CMBS Shadow of the Motherland Campaign

Thoroughly enjoying the campaign, fantastic effort dragonwynn

Mission 5 & 6

Woods or Urban?

The Captain, briefed his Company and Platoon Leaders.

We press where the enemy is weakest and keep them off balance by attacking through Ludansky wood.

They split into 3 teams

3rd COY under Captain MeInychuk with attached Recon and Grenade Launcher with East Wood as its objective.

2nd COY under Captain Tkachenko with attached Recon and Grenade Launcher with the Crossroads as its Objective.

1st COY under Captain Koval with HQ, Recon and GL as Dminsky Farm as its objective.

With the Recon on point, the 3 groups moved out. Almost immediately mortar fire began to land a few hundred metres in front of 2nd COY, had they’d been spotted?

That was a surprise. It was smoke, thereby giving protection to the attacker, maybe the Separatists are withdrawing from the forest?

15 minutes in 1st COY made contact against a well prepared series of fox hole positions and suffered heavy casualties trying to dislodge the defenders.

2nd COY caught a Separatist patrol in the open and cut them down.

3rd COY made no contacts and marched straight through the forest.

The route through the forest in the time available had been too tough a task for Koval’s battle weary troops and they suffered a tactical defeat.

For the 1st time in the campaign the UKR suffered worse casualties than the Separatists.

22 KIA, all from 1st COY, compared to 14 Separatists.

No problem Takoda. Let me know of any additional issues if you continue playing. I will probably make the adjustments recommended so far soon and go ahead and release it as a public post. I would like to load it to GAJ site maybe in the CMRT section but I dont want to without his permission so if anyone knows the author of the site and maybe direct him to my request it would be appreciated.

The Shadow of the Motherland campaign is released. After making adjustments and recomendations from play testers and refining and detailing the maps and narrative I am releasing the campaign to the public.

This campaign is a narrative driven campaign similar to my CMRT The Cross of Iron and CMBN In the Fields Where the Poppies Grow. It follows a young Ukrainian Captain, Demitry Koval, of the 79th Airmobile Brigade as he leads his men through a series of missions during the Ukrainian Civil War against Pro-Russian separatists. It is a story of modern war and the tough personal trials that soldiers face while underfire.

It is very important that you read all of the Designer Notes  well as the Mission Briefings as these drive the storyline. It is imperative that Captain Koval be kept alive or the campaign will end.

Simply download from the link below and place the .cam file in the BS campaign directory and place the mod folder in your data/z directory.

Many thanks for those who tested the campaign for me and I hope that this version is relatively issue free. Let me know through this thread of any further issues or suggestions and I will revise.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kv03skb2c180a4/Shadow%20of%20the%20Motherland.zip?dl=0

Here is the dropbox link

Hi @dragonwynn.. maybe I'm too impatient. Mission 1, is it normal that at start of battle.. during setup phase, i have no units ? Or is it an error from my part ?

Im running it on a  Mac OS X. Do the units come later on the game, after a couple of minutes ? Just gently asking. Thanks !

Well it appears that my core file to the campaign is corrupted and I have no clue what caused this. In the editor it shows all the core units as well as enemy forces and they appear as they should yet when I create the campaign neither the core units or the enemy units show up when the campaign is started. I have tried re-importing units to specific scenarios and that seems to fix the issue but the problem is that I will pretty much have to re-do the entire campaign from the editor and since I am extremely agitated at this turn of events I will mothball this campaign until I have the desire to redo it.

Sorry for the bumlink guys everything seemed to be working perfectly until I zipped the files and uploaded so just not sure what happened. Either way it is fubared and many hours of work down the drain. Thanks again to all who playtested it for me.

Mike

Ok I tried re-importing the core file units to all the scenarios in the campaign and repositionong everything all over again (3.5 hrs work) then ran the make campaign file again. I loaded up the campaign and in the first mission absolutely no core units showed. I am truely bumfuzzled over this. Can anyone offer any suggestions or insight about this before I delete the whole thing? This is my 4th campaign creation and I have never had this happen.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by dragonwynn

I recreated the core file and core units and have placed all forces in each scenario of the campaign. I have tested it through 3 battles and everything seems to be working fine. So I will try and upload again and hopefully all will be good. This turned out to be a real adventure.

The campaign consists of 8 total battles of which the player will play in 7 depending on the chosen path you take.

Here is a short list of the changes made based on testers suggestions and comments:

Added some replacement squads as reinforcements for losses obtained during each battle. This should add a better balance.

Gave players additional setup zones space in most scenarios for those who like to place their own forces. I tried to group the player forces together in their associated companies, platoons and squads for easier placement.

Reworked some AI issues (especially the last battle which had some bugged AI) for most scenarios to add a better challenge.

Added some additional detail to the maps

Once again all the previous details still apply. I feel the story is unique so it is important to read all the briefings and designer notes (The story). It is imperative to keep Capt. Koval alive.

Any additional comments or suggestions are welcome as I am trying to improve my skills at scenario and campaign creation. But most importantly I just want each who give it a try to enjoy and have fun with it.

Thanks

Mike

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kv03skb2c180a4/Shadow%20of%20the%20Motherland.zip?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

Simply download from the link below and place the .cam file in the BS campaign directory and place the mod folder in your data/z directory.

Here is the dropbox link

Thank you for the effort put in this. 

A question: I do not have a data/z directory

I have (in My documents) a ... User Data / Mods directory. Is this one you mean by "z"

• 2 weeks later...

Missions 1 and 2 were very good.

My comments on mission 4:

In this mission the Russians though everything on the advanced positions of the ambushed scouts and as a result they get massacred quite easyly after some fierce firefight at the first 25 mins. As a result they surrendered around min 35 due to heavy casualties. It would have been much more challenging if portion was only expended on the attack and the rest remained in defensive positions in the town organising a defence in depth.

It is a great map to be wasted without the Ukrainians having to force an attack on the city.

Similar overly agressive behaviour was displayed in mission 3 with same results but there it was just an attack.

On a second note: Both in missions 3 and 4 the russian tanks advance too deep too quickly into the ukrainian positions and as a result they become easy targets for infantry.

Hope this helps

Missions 1 and 2 were very good.

My comments on mission 4:

In this mission the Russians though everything on the advanced positions of the ambushed scouts and as a result they get massacred quite easyly after some fierce firefight at the first 25 mins. As a result they surrendered around min 35 due to heavy casualties. It would have been much more challenging if portion was only expended on the attack and the rest remained in defensive positions in the town organising a defence in depth.

It is a great map to be wasted without the Ukrainians having to force an attack on the city.

Similar overly agressive behaviour was displayed in mission 3 with same results but there it was just an attack.

On a second note: Both in missions 3 and 4 the russian tanks advance too deep too quickly into the ukrainian positions and as a result they become easy targets for infantry.

Hope this helps