Advantages of having higher command on the ground?

Hi everybody,

I am wondering, what is the advantage (if there's one) in having on the battlefield your company HQ / battalion HQ?

Suppose you need a few platoons, or a few companies, for your quick battle, is there a reason why you should spend those few hundred points more to get an IFV/APC + the command team/support of command team?

These units won't make the difference in terms of firepower/support (unless in extreme situations), and you'll try to keep them quite behind your own lines and safe.

Hi everybody,

I am wondering, what is the advantage (if there's one) in having on the battlefield your company HQ / battalion HQ?

Suppose you need a few platoons, or a few companies, for your quick battle, is there a reason why you should spend those few hundred points more to get an IFV/APC + the command team/support of command team?

These units won't make the difference in terms of firepower/support (unless in extreme situations), and you'll try to keep them quite behind your own lines and safe.

You can use them to rally beaten up units that have fallen behind or as "spare" leadership when platoon and company commanders inevitably become casualties. The UI does a poor job of showing this, but it works.

I think you need the higher HQ for the C2 within the unit.  Example: Over on the left flank 1st platoon spots an OpFor tank.  This information is reported up to the Company HQ.  The info is then passed down to 2nd Platoon on the right flank.  Without the Company HQ this C2 link would be broken.

Using command vehicles in Black Sea will result in a slightly quicker call for artillery.  (No effect in the WWII titles)  See below link.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118608-command-vehicle-radios-vs-backpack-radios/

The Company support team (The XO Team) will take over from the Company Command Team if the company commander is KIA.  I sometimes delete the XO teams if I need the purchase points elsewhere.  If I keep the XO Team I normally use them as medics.

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118325-xo-takes-over-from-kia-co/

Considering how I have seen troops getting nervous if not worst (literally) after losing their HQ unit, do you think that losing the battalion HQ will have the same impact on all units of the battalion? I'm asking because I never experienced such a situation.

Not sure if I can remember losing the Battalion chief, but losing CoyHQ does seem to have a lesser downward ripple of consternation, yes.

So, this is more suited for the extreme difficulty version of the game rather than anything lower than the max setting?

Do you Always purchase the battalion command unit if you have more than a single company at hand?

1)  All difficulty levels rely on C2 for passing information, calling for artillery, morale, leadership etc..... If I understand your question I think it is to your advantage to have a solid C2 chain all the time at all skill levels.

2)  Yes I always purchase the battalion commander if I have more than one company.  I do this for the same reason as the above example.  But this time instead of platoons insert companies in the example.  I think the Bn. HQ is well worth the purchase points when you have more than one company.  What can be done is to strip out any vehicles and the Bn XO team and a US Mech Bn. HQ with soft factors of veteran, normal, fit, 0 leadership will cost 28 points.  Well worth the 28 points to have information being exchanged between the companies of the battalion.     

Considering how I have seen troops getting nervous if not worst (literally) after losing their HQ unit, do you think that losing the battalion HQ will have the same impact on all units of the battalion? I'm asking because I never experienced such a situation.

As womble said.  

I will add.  I try to keep my Bn. HQs relatively safe.  I will normally set them up in the ground floor of a two story building if possible.  Only ever lost one and that was from pre-planned artillery that got him while he was looking out the window.  Now I set the Bn. HQ Team to the HIDE command during set up.  If you like to play with big armor formations and the Bn. commander is also a tank commander then you may be torn between keeping the old man safe and using the firepower of his tank in the fight.  Especially if you are on defense where you typically need all the firepower you can muster.

When commanding multiple companies it is better to buy and risk losing a Bn HQ than never having one at all. :)