Packs on US soldiers. Possible?

Hi Bruce,

I looked in the folders/files and this must be a bug. I see the american_pack bmp and mdr and in the uniform mdr it references the back pack to spine position 01 for the 3D program to slap it in there.

Kiwi soldiers have backpacks. 

Must be a bug! Not sure if it is reported. Report it and maybe you get a free Combat Mission mouse pad? :D

Send a PM to IanL...

I just bought CMFI+GL+v3.0 upgrade and I also have packless American infantry. Although if memory serves I do not remember seeing a video in CMFI where regular American infantry have packs on. Maybe they need to be ported from CMBN after all. For the record I would also like my infantry to be wearing packs, so if a solution is found that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your answer gentlemen. I always thought it was something to do with the Sicilian/ Italian climate that they don't wear packs but even in Gustav Line and with greatcoats on they don't wear them! Go on kohlenklau, report it and you can get the mousepad. It's the least I can do for all the great work you put in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Anyone else never sure when kohlenklau's being serious?

I very much doubt that you can bring anything over from another game to get it to show up but you never know some of the stuff that people have done has been pretty cool.  I do have a question for you - what time frame is the battle you are not seeing packs.  Does changing the time frame make a difference? 

Timeframe did not seem to make a difference. I opened the M41 tropical in the hex editor and see it references the american_backpack. american_backpack is in the folders as an mdr and bmps.

I am not sure what is wrong. I brought in the M41 mdr's from CMBN and renamed them as  CMFI trop M41's as a quick experiment but I cannot conclude anything from what I witnessed in game.

Something showed at the hip, mussette bag? I don't want to add to the confusion. I was hoping it would magically be there on the backs and we'd know we had a bad mdr...

Bruce, we can split the mouse pad. You want COMBAT or MISSION?

Or we can cut it the other way.

COM

MIS

or

BAT

SION

:D

There seem to be a number of anomalies in CMFI/GL regarding uniform bmps and mdrs.  Brit para uniforms have para, para-soldier and para tropical bmps that are all the same, and can't figure out when the last 2 would be/are used.  There's a German mdr set (can't remember what, atm) that doesn't have any uniform bmps apparently associated with them.  Maybe for future mods, or like your appendix, just a vestige of some early alpha-phase use.

Btw Phil, the Italians only have one set of soldier mdrs...any idea how the game assigns different uniforms like Bersa, Blackshirts, etc., to that one set so that you can have different types fighting alongside each other?  That has implications for using the Folgore I'm working on (the ones without the jump smock--using brit paras atm for the smock ones) in the Malta mod.

Timeframe did not seem to make a difference. I opened the M41 tropical in the hex editor and see it references the american_backpack. american_backpack is in the folders as an mdr and bmps.

I am not sure what is wrong. I brought in the M41 mdr's from CMBN and renamed them as  CMFI trop M41's as a quick experiment but I cannot conclude anything from what I witnessed in game.

Something showed at the hip, mussette bag? I don't want to add to the confusion. I was hoping it would magically be there on the backs and we'd know we had a bad mdr...

Bruce, we can split the mouse pad. You want COMBAT or MISSION?

Or we can cut it the other way.

COM

MIS

or

BAT

SION

:D

Lol. You pick! :D

In Bruce's other thread to report this bug, ASL Veteran replied and said he recalled that BFC people all decided at some point that US soldiers looked silly in CMBN to have packs on in combat and someone "turned it off" for CMFI so to speak. But they were too busy to go and do this for all the other nations or something like that or to go back to change it for CMBN. I paraphrased what he said so perhaps that is not the actual purity of what they did but it seems rather oddly done. Kiwi soldiers in CMFI GL came out after initial CMFI right ? But they have packs on and probably other nations do as well. Oh well.

In the navy we called this "configuration control"...where somewhere at some higher authority (called NAVSEA) it was expected that the specific ship's exact machinery configuration was 100% completely known. All their equipment models and alterations and field changes were known and if they had received them...Obviously it was always a shock when a team arrived and the ship had a configuration somewhat different than that tracked up at NAVSEA.

The folders in these games have probably slipped away from configuration control. There are some weird bmp files that float along for no apparent reason. Maybe not causing an on screen bug but just clutter that never gets swept out but rolled along into the next game! :D My personal favorite is a half-finished greatcoat bmp file...

Now people are having coffee and someone decides the backpacks don't need to be visible but all the US backpack images still stay in the folders. 

So bottomline, it is not a bug. NO COMBAT MISSION MOUSE PAD!

Edited by kohlenklau

In Bruce's other thread to report this bug, ASL Veteran replied and said he recalled that BFC people all decided at some point that US soldiers looked silly in CMBN to have packs on in combat and someone "turned it off" for CMFI so to speak. But they were too busy to go and do this for all the other nations or something like that or to go back to change it for CMBN. I paraphrased what he said so perhaps that is not the actual purity of what they did but it seems rather oddly done. Kiwi soldiers in CMFI GL came out after initial CMFI right ? But they have packs on and probably other nations do as well. Oh well.

In the navy we called this "configuration control"...where somewhere at some higher authority (called NAVSEA) it was expected that the specific ship's exact machinery configuration was 100% completely known. All their equipment models and alterations and field changes were known and if they had received them...Obviously it was always a shock when a team arrived and the ship had a configuration somewhat different than that tracked up at NAVSEA.

The folders in these games have probably slipped away from configuration control. There are some weird bmp files that float along for no apparent reason. Maybe not causing an on screen bug but just clutter that never gets swept out but rolled along into the next game! :D My personal favorite is a half-finished greatcoat bmp file...

Now people are having coffee and someone decides the backpacks don't need to be visible but all the US backpack images still stay in the folders. 

So bottomline, it is not a bug. NO COMBAT MISSION MOUSE PAD!

Damn. Just have to make do with my Muppets one!

Yes, there were a LOT of initial complaints from players about CMBN soldiers burdened with knap sacks as though they were still on the march. The reason you don't see them in CMFI and later games is because BFC responded to user requests (demands) that the knap sacks be dropped. Most recently, if I recall correctly, a big old haversack was made for modern Russian soldiers during CMBS Beta. After they saw it in the game their response was "...nooooo, that's not exactly 'warfighting' equipment" so the ditched it.

I have heard from fairly reliable sources that in the WW2 Canadian Army, every soldier assigned to Italy had a pack to carry his hockey gear, battle or no battle. Skates, pucks, special Mk7 folding hockey stick, Jersey, mouthguard and cup (interchangeable!). Most packs were obtained through discarded US Army packs found alongside the road outside Naples. 

Canadian%20Backpacks_zpshpb65hao.jpg

OK, I was only joking. Here is the actual pack carried. Sadly, hardly enough room to carry your Rush and Bachman Turner Overdrive CD collection.

Canadian%20Backpacks%202_zps9i4tny9i.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau