Combat Mission: Modding tools

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If either of you could see your way to making some more civilian vehicles, I'm sure they'd find a lot of use.

1 hour ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Various half finished models on my hard drive though most are unlikely to make it to fruition.
Half-finished German BMW motorcycle, a bus, a lorry, even a train coach, 

THIS!!!  @Kieme(ITA) was able to take vehicle textures (if that's the correct phrase) from CMSF1 and make them flavor objects in CMBS (see below screenshots)  If something like this could be repeated for CMSF2 that would solve part of the need for civilian vehicles on maps.  I attempted to import his civilian vehicle flavor objects from CMBS into CMSF2 but haven't figured it out yet.  If you or any other veteran modders @Zveroboy1, @sbobovyc, @37mm or others can make this happen it would greatly improve the look / immersion of scenarios.   Maybe Kiemes mod can just be (imported) made to work in CMSF2???  

qpVghqph.jpg

Yv9pTCOh.jpg

Y1mtPDxh.jpg

Given the nature of most modern conflicts, these would almost justify a vehicle pack.....Just imagine the things you could create with a few more fully functional civilian vehicles:

"There's an IED triggerman's coming straight towards us on a bulldozer!"  :o

Or even:

"That bulldozer was dead handy for knocking down all those tall compound walls!"  B)

Or:

"It's amazing how many conscripts you can cram into a school bus!"  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

41 minutes ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Yep this is easy, I'll get packaging everything up as soon as I get an hour. We're still waiting for CMmods 4 to activate though. Been waiting for weeks now to upload my new Sf2 UI mod. 

+ 5   Thank you Sir!!!  This will go a long ways to improving the immersion of scenarios in CMSF2.   

Very nice pictures this give an overview of a good ambiance and give me some ideas...

I have perhaps a strange question but... do we have a possibility to modify the mdr mds files to i.e.changing a Lada in a Moswitch or Zastava or Trabant giving an ambiance of i.e. in a Russian, yougoslavia, or old DDR time ?

I guess the answer will be no...but I would like an answer if we can import and modify such files with Bender ...to my personly convenience ?

46 minutes ago, benpark said:

If you are in Blender, these shortcuts are most handy in this situation, I found.

CTRL-T Triangulate Faces

Y- Break Faces

CNTRL-E- Split all edges

CNTRL-J  Join Model

Thanks a lot benpark for these addled infos... could you tell me if  I can find files similar as mdr mds on the net and what are the file extensions ?

Working on a basic form, cube sphere...is not really easy when we know that exist already on the nett the form of vehicles that we try to modding.

I would like so much find M 48 M 60 and more ...to create myself some extras, I need only the form like we have them in mdr mds files in CM without textures, but I don't know how is the name of this kind of files?

Perhaps will be not possible to do it, but I would like really trying to do something !

Personal satisfactions need only the roots !!

I am glad the tools are getting some use. Been really busy with real life stuff, so I never got around to figuring out how vehicles work. For the more advance users of Blender, you can import what I call "metadata" by checking a box in the importer. The data will show up in the object tab, under "Custom Properties." You can tweak things and when exporting the model also export the metadata. For example, I deleted the UAZ's canvas cover and had a fully working vehicle. The metadata could also be edited and exported, facilitating reverse engineering of its meaning.

4 hours ago, sbobovyc said:

I am glad the tools are getting some use. Been really busy with real life stuff, so I never got around to figuring out how vehicles work. For the more advance users of Blender, you can import what I call "metadata" by checking a box in the importer. The data will show up in the object tab, under "Custom Properties." You can tweak things and when exporting the model also export the metadata. For example, I deleted the UAZ's canvas cover and had a fully working vehicle. The metadata could also be edited and exported, facilitating reverse engineering of its meaning.

Thanks you very much sbobovyc for all these detailled infos, my knowledges about Blender are limitated, but I am searching and discover news things days by days, and there is a lot of precious informations and tutorials about this wonderfull sofw..thanks a lot again to let me know and let me a hand in case of need. !

19 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If you or any other veteran modders... @37mm or others can make this happen it would greatly improve the look / immersion of scenarios. 

Lol at "veteran modder"!

I've yet to play around with flavor objects during my various experiments & mod compilations... however someone like @Pete Wenman would be much more able to tell you what's possible & what's not.

Thanks @The Steppenwulf  As I said, I'm new to this 3D modelling business. So I really appreciate your tips.    

If you get as a far as releasing any flavours, I think it would make sense to coordinate our work together, so that we are using an agreed catalogue of slots (as far as that's possible). I'll pm you further about this when i find time to create a pdf of shots of my own flavour pack.

Yes indeed we should.  I've modified some flavour objects already. Tho' not used any aircon slots. So that was a good pick. Thanks for reminding me about the .bmp  files.

@Sgt.SquareheadI've made a police car. When I get my Little Mayhem town finished, I'll release a pack of new flavour objects.

9 hours ago, 37mm said:

Lol at "veteran modder"!

I've yet to play around with flavor objects during my various experiments & mod compilations... however someone like @Pete Wenman would be much more able to tell you what's possible & what's not.

Does this read like a classic 'holier than thou' statement... or what?!   

I've opened threads for my "newbie" mods.

These modifications are all thanks to sbobyvic's "newbie" blender import export scripting skills and it is only due to this extremely skilful "newbie" individual that I have been able to create these 3d mods for the community.  All this work is humbly dedicated to "newbies"... regardless of your talent or humility!

Steppenwulf's adapted SF2 flavours: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/135033-steppenwulfs-modded-flavour-objects-for-sf2/

4 hours ago, The Steppenwulf said:

Does this read like a classic 'holier than thou' statement... or what?!   

Holier than thou?

I should tell you about the time I was a Messiah!

Either way, Squarehead has it right... I only advised asking Pete as he released an SF2 flavor object pack just a few months ago.

I am being very frustrated by this. I have failed to make even the simplest flavour object by exporting an MDR, they either fail completely or are just 4 bytes of Nul Nul Nul.

I haven't a clue what is wrong.

Might I suggest that somebody does a youtube vid showing exactly what you do making a flavour object using blender and @sbobovyc plugins?

That would be a boon to the modding community here, I think.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:26 AM, 37mm said:

Holier than thou?

I should tell you about the time I was a Messiah!

Either way, Squarehead has it right... I only advised asking Pete as he released an SF2 flavor object pack just a few months ago.

@37mm- You are right, I read this wrong. Please accept my apologies!

Edited by The Steppenwulf

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Modding Flavour object and buildings using @sbobovyc's tools.

This has been an immensely frustrating experience, partly due to Blender being appallingly hard to use - I think it was devised by the Gestapo to break people without leaving visible marks - "Oh no, I'll tell you everything I know.  Just don't make me use the Blender interface again!"

My goal is to create new flavour objects and buildings to improve the immersion. Lots of modern games have completely naturalistic environments, yet CM has fallen behind with its generic boxy type modular buildings.

What I've learnt

You can import existing MDRs and modify them.  You can't scale them - dunno why.  This means it is pretty pointless - I've managed to create a crate with a different texture, but you can do that a lot easier by simply painting on the existing BMP with photoshop.Vehicle-9-Wrecked-Car.jpg.dfcac60caebc4f

This is my wrecked car flavour object (based on Kieme's work) - basically done in photoshop - now I have added a wreckage ground tile under it, it looks really good.

I have been unable to create a new object and export it as an MDR - that includes the "basic cube" that loads in Blender.  I textured it and added a .bmp material and just got an error message (which I would like to post here - but BLENDER FAIL - you can't save these things.  I wish whoever created it was subjected to Vogon Poetry then flung out of an airlock).

By using another 3D app called Rocket 3F I have created objects (the creator made usability a major goal - he'd never get a job with Blender, that's for sure.). Imported them into Blender, as .obj file then attempted to export them as MDRs, but there it all falls down, and I am now stuck. If anybody has any advice or could check my blender files for mistakes I'd be very appreciative.

BTW, did I mention that Blender sucks?

*I haven't released the car, because I wanted to deflate or remove the tyres, because them being intact looks wrong, but I would need to do that with Blender/Sbob's app and I feel that I would just get another error message.

• 2 weeks later...

New version 0.9.2 of the Blender tools has been released. The importer/exporter now support what I call "metadata". For example, import bush1.mdr from CMSF2 with the meta data import enabled and you will see that the "trunk" object has custom properties.

On 7/13/2019 at 8:30 PM, sbobovyc said:

with the meta data import enabled

Is this a different step from installing the io_scene_mdr.zip file in preferences? I see no custom properties as additional data blocks in the outliner window - I assume this is what you mean by custom properties being visible in the "trunk" object?

Thanks by the way for this update - I'm excited to discover what further clarity about .mdr objects this could offer.