More Bulge Info! (and a few screenshots...)

Not noticeable, but i think if they would pay him to do the textures he would create SD and HD textures for terrain buildings and stuff.

Its just insane how much his mods add to CMBS at the moment, the game looks ten times better.

...and yeah those screenshots are really really bad. Looks like a old CMFI mod.

Hope they will put much more work into the terrain, the buildings and the weather effect and not just copy over the stuff from the GL module.

Edited by Wiggum15

Mr Phil

Is there a place within the forums or elsewhere that teaches:

"All the set up zones per standards for Attk, ME, etc."?

When I see the word standard I think something must be somewhere in written form.

Thanks.

Kevin

Maybe a solution is to create a wide variety of snow terrain tiles in the editor?

I think this is a very good idea...Unless BFC have already been able to find a good solution to the 'deep snow/snow drift problem'...

With special snow terrain tiles (maybe like high- and low snow drifts tiles and perhaps also some other variations) each of these different snowtiles could be given specific values when it comes to LOS blocking, cover, inpassable, risk of bogging and so on...and be placable like hedges and walls.

Snowdrift flavoured objects like Kohlenklau mentioned is also a good idea...these could be placed up against buildings, walls and such...

1 question about Nordwind - wasn't this the German counter attack on the Russian front, if so does that mean we will se all the Allies US, UK & Russian in this one game?

Operation Nordwind kicked off on the Western front in late December and ended in late January.  It took place in the Vosges mountains of France and IMO was far more interesting than the Bulge. 

The problem with the Bulge is that it gets over-focused on the Southern-Shoulder and Bastogne; where the Germans had all their initial scraps of success, and of course where the media ran hog-wild. The Northern-Shoulder is far more interesting, imo. Many German units never got off their start line; like the 79th VolksGren which actually got counterattacked and destroyed after repeated failure. 2nd Panzer also attacked more towards the North and was the closest  to the Meuse, if memory serves, before being blunted and destroyed by the 2nd Armored.

Alot of interesting stuff for the community to do between the Bulge and Nordwind, I just hope its not all tired and already-visited areas.

@kevinkin

I have seen some forum threads that mentioned QB format but they could be outdated and inaccurate now with CMBS released. I think if BFC did want to initiate a system for submissions, then they should just have a link to a pdf which outlines the requirements in black and white with a date and revision number at the top so folks know if they are following the latest guidance. 

BFCINST 3532.1A 

30MAR15

"QUICK BATTLE MAP SUBMISSION FORMAT AND PROCESS"

Edited by kohlenklau

Perhaps I have not used the right search term yet, but will keep trying. If someone has a link or two please post re: QB set-up conventions.

I like your idea Phil since CMx2 will be with us a long time and there are many QBs still to be fought.

Thanks

Kevin

Another solution might be to have a wide variety of trees, bushes, buildings etc. in the editor to choose from with different amount of snow on them. So, instead of one set in the current game, there might be three sets - light/medium/heavy snow. In that way kohlenklau's idea with snow flavor objects coult be incorperated to the objects instead of being placed seperately, and thereby causing more toll on FPS rendering.

I also add my vote to several others on here that I sure would like to see it as a module rather than a stand alone.  That way I can still play on maps I already made, plus, hopefully it would add a bit of content to the Normandy/ Market Garden scenarios. 

<snipped>

Mike

I don't have a strong opinion for Module vs. Standalone per se.  I trust Battelfront will develop and deliver a high quality product.  I do feel strongly about still being able to apply existing Mods if at all possible.

Even though "Bulge" graphics will likely be better than CMBN, I would hope that I could still apply:

- Mord's Unit Portraits

- Existing Uniform Mods

- Weathered faces Mods

- Juju's UI Mods

- Explosions & Fire & Tracer Mods

- Gridded Terain Mods

- Horizon Mods

- All of Aris's existing terrain and vehicle Mods

- Sound and Music Mods

Looking foward to the game regardless.  Thanks, Chris, for the update.

Thanks Bill, I was way off on the location of Nordwind so did a bit of research on it.  My favourite is the potential follow-on offensive called (the terrifying) Operation Dentist. 

The germans certainly knew how to strike fear into the enemy with operation names like that. :)  But could be a good potential "what if" campaign.

I guess if the Sixth Army was not destroyed at Stalingrad and was reestablished to fight in the Ukraine no large formation can really be "destroyed". What the heck, not even the loss of the Army HQ and all but 6% manpower didn't stop the fighting Sixth.

Kevin

PS: very tongue and cheek.

My favourite is the potential follow-on offensive called (the terrifying) Operation Dentist. 

The germans certainly knew how to strike fear into the enemy with operation names like that. :)  But could be a good potential "what if" campaign.

Not so terrifying, really. It was just a series of drills. Brace yourselves, but to cap it off the Germans decided to probe the cavities of their enemies in search of military intelligence, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the process.

And I am creating the hot new rumor that the new game will include Russian forces to allow for the war to continue with the western allies versus Russia. Yes you heard it first here even if it is totally incorrect!

It will also include all the minor axis powers, only if they'd had large budgets.  It will also include a special World of Tanks supplement that's full of tanks that only existed in fevered dreams, or maddened scribbles.  

Also I will never quite understand the whole gripe about everything before the game comes out thing.  If Bulge comes out, and it's literally Normandy's terrain with a color swap of white for green, then go nuclear.  Right now, I'll just enjoy the thought of M4A3E8s, and the whole gotterdammerung vibe that comes with the last months of the war.