CMBO graphics resolution issues just will not go away

Hello, I know this question has bee asked and answered a million times, but I still can't find a solution.

Like others I was forced to upgrade from my trusty XP to Windows 8.1, I got a new computer also.

When I try to play CMBO all I get is "Mushy" graphics, Gridded grass just looks like pea soup??

When restarting with pref file deleted I only get 2 resolution options, then on the third "Next" the screen and computer freeze and I have to re-start. Restart gives same results.

PC has a GeForce GT740, driver is 9.18.13.2.4788 (Latest as og April 2015).

While of the subject, my CMAK works OK, but I have to ALT+TAB to make it run.

Display is HP W22

Can anyone help???

Thanks

Tony

Update - I think my CMBO is loading it's BMP files from the CD instead of from the BMP folder on my PC - anyone know why this might be and how to fix it (Load files from BMP folder in the CMBO location on my PC)

CMBO had an install option (a 'minimal' install) that would read the BMPs from the CD. If you truly believe that CMBO is reading from the CD, then you may want to reinstall it and make sure it is a 'full' install.

The low resolution/quality of CMBO suggests that you may be running in the 640 x 480 'software rendering' mode, which is the lowest resolution/quality for CMBO. However I do NOT know how to get around the issue where you are only presented with a few resolutions. Typically you should be presented with the closest resolution to your current desktop resolution that CMBO supports. Your HP W22 monitor supports a resolution of 1680 x 1050. The initial resolution that I would expect to get offered to you would be something like 1280 x 1024 or possibly something like 1366 x 768 (though that may not always be offered). The limiting factor for your display is the vertical resolution of 1050. Otherwise you would have been offered an initial resolution of 1600 x 1200, if your monitor supported the 1200 vertical resolution (which it doesn't in this case).

Getting an 'error' at the 'end' of the resolution selection process is normal, although you're describing a 'freeze' which shouldn't be the standard response. Once the game reaches the '640 x 480 software' resolution with nothing being selected, it then no longer has any more options and errors out. The routine unfortunately can't cycle back around to start at the highest available resolution again; you simply have to start the game up again to go through the resolution selection process.

CMAK and CMBO should be fairly similar in regards to the resolution selection process. The biggest difference between them that I can remember is CMBO's support for 640 x 480, which CMBB and CMAK didn't have (the interface was enlarged and required 800 x 600 as a minimum). So I'm a bit perplexed as why CMBO is behaving a bit differently. I think the only patch, 1.12, added TCP/IP play and nothing else to my knowledge.

You may want to try running CMBO by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator" from the popup menu, though I somewhat doubt this will resolve the issue. You can also right-click the CMBO icon and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and in the section labeled 'Compatibility mode' check mark the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select an OS from the drop-down selection. I believe 'Windows Vista' may be the oldest for Windows 8.x versions. I don't know if either of these two suggestions will help, but it may be worth a try.