"Neighbours From Hell!" Ready For Testing

Hi All,

If anyone would like to test my new scenario, "Neighbours From Hell!", please download using this dropbox link...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vauw5y8e084hdeq/Neighbours%20From%20Hell%21.zip?dl=0

It is Separatists vs Ukrainians and includes Blimey's Separatists Mod (with permission). The mod is the same one used in "The Boys Are Back In Town" so if you have that mod installed you don't need to install this one.

It is playable as Red or Blue, has multiple AI plans for both, and includes full briefing graphics for both as well.

I welcome all feedback, positive or negative.

Thanks.

My forces were subjected to pain in a harsh manner, I tried in vain to deplete their forward forces with RPG's at medium range for an hour, seriously an HOUR!

I literally ran out of RPG's, I acquired every round from every vehicle and only destroyed one enemy APC, my men were the worst shots in history, hard to believe they are such incredibly bad aims. I tried to attack with my APC's, they only destroyed one enemy APC and perhaps a squad of troops before they were obliterated. This is easily the hardest mission I have played yet, really interested in hearing how others go with this mission.

My forces were subjected to pain in a harsh manner, I tried in vain to deplete their forward forces with RPG's at medium range for an hour, seriously an HOUR!

I literally ran out of RPG's, I acquired every round from every vehicle and only destroyed one enemy APC, my men were the worst shots in history, hard to believe they are such incredibly bad aims. I tried to attack with my APC's, they only destroyed one enemy APC and perhaps a squad of troops before they were obliterated. This is easily the hardest mission I have played yet, really interested in hearing how others go with this mission.

Thanks for trying the scenario. I assume you were playing as the attacking (red) side? It's a tough one due to the map having a lot of open fields but it can be done.When playing as the defending (blue) side I actually had my entire garrison WIPED OUT by the AI, so if the AI can do it, which is not the greatest at attacking, so can a human. Do please have another go as the AI plans are quite varied.

Edited by Cpl Steiner

I am pretty happy with the scenario

I played as the attacker. I destroyed the initial Ukrainian defenses with ease. The BMP-2 was my main weapon. Scouts I send found the enemy APCs and then I took them out one by one with the BMP. While this was happening one of the platoons secured my right flank (and the touch objective there) and one squad hunted down the man at the lumber mill. After this the mortars made a heavy strike to the town. I assaulted the town from three directions. Took it easily. Set up a hasty defense, I was confident (too confident) that I could take out the reinforcements. Then the they arrived. I saw how strong they where and decided to run before they would kill me, but still I suffered some losses. I got a small victory.

I am pretty happy with the scenario

I played as the attacker. I destroyed the initial Ukrainian defenses with ease. The BMP-2 was my main weapon. Scouts I send found the enemy APCs and then I took them out one by one with the BMP. While this was happening one of the platoons secured my right flank (and the touch objective there) and one squad hunted down the man at the lumber mill. After this the mortars made a heavy strike to the town. I assaulted the town from three directions. Took it easily. Set up a hasty defense, I was confident (too confident) that I could take out the reinforcements. Then the they arrived. I saw how strong they where and decided to run before they would kill me, but still I suffered some losses. I got a small victory.

Thanks, and glad that you liked it. The hardest part of scenario design in my opinion is getting the victory points right. I am still not sure they are correct in this one. As it stands the Ukrainians get more points than the Separatists for just killing the enemy, whereas the Separatists get a lot of points for entering the village, even if only briefly. The idea was to give the Separatists an incentive to actually assault the village rather than just shoot it up from a distance and then run for the hills but if they take casualties this is going to give a small victory, like you described, because pure "body count" favours the Ukrainians. I did think of giving the Ukrainians points for occupying the terrain objectives but as the Separatists are expected to exit the map I thought that would be a little too easy for the Uke's.

Cpl Steiner, yes I was playing as red side and I will most definitely be playing this scenario again. I don't mind that I got my ass thoroughly whooped by the AI, actually it makes the challenge more engaging because now I am determined to do better.

The_MonkeyKing, I am going to try and replicate your attack plan with the BMP-2, I should have tried this in my first attempt, I waited too long and the enemy reinforcements tore my APC's to pieces.

Edited by TAKODA

You guys should also give Blue vs AI a go. I was not even going to bother doing Red AI plans as I thought playing as the defender in this scenario would be boring but when I did play as Blue I had one of the most exciting games I have ever played. The garrison commander was literally the only man still standing when the reinforcements arrived! It was like being in the Alamo or at Rorke's Drift.

Thanks for this scenario, Cpl Steiner...

I enjoyed playing it.

--------  SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER !!!!  ----------

I pretty much used the same tactics as The MonkeyKing. I used my BMP 2 to engage and destroy the enemy APCs. I had to shift it around somewhat to be able to get LOF to all 3 targets but the enemy was not able to prevent this. I kept my BMP as far back as i could to avoid being targeted by enemy RPGs...One RPG was fired at my BMP from long range though but luckely it missed...

After neutralizing the enemy veichles i used the BMP to areafire on the enemy buildings in the village.

Unlike The MonkeyKing i never intended to stick around and fight it out with the reinforcements. My goal was to achive the primary objectives and pull back before the enemy reinforcements arrived...This was a close call as it turned out (good timing with the those reinforcements)

I used 1 platoon to go after the enemy informant, one platoon to advance into the village and one platoon to booby trap the warehouse objective.

My BTRs provided long range areafire on suspected enemy possitions...

The warehouse objective was secured without encountering any enemies. After securing the objective this platoon remained in place until it was time to withdraw.

On my left it took me some time to find that sneaky informant but when i did he was swiftly dealt with...Same thing with this platoon...After achiving their primary objective they remained in place for a few minutes before withdrawing of the map...

After killing all (known) forward defenders in the village with long range supporting fire i moved my central platoon into the village to quickly achive the boobytrap objective in the village. I managed to do this at the exact minute that the enemy reinforcements where belived to arrive.

After fullfilling their objective i immidiatelly pulled them back and all my remaining troops where ordered to make their way to the exitzone...

I managed to achive the primary objectives with very limited casualties...Oooh... by the way...I never did use the russian reinforcements...

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-03-22%2012-38-23

This is where the enemy reinforcements where when i had exited all my troops from the map...

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-03-22%2012-39-34

A good scenario over all but a few suggestions...

I would considder reducing the number of victory objectives...Especially those considdering the enemy casualties...As i understand it you have 3 objectives based on enemy casualties (4 if you include the enemy conditions objective)..

I would remove the ENEMY CONDITIONS and perhaps also the DESTROY REINFORCEMENTS objective...After all...The briefing states that you should try to NOT get involved in any firefight with the reinforcements...Right now destroying the reinforcements is one of the highest value objectives...

If not removing it i would atlest lower the points for it or perhaps make it an UNKNOWN objective....

In the AI-plan i played the WAREHOUSE objective was totally undefended. I would place atleast some enemy defenders at that location and i would also place the TOUCH OBJECTIVE further back in the warehouse complex...

I would considder using russian veichles with the seperatists...The current ones have the ukranian flag on them....

And as a final remark...I don't think that it would make the scenario 'to difficult' if you where to add some more ukranian defenders in the initial setup...A good scenario but i think that it might be a bit to easy right now to defeat the ukranians until the reinforcements arrive...

Thanks for making this !

/RepsolCBR

I now played it with the Blue force and also came up with some changes for the Red force as well.

The game was sort of boring but still entertaining. I withdraw all my troops to the town and put up a defense. Ukrainians are so outnumbered that you can't really do anything, but just watch as your troops get hammered and slow the enemy. You just sit there and try to die as slowly as possible. I held the town with around 50% casualties and then the reinforcements arrived. The BTR-4Es are superior the anything red can throw at them. I just drove the BTRs to the opposite side of the map, while killing all enemies on the map. I got total victory.

To sum up. First there was nothing I could really do to contest the enemy force. When the reinforcements arrive it is the opposite. There is nothing the enemy can do. It was same when playing the Red force, just vice versa.

Suggestions:

- Make the reinforcements weaker. For example leave out the BTR-4Es or replace them with BMP-2s. Then while playing Red you can delay the reinforcements for a while to cover the retreat. Not get instant raped when BTR-4Es take the high ground.

- Give the defender some supporting arms. I thing something like LMG team(s) and an AT team (RPG-7) would be enough. Then the first contact would be more like a fight.

I think with these and some other changes the battle would not be so one sided. (first to Red and then to Blue)

Great feedback everyone! I will definitely take note of your experiences with the victory point allocation, force composition etc.

_MonkeyKing...

About those BTR-4Es - originally they were BTR-70s and in one test the Separatist BMP wiped out pretty much every Uke APC on the map. I upgraded to the 4Es to give the reinforcements a chance, but now it seems the Uke's are overpowered. I will consider your idea of using BMP-2s for the Weapons Platoon (but they are not standard OOB vehicles for Uke Mech Inf so will have to delete the platoon's vehicles and add individual BMP-2s).

Supporting arms for the garrison makes sense as they would probably have extra attached units for defence. I might take the MGs from the Weapons Platoon and put them with the garrison, and/or add some extra MGs/RPGs not in the standard OOB as extra defenders.

RepsolCBR...

About the Destroy Reinforcements objective: you are right, the Separatists should not attempt this at all and just get the hell out of Dodge as soon as they show up. The only reason it's such a high value is because the reinforcements make up 3 times as many men as the garrison. I will consider reducing or removing it though, and/or making it unknown.

About the Warehouse, it is defended but in the current AI plans for Blue the defenders either move out towards the village or towards the attackers rather than just sit in place and defend. I will review this and see if I can have some units actually stay in place.

[EDIT]

Once I have made some changes I will test them myself to see if they achieve the desired result and then put the scenario up on the Repository. This scenario took a long time to make - it was like writing a bloody novel or something! My hat is off to designers like GeorgeMC and others who create so many scenarios for the community. Everyone should have a go at using the Editor, if only to see for themselves how much work goes into a scenario. For this reason alone I am determined to make this one as good as it can be and then get it onto the Repository - which will be the final version so I never have to tinker with it again and can get on with actually playing CM:BS ;)

Edited by Cpl Steiner

Hello, Cpl

- - "The only reason it's such a high value is because the reinforcements make up 3 times as many men as the garrison. I will consider reducing or removing it though, and/or making it unknown." --

That makes sence...

Making that objective UNKNOWN and...stating in the mission briefing that destroying the garrison forces is the primary objective but that any additional casualties that can be inflicted on the enemy will be considdered a big plus as long as friendly casualties can be kept low.

Would be my suggestion...

-- "I will review this and see if I can have some units actually stay in place." --

That would be good imo. It does not have to be a large force by any means...just a few well placed defenders that are hard (impossible) to target with long range fire...

And...I forgott to mention before...

NICE TOUCH with Viktor Petrenko ! Little things like this gives some flavour to the scenario... :)

Edited by RepsolCBR

• 6 months later...