will share the PBEM file via dropbox

Settings:

QB Attack, medium
Dusk
Light Fog

Map is LJF-AT-Medium Broken Forest, on the map pack found in the repository

Attacker is Waffen SS, bonus 150%

Defender is British Army

I'm trying to set up a Attack QB with someone, but when I select myself as the attacker and load the first turn I'm in the defender's deployment zone. It's happened twice now, on two different maps. If someone requests I will share the PBEM file via dropbox

Settings:

QB Attack, medium

Dusk

Light Fog

Defender is British Army

Settings:

QB Attack, medium

Dusk

Light Fog

Defender is British Army

This is not an official BFC Quick Battle map.  You will need to consult the map's author for any problems that stem from the map.

However it is most likely a rare , frustrating PBEM PC/Mac bug that has yet to be successfully understood or resolved except to say it's not a BFC QB map design  error.

This is not an official BFC Quick Battle map.  You will need to consult the map's author for any problems that stem from the map.

However it is most likely a rare , frustrating PBEM PC/Mac bug that has yet to be successfully understood or resolved except to say it's not a BFC QB map design  error.

Just for clarification, the nonofficial map is the second map I had this issue with. Immediately prior I used an official CMBN QB map, QB 90 IIRC. I think it was a medium village attack map. Same issue.

And Ian, he says he's not using a Mac.

EDIT: Thank you Bud_B, I read through the thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to that the Germans will always be defenders for a given map regardless of what side you select? Would it be possible to manually edit the map and switch the deployment zones?

Edited by delliejonut

To be clear:

The  problem has existed and been reported since CMSF was released. 

The problem occurs when playing PBEM's with QB Maps.  Unless I go completely brain dead and reverse the Attacker/Defender setup, the BFC QB maps do not cause the problem.  None-the-less I check each time a BFC QB map is mentioned as having this or any problem.  I just don't speak for fan made QB Maps.

Just for clarification, the nonofficial map is the second map I had this issue with. Immediately prior I used an official CMBN QB map, QB 90 IIRC. I think it was a medium village attack map. Same issue.

And Ian, he says he's not using a Mac.

EDIT: Thank you Bud_B, I read through the thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to that the Germans will always be defenders for a given map regardless of what side you select? Would it be possible to manually edit the map and switch the deployment zones?

According to the testing I did with IanL, if the map is set to have Germans defend, and you make them the attacker, they will still have the deploy areas assigned to the defender on that map. Of course if you set them to defend, the map works fine.

I have manually gone in the editor and made a copy of the map, swapping attacker//defender deploy areas and it worked fine. Fine in that you can now use the map reverse from before, but the bug is not gone. Eg: take a German defend map and swap the deploy zones. Now Germans will default to attacker, and if you decide you wanted to have the allies attack on your new map it would get it wrong again. Of course, since the allies attacking was the default on the original map there's no reason you'd use your new map for it.

I've tried this with several official BFC QB maps and it was happening every time I set up the reverse of what the map wanted.

Edited by Bud_B

Unless I go completely brain dead and reverse the Attacker/Defender setup, the BFC QB maps do not cause the problem. 

I am quite sure you are *not* brain dead.  Bud_B and I reproduced it with official QB maps and I reported it. I'll send you a link to the report. I know this is a tough one and that various versions of it have been fixed.

I have manually gone in the editor and made a copy of the map, swapping attacker//defender deploy areas and it worked fine

Yes, I have done that before too and it solved the immediate issue.

Cool thank you for the responses guys. For this campaign I'm playing I'll probably just manually set up scenarios using Ian's method. Out of curiosity, is this likely to be a persistent problem for the foreseeable future?

Cool thank you for the responses guys. For this campaign I'm playing I'll probably just manually set up scenarios using Ian's method. Out of curiosity, is this likely to be a persistent problem for the foreseeable future?

This is most likely a persistent problem. The problem is now knwon since a few years and nothing has changed yet. I also have constantly this problem and it really is very annoying. But no change to that in a foreseeable future if you ask me as the problem is years old...

So, that is not quite correct although I can see why it feels that way.  I am aware of multiple map fixes that were made plus at least one code change to fix various versions of the problem.  From the end users point of view there is one problem "setup in the wrong zone during a QB".  Clearly there are multiple causes, some of which have been fixed, and at least one which has not.  Damned annoying when you hit it though yes.

One can check in the editor before using a particular map and see which side deploys where and who is set as defender. You can then see if you're playing according to the map's intended setup or reversing it. If you're reversing it, it's really easy to invert the deployment zones on the map and save it with another name to be able to play it how you wish to.

Takes 2-3 minutes.

Inconvenient? Yes. But not an extraordinarily cumbersome fix - especially if you were really looking forward to using a map you really like. :)

Edited by Bud_B

One can check in the editor before using a particular map and see which side deploys where and who is set as defender. You can then see if you're playing according to the map's intended setup or reversing it. If you're reversing it, it's really easy to invert the deployment zones on the map and save it with another name to be able to play it how you wish to.

Takes 2-3 minutes.

Inconvenient? Yes. But not an extraordinarily cumbersome fix - especially if you were really looking forward to using a map you really like. :)

Yes, I know this and a whole bunch of other tricks. And have done this very often. The problems is, even this is no guarantee that it works. Most of the time yes. But not every time. Just a few days back it striked me again in CMRT. Wether loading the map in the editor first and then load the QB save game (yes, this works some times) or reversing the setup-zones in the editor, or multiple loadings of the game. Nothing helped. Ah, not quite correct. Loading the file on a PC-System instead on my MAC helped. Sad, I dont own a PC myself....

But, it is as it is.

BTW: This is my only real complaint otherwise I am more than satisfied with the games and BF. And the helpdesk really offers what they promise. Help. Keep up the good work and maybe someday someone spots the damn bug causing the reversed setup zones.

Edited by Strachwitz