How bad is the AI without triggers ?

Hi !

In the last year or so i only played CM titles with AI triggers included in the scenarios, so i have to ask those who regulary play both, scenarios with and without AI triggers.

How bad is the AI in pre AI trigger scenarios compared to the newer scenarios that include AI triggers ?

Do you notice a big difference in offense/defense ?

Is the AI tougher to beat in the scenarios with triggers ?

Err, any of the games at v3 of the engine have triggers.

Older battles may not have been updated, but they are still good. Plus, the older ones have more mods and more built scenarios. And, the packs add the trigger-designed battles.

Any more opinions ?

I need some input because i have to decide if i will buy a WW2 game now or wait for the Bulge game because of the AI triggers (no, not interested in CMRT).

I say buy one..or both (CMBN and CMFI)...

The original stock scenarios with those games may not have any triggers but both games have been upgraded to the latest standard so triggered scenarios for CMFI and CMBN should be forthcomming...Both community made scenarios- and hopefully also some scenario packs from BFC.

Some triggered scenarios exist already but they are not all that many. 

In most of the stock scenarios the AI is playing as the defender...wich has been mentioned here it does fairly well without any triggers...

Now... go ahead and buy yourself a WW2 game  :) We're not talking about an enormous amount of money...They are well worth the price and WW2 brings a different game experience from CMBS...

Err, any of the games at v3 of the engine have triggers.

Older battles may not have been updated, but they are still good. Plus, the older ones have more mods and more built scenarios. And, the packs add the trigger-designed battles.

But all stock scenarios (base games + modules) lack triggers and there are, for each game, only a handful of user created scenarios that use triggers.

What packs are you talking about ?

Pre triggers the designer had to anticipate what the player may or may not do and in what timescale. Challenging but not impossible.

The stuff I've done pre-triggers I would say works fine against the AI. AI Plans took a while to test to ensure that they could cope with what a player may or may not do. Triggers make that process far granular and less down to the designer having to anticipate a players possible actions.

Personally I've no desire to go back and redo the AI plans on something like eleven scenarios. In my opinion they work fine against the AI as they are. The feedback on them from players confirms this. Try Huzzar, Wittmann's Demise, Wittmann's Swords at Villers Bocage, Carbide Carbide, First Clash to name a few (Note all these can be played either side Vs AI).