Friendly fire

What's the size of map? Player ordered attack or AI controlled?

I've seen it happen on small maps where the air controller does not have 'eyes on' the target or loses 'eyes on' - both US, UKR and RUS air assets have shot up my troops after I called in strikes.  Other reasons were:

Usually because they were

a/ units too close to plotted strike

b/ forgot I'd planned a strike on that spot only to find my guys in that spot when the air attack came in (lost two M1s and BIFV)

It was AI controlled on a large map. Clear conditions, early morning with a designated air controller with good visibility

Yup the AI when it calls in air assets does seem to designate a large target plot area. So depending on how 'large' your 'large' map is means you might have a target plot that encompasses any 'friendlies'. Play the map in scenario author mode and click on the unit calling in the air asset. You'll see the highlighted target plot.

Yup the AI when it calls in air assets does seem to designate a large target plot area. So depending on how 'large' your 'large' map is means you might have a target plot that encompasses any 'friendlies'. Play the map in scenario author mode and click on the unit calling in the air asset. You'll see the highlighted target plot.

Thanks George MC I did click on him and you are correct he mapped the whole map lol. And the air asset in question was a Hind-24. Just seems like it would be a better way to control this when doing scenario designs. Makes it difficult to include air strikes for the AI side.

Thanks George MC I did click on him and you are correct he mapped the whole map lol. And the air asset in question was a Hind-24. Just seems like it would be a better way to control this when doing scenario designs. Makes it difficult to include air strikes for the AI side.

AI controlled air strikes do happen - accurately. Key thing is not having any 'friendlies' i.e. AI units close to the attack points. The air asset generally goes after high value targets first.

Friendly fire does happen - just, despite my observations. it's not all that common.

To reduce any friendly fire by air assets (either side) just ensure any friendlies are away from the plotted zone - or at least away from any enemy units; ensure an air controller has eyes on.

I managed this in Rolling Thunder (where both sides use air) and I've yet to see a blue on blue from air assets in that. Trick is don't have air assets as part of your AI attack plan. Have em come in latter and let the AI air controller do his job. What you are seeing (whole map lit up) is when you include air support as part of the AI fir support plan.

Edited by George MC

• 3 years later...

The only Red air controllers I fully trust are those found in CM:A.....In CM:SF I've frequently seen (Veteran, +2) Hinds attack the (Veteran, +2) spotter calling them in (admittedly on a very small map)!  :o

19 minutes ago, kinophile said:

So AI air assets don't respond to the AI plans /Target Areas approach?

Air assets are assigned to AI Targets at the game start in the same way as artillery units (ie: randomly).....IMHO it's usually better to use one or the other for the AI's initial bombardments, not both.

After that it's luck of the draw.....I've found that having FOs/FACs as part of an 'active' AI group makes them MUCH more likely to call in strikes, but precisely where they will place those strikes remains in the lap of the gods game engine.  ;)

Presumably TRPs would help as normal.....They just aren't a 'thing' in the games I script for the most.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead