Katusha: Girl Soldier of the Great Patriotic War

JonS

Glad you like Katusha!!! (I'm the publisher)

We just made a trailer for Katusha Book Two, which is the book that has the most tank battles (until Book Three comes out later this year).  There's over 150 drawings of tanks, battles, and other action on the Eastern Front packed in with a killer rendition of the classic Soviet anthem "Katyusha" as the soundtrack:

https://youtu.be/KMUUNs3UkoU

Amazing work.

I think these graphic novels are really great. My younger son is very interested in what happened in the Pacific during WW2 so I just ordered him the Wayne Vansant's "Days of Darkness" book. Of course I will have to check it out and make sure it is cool first! :D

you won't be disappointed

katushagirlsoldier,

Welcome aboard! Terrific trailer! Really gripping stuff, and "Katyusha" has got to be one of the catchiest songs ever written. I have a nephew who's very big on graphic novels, and I'll definitely let him know about these. Paeans for the wonderful books aside, are you a wargamer, and if not, how did you find us? 

Regards,

John Kettler

Thanks for all the great comments!  I'm going to forward this thread to Wayne Vansant.  

Bud_B, thanks for buying the books!  Your support is greatly appreciated.  We're doing a small-press model right now but hope to be with a larger publisher soon. 

John Kettler, glad you enjoyed the trailer!  That one was my (I am Katusha publisher David Bernstein) work using Wayne's art and great music by Dario Rampello (aka MrGamesAndGuitars on youtube).  

"Katyusha" IS an incredibly catchy tune.  I watched a lot of videos in looking for a soundtrack (in the process hooking my daughter on the tune) and was struck by the universal love of the song. There's a page on katushagirlsoldier.com dedicated to it and we'll be adding a variety of videos to it in the time to come.

I'm not a wargamer myself, though I've played a few, my major obsession is comics and I've read lots of great war comics (anyone remember Two-Fisted Tales?) and have had the pleasure to work with people like Wayne Vansant, Doug Murray, and Russ Heath.   

I came by this website through a Google search, and always looking to connect with potential fans, joined up so I could post in this thread.  No intention to troll here, just looking to spread the word to a community that I think might enjoy this really unique graphic novel series.  

Bud_B, thanks for buying the books!  Your support is greatly appreciated.  We're doing a small-press model right now but hope to be with a larger publisher soon. 

I came by this website through a Google search, and always looking to connect with potential fans, joined up so I could post in this thread.  No intention to troll here, just looking to spread the word to a community that I think might enjoy this really unique graphic novel series.

Welcome.  In case you had not noticed - since you are likely not reading everything here - @Bud_B has written two After Action Reports in a comic book / graphic novel style.  You might not have a war-gaming hobby but you might appreciate his work.

One completed:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/118397-the-battle-of-la-ferme-dupont-a-caar/

And one on going:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119204-somebodys-hero-a-caar/#entry1601715

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great comments!  I'm going to forward this thread to Wayne Vansant.  

John Kettler, glad you enjoyed the trailer!  That one was my (I am Katusha publisher David Bernstein) work using Wayne's art and great music by Dario Rampello (aka MrGamesAndGuitars on youtube).  

"Katyusha" IS an incredibly catchy tune.  I watched a lot of videos in looking for a soundtrack (in the process hooking my daughter on the tune) and was struck by the universal love of the song. There's a page on katushagirlsoldier.com dedicated to it and we'll be adding a variety of videos to it in the time to come.

I'm not a wargamer myself, though I've played a few, my major obsession is comics and I've read lots of great war comics (anyone remember Two-Fisted Tales?) and have had the pleasure to work with people like Wayne Vansant, Doug Murray, and Russ Heath.   

Japanese schoolgirls driving WW2-era tanks? Perfectly normal.

• 4 months later...

Anyone interested in the topic should definitely read Svetlana Alexiyevich "War's Unwomanly Face". Consists of testimonies from several hundred women who served during the war. Their experiences in the army, on the battlefield and how they were maltreated by society after the war, despite being highly respected during the war. A fitting sub title could have been "No Woman is the Hero of the Motherland". It is a sad but enlightning read.

Today, Alexiyevich was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature, probably the most prestigeous award in literature in the world.

• 3 months later...

Really, Kettler?

Is it really necessary to make every thread about you?  Is it really necessary to pollute every thread with your facile "analysis"? Is it really necessary to vomit up yet another worthless collection of googled links?

Really?

I remember a when i really started getting active on this form after getting CMFI I thought this was a great community, but lately I think alot of the older guys here are turning sour.. Everyone just needs to chill out and wait for CMFB