Stopping at the Edge of the Map - Issue

I often hit the edge of the map when scrolling around the battlefield, which is to be expected.

What strikes me as odd is that when I do so, the scrolling just stops, like I'm stuck to it. I'll then have to back away from the edge in order to continue scrolling around. It's quite aggravating.

Instead of just stopping, why not allow scrolling along the edge of the map? Think solid but slippery map edge.

Edited by Johnny Canuck

<Snip>

the scrolling just stops, like I'm stuck to it. I'll then have to back away from the edge in order to continue scrolling around. It's quite aggravating.

Instead of just stopping, why not allow scrolling along the edge of the map? Think solid but slippery map edge.

Johnny,

This sticking does not happen on my computer.  (I have an HP laptop with Windows 7)  The scrolling around the map and along the edges works fine. If anything I have the opposite problem.  I spend several minutes lining up a cool looking screenshot and then bump the edge of the screen and get sent flying out into the no-map land between the map and the horizon.  I took a quick look at the options on the load screen but did not find anything there that looked like it would help you. Your problem might be something easy that a tech type over on the tech thread can find an easy answer for.          

Johnny,

This sticking does not happen on my computer.  . . .         

Well, I had an OS crash so I just re-installed everything and tried this again with the same results. 

Easiest way to replicate it is to:

- Go to the middle of a map

- Back up to an edge

- Zoom out somewhat (optional)

- Hold down right mouse button and move to the right in order to rotate the map counter clockwise, let's say 30 degrees.

- Now press the 'D' key in order to scroll the map to the right.

You should only be able to scroll to the left.

Well I gave that a try and it was kind of like the twilight zone.  Every once in awhile I could replicate it and get stuck.  Maybe like one out of five times.  I tried all four edges but it was not obviously any worse or any better on the direction.  It seemed there was an outer boundary I would sometimes hit.  When I hit it I was intentionally moving a little further off the map than I normally would and also at that angle.  

I wonder if it has something to do with the map size?  The bigger the map the closer you are to this sometimes outer boundary?  I was using an approximately 600 x 650 meter map from a campaign I am playing.  However I have played on huge maps before and don't remember this situation. 

Sorry, I know that was of no help to you.  It must be an ongoing common occurrence for you if it aggravated you enough to post about it.  It is a holiday weekend now but if you submitted a ticket BF would help you out as soon as they could.                 

Thanks. I think I will throw in a ticket.

This happens... and it has since the release of CMBN (and probably CMSF; I didn't play that enough to notice).  You have to back off of the "boundary", either by rotating or moving forward just enough to allow the camera to scroll left or right.  It is annoying as hell, but IIWII!

Edited by Rake

This issue is annoying and happens often for me since I use smaller maps, and less so with bigger maps, as MOS mentioned...I just use the same or similar technique as 'Rake' uses.

Oh, how I miss the simple map scrolling of CMx1 past.

Joe

Edited by JoMc67