CMBS total conversion ideas...

Remember the old twilight 2000 games from the 80's. Post apocalyptic american mech forces fighting in poland. Make it something like that. Everything gets a very worn rag tag look. Lots of dents rips tears on the textures. No clean buildings. Terrain is very arid. Cities of rubble and graffiti. Basically its just face lift. The fighting would be between local factions using equipment in the game.

Twilight 2000 mod/campaign for CMSF: http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=3167

I think a National Training Centre, Fort Irwin map would be perfect. The Russians would be OPFOR  (11th Armoured Cavalry Regiment) just like in real life, so there is no need for a fictitious backstory. Scenarios could be exact or close replicates of past and current training missions. Kieme you would be my hero if you could create this map.

Yes, the NTC!  This would rock. 

Yes, the NTC!  This would rock. 

+1

This is a really good idea. It wouldn't require and new skins or anything like that, just scenario creation. It would be really cool to make some scenarios based around real world training exercises and tactical problems that would help to get commanders accustomed to the modern battlefield in CMBS as well as hone their skills, both newbies and salty vets alike. 

OK this will not go down well, but  I'd like a Victorian era mod which modeled skirmishers and riflemen in combat using this engine.

Not lines of infantry, just skirmishers and Gatling guns, canon. Unfortunately it would also need horses.  

More suited to a conversion of the WW2 titles but the topic's here so ....  

Edited by W1ndy

The problem is Always the same, people must remember that we cannot model 3d items in game, and in any case we'll never be able to mod technical programmed elements such as weapons, formations, data etc.

So any kind of mod must make use of the assets we have in game.

But i think you can exchange CMx2 3D models with eachother, so a time travel mod would be possible (sort of). Let see: a crazy scientist sends a battalion of marines back in time to normandy 44 to help with the landings. Unfortunately time travel (or more accruately: the game engine) doesnt allow sending weapons back in time, so the marines will have to make do with what they find.

Swapping models sure is possible, but not desirable. Not a casa that no big swaps have ever been made.

The only exception was the european mod for CMSF where a BTR-70 was used instead of a BTR-60.

If only the visual model is ported while the vehicle itself remains what it is by game's logic, it's just awful to deal with something that is just not what you see.

Can vehicles from CMSF / CMA be imported? (Had not seen the previous reply while typing this post - so, only model replacement is possible, no stats modification?) That would make it much easier - most of American and Russian equipment is too advanced (better suited for imaginable future conflicts that can be the extention / repeat / outcome of the current ones perhaps), and Ukrainian MBTs are too rare to accurately represent most other notable forces (especially when it comes to finding two of them that can come in contact with each other).

Russian vehicles can be used to represent the Indian Army: T-90A is visually very close to T-90SA (the major difference being more ERA modules instead of Shtora emitters; CMSF already has the T-90SA itself), T-72B3 can be used as 'Combat Improved Ajeya' stand-in (though CMSF T-72MV TURMS-T would probably serve better), BTR-82 can represent BTR-80, BMP-2/2M and BRDM-2 can be used directly. The opposing side would have to be the Pakistan Army: Ukrainian BM Oplot might be used as a stand-in for its predecessor T-80UD, though it is heavily modified compared to it (is it possible to at least remove parts of the vehicles' models, or make them transparent?), backed up with BTR-70 and BRDM-2.

Another possibility is the Algerian Army - T-90SA, BMP-2/2M, BTR-80, BRDM-2. Opponent - Egyptian Army: M1A2 to represent M1A1 (especially if its specifications can be downgraded), M2 to represent EIFV (again, downgrade desirable), HMMWV. Potential battleground - Libya.

Saudi Arabia has M1A2 SEP, M2A2 and HMMWV. Kuwait has M1A2, BMP-2 (Ukrainian can be used), BMP-3 (can it be used with vehicles from other side?), HMMWV. Iraq has M1A1M, BTR-4, BMP-1 (BRM-1 can be used as a relative stand-in), BTR-80 (use BTR-82 if it can be transferred or more distant BTR-70), HMMWV. Some combination of these forces can be used in Iraqi turmoil against irregulars, paramilitaries or imaginable former Iraqi military units that have switched allegiance (how about an Abrams vs. Abrams type of conflict for a change? :)). Iran can also get involved (downgraded T-72B3 as T-72S, BMP-1/2), especially if you imagine a possible future where it receives more advanced equipment (T-90SA/SM, T-72B3-type upgrade, BMP-2M/3/3M, BTR-82A).

Edited by Krasnoarmeyets

i would think if russia were to have any doings here in the u.s it would be up in alaska...otherwise in my opinion its a big stretch of fantasy to simulate a full scale war in the 48. the Logistics alone prohibit that. If its fantasy we are after then we are only limited by the game itself.

i would think if russia were to have any doings here in the u.s it would be up in alaska...otherwise in my opinion its a big stretch of fantasy to simulate a full scale war in the 48. the Logistics alone prohibit that. If its fantasy we are after then we are only limited by the game itself.

The idea of a similar setting on US soil is extremely interesting.

The next module in CMBS (although being very far away in terms of time), might most probably add snow environment, that could give an additional flavor to a total conversion based on your idea.

Edited by Kieme(ITA)

Wasnt there a movie in the cinemas recently where North Korea successfully invades and occupies the US but in the end gets defeated by a group of teenagers?

EDIT: Ah, yes, google knows everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dawn_%282012_film%29

I know the trailer looks cool with the paratroopers and the planes getting shot down but the movie is SO bad :D. I stopped watching it after 15 minutes.

Edited by agusto

Seeing the all the references to Red Dawn reminds me of my own plan to make scenarios or a campaign of a bogus Russian invasion of the US East Coast (an excuse to make maps near my home). Would love to see a fight to take Three Mile Island.

I just need to figure out how to use the map editor well. I'm going to give TMI a try right now, and see what happens.

But maybe... they can suddenly land in Seattle using merchant cargo ships! And then airdrop in some T-80s on big red parachutes! And mechanized bears! :D

But, seriously, even Alaska does not present any realistic military targets of strategic consequence (what good would disabling only a part of air/missile interception capability do in the long term?), nor is it a viable potential territorial possession (even if you manage to take it and hold it unopposed, what use would it be when inhabited by hostile foreign population?).

Krasnoarmeyets,Vehicles in CMSF have a much lower polygon count than in CMBS. Consequently the visual difference is considerable.Regards,John Kettler

Well, personally I would prefer a more accurate if lower-definition model to a prettier but inaccurate one.

Edited by Krasnoarmeyets

Re: Red Dawn 

YOU KEEP SHOWING CLIPS FROM THE WRONG MOVIE

WOLVERINES!

Re: NTC

I think it'd almost be worth just making it the desert, but with blue vs blue.  Just have the OPFOR guys have one of the many camo schemes 11 ACR has used over the years.  It's a great, thematic way to have the QB symmetry lots of folks seem to crave.

Bonus points if you can make the connex villages too.