TRADOC Threat Handbook: 2011 World Equipment Guide, 3 Vols

Any resulting sanity loss from TRADOC's World Equipment Guide 2011. Despite all the goodies modeled in the game, I believe you'll be blown away by what else is out there on the OPFOR side of the house. Threats are conveniently ranked by tier, too.

Ground Systems

WEG 2011 Vol 1 Ground Systems - APAN Community ...

Update for Vol 1. Please understand these are change pages and new ones only, not a revised book.

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p4013coll11/id/2089

Air and Air Defense Threats

WEG 2011 Vol 2 Airspace and Air Defense Systems - APAN 

Naval Threats

http://www.soldf.com/download/freebooks/WEG%202011%20Vol%203%20Naval%20and%20Littoral%20Systems.pdf

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Stagler,

In glancing through the very meaty Ground Forces, I found something eye-popping on SLAP. That cartridge is really potent. Page 2-8 under Antimateriel Rifles. There are WW II ATGs which couldn't deliver that kind of performance, and if memory serves, German skirt armor was only 8 mm and stopped Russian 14.5 mm ATR fire from damaging the tank it protected.

"The Saboted Light Armor Penetrator (SLAP) round fired from the M82A1 can penetrate 19 mm (.75 in) of armor @ 1,500 m."

Given the above, I can now see how, given the right circumstances, SLAP could get through the side skirt of an Abrams, especially since the skirts aren't primarily there to stop KE to begin with, but HEAT.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Placebo, LUCASWILLEN05 and agusto,

You're most welcome. I thought the manuals would be good reading in general for people new to modern warfare, really useful to those (insert my pic here) whose knowledge base is considerably behind, and would be a tremendous resource for scenario designers, since it conveniently assigns tiers to the named weapons, making it at least less painful to try to figure out how to depict certain things.  Also, I believe it offers scope for doing things like creating ad hoc units running a mix of equipment qualities. An M113 is very much better than having no APC at all, as a case in point. Can scenario designers start AFVs and such dinged up? That would be a terrific tool for putting a lot of chrome into their designs. Battle scarred, with depleted crews, but still in the fight!

You all would've loved a DIA SECRET/NOFORN/WNINTEL level pub I used to have at Hughes as part of two five drawer locking files in which I kept the department level intel hoa. It was a Russian aerial ordnance handbook covering the full spectrum of MGs, cannon, rockets, bombs, CBUs and other goodies delivered by helos and tacair. I really hated giving back that book, but they don't let you leave with such goodies in your boxes. Sigh.

Regards,

John Kettler

Waycool,

You're welcome. I've skimmed quite a bit of the ground volume, and it's a wonder my head hasn't exploded from complete overload. The actual weapon and sensor pages are great, but oh the wealth of material which provides the deep context for what's presented: the reasons weapons developed a certain way; what the real enemy of light armor is and why; what loaded APCs should do if taken under fire, when and in what manner. How sensors have changed over time, what this means and why. Where the technologies are going and the associated trends. To name but a few.There's an education to be had on modern warfare simply by reading the text parts.  Also, I see I glitched in my #9. Should've read "...department level intel hoard." If was truly the keeper of the secrets there.

Regards,

John Kettler