sbobovyc

Combat Mission: Modding tools

Posted (edited)

@sbobovyc  Okay I worked it out!

It seems that we are going to have to experiment to figure out what each of the meta data values represent -- is that correct? Do you already have any indicators? 

Edited by The Steppenwulf

@The Steppenwulf I did some experimentation, but I don't have anything conclusive. One of these days I will get all my notes together and put them out, but for now it's best for people to experiment and share what they find. The meta data is the key to getting custom vehicles fully working since it contains data for wheels and suspensions.

From user reports and my reading of the Blender 2.8 API, the Blender plugins will not work on 2.8. It will be sometime before I port the tools, so for the near future Blender 2.79 is the latest version that is supported.

In my experience, skinned meshes take a substantial amount of time to reverse engineer. Adding to the difficulty, CM does the animation on the CPU side instead of in the GPU shader which makes this even more involved. It may be that I never get around to it.

On 4/7/2015 at 4:49 AM, sbobovyc said:

New tool release: mdr_mutator

Get the tools at:

https://github.com/sbobovyc/GameTools/tree/master/CombatMission

Short tutorial, modding ak-74m.mdr

1. Copy mdr, textures, and python scripts into the same directory
  2. Start a command shell in that directory
  3. In command shell, execute python unmdr.py ak-74m.mdr
  4. Import ak-74m_weapon.obj into 3ds max (uncheck flip zy-axis, retriangulate polygons)
  5. Do your UV edits
  6. Export to OBJ format, overwriting ak-74m_weapon.obj (uncheck: export materials, create mat-library, optimize vertex/normals, texture-coord, check: texture coordinates)
  7. In command shell, execute python mdr_mutator.py ak-74m_manifest.json
  8. Copy the modified ak-74m.mdr to the CM:BS Mods directory

@sbobovyc you´re still around? While I could convert some flavor objects to *.obj (by unmdr) successfully, I couldn´t do in reverse with mdr_mutator. I imported and exported again in Blender so I might use different export options for *.obj files there? Or no go at all?

Example case: manhole1.mdr to manhole1.obj = ok. After exporting from blender: "python mdr_mutator.py manhole1_manifest.json". Needed files (manhole1.obj and manhole1_manifest.json) are present, in same folder than my Python3 install and its exe file.

Other question: I´m stuck with Blender 2.76 due to my WinXP OS, so can´t use your MDR im-/exporter plugin apparently mady for 2.78. Is there´s any workaround? Thanks! B)

On 7/18/2019 at 2:44 AM, sbobovyc said:

@The Steppenwulf I did some experimentation, but I don't have anything conclusive. One of these days I will get all my notes together and put them out, but for now it's best for people to experiment and share what they find. The meta data is the key to getting custom vehicles fully working since it contains data for wheels and suspensions.

same for pillbox vehicle derivative. There´s crew position data I´d like to mess with in order to improve on vulnerability in pillboxes embrasure area. Alternatively make the pillbox have a realistic size embrasure so just a single guy can shoot from that loophole. Also would be nice to have an armored plate that closes the embrasure, similar to buttoning up an armored vehicle.