Russian BMD-4 Infantry Fighting Vehicle

Icecold

Apparently this IFV is in production now. Will probably be in significant numbers by 2017.

Its an Airborne IFV.

The Russian BMD-4 Infantry Fighting Vehicle entered service in 2005 in limited production numbers and upgrading of BMD-3’s.

The vehicle has seen the addition of a new 2A70 100mm main gun which is coaxial mounted with an improved 30mm auto cannon, the 2A72. The new main gun fires the 9M117 Bastion laser-guided anti-tank missiles, which has an effective range of 5.5km and can be loaded via the guns autoloader.  This is all housed in a new turret, with a new Fire control System. Its equipped with a further coaxial 7.62mm. These weapons are the same used on the BMP-3.

The light aluminium armour, which is rated for heavy MG & artillery splinters, uses a new aluminium material. The vehicle also has an NBC protection and 3 smoke grenade launchers either side of the main guns on the turret.

The vehicle uses the 2V-60-2 diesel engine, which develops 450hp. The vehicle is also fully amphibious and can fire the main 100mm main gun whilst in water (pending weather conditions).

The vehicle uses a 3 man crew, driver, gunner & commander. It carries 5 fully equipped airborne troops and the vehicle can be air deployed with crew and troops inside.

The most recent update is the BMD-4M (Modernised), which in short is an attempt to integrate the automotive components of the BMP-3 in order to reduce operational and manufacturing costs.  The crew have reduced to 2 and an increase of airborne troops to 6. A new FCS has also been added.  It’s believed that this model is now in production.

This vid has a nice shot of the autoloading system.

icecold,

A most interesting vid, in which I particularly appreciate seeing the tactical displays. Since I see an apparent CITV on the turret roof, I confess myself baffled by your statement the crew has been reduced to two. There is no point having a CITV if the komandir is both TC and gunner. If there is a TC and a gunner, then who's driving?

Regards,

John Kettler

ikalugin,

Thanks for the explanation! The NLOS capability is rather shocking. Do you happen to know what minimum range is for NLOS? I ask this because it's possible the maps may be large enough to permit such use, though naturally such support fires would be limited by the lack of adjustable charges. If the game code supports NLOS, then this could, I believe, have significant impact on the game. Does the BMP-3 have the same ability. If not, is it expected in the CMBS timeframe?

Regards,

John Kettler

What about armour protection? BMD-1 to 3 is quite thin skinned vehicle due to wheight restrictions.

I did not study VDV related info as much as I did on Ground Forces, but I'd say that the majority of vehicles in VDV are BMD-2 and BTR-D. BMD-2M upgrades are pending, within 2017 limits. BMD-4M is just getting into service, with small number of vehicles from mass production series that were delivered recently. Regarding BMD-4M:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118616-question-about-vdv/?p=1590758

Did someone say BMD-4M? Anyone up for airborne drop and river assault? Sprut free of charge. YT served this up after my Armata vid delvings.

Nearby I found a doc on the BMD-3 and BMD-4. It begins with footage from Afghanistan!  I don't speak Russian, yet I came away very happy I watched the vid immediately below. Much to see and learn here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwk0MbaF2f0&spfreload=10

ikalugin,

I don't follow what you said. Are you telling me the BMD-4 can conduct Indirect fire missions as close as 500 meters away from itself? If so, I'd very much love to know how this is possible, considering maximum elevation is only 60 degrees. I doubt even the equivalent of charge 0 for an equivalent performance howitzer would make such a short distance possible.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Direct shot = range at which you could directly fire at the enemy. Everything above this would require barrel elevation, hence implying NLOS shots above low obstacles.

The gun could be elevated to 60 degrees, meaning that at longer ranges it could be used as a mortar, this is munition dependent (older munition with 4km range and newer with 7km range would give you different flight profiles to play around).