Operation Hercules: The Invasion of Malta [WIP]

Hi Stieli,

I am enjoying the CMPzC Operation use of the original Ortona "Bloody Christmas" Campaign labors; the maps, OOB's and such.....

I think we have 15 players participating. I know your question means, will this ever be released as a normal single-player campaign of battles against the AI.

I would say yes, but I don't have a date yet. 

The Malta project is getting some new blood with folkie onboard to make maps. I want to do the same thing and fight it as a CMPzC Operation with players doing PBEM battles. THEN eventually make it a normal single-player campaign of battles against the AI.

Yes!

I create the CM battles and get 2 humans to battle it out.

They are not the usual, "balanced" for H2H play you see in the repository.

They are what they are! A battle distilled from the results of the operational situation,

headcounts from previous battles, the dispositions based on commander's decisions/orders. A Canadian company with an attached troop or 2 of shermans plus some engineers supported by maybe mortars or maybe 25 pounders moves forward and clashes with the German units defending along a river. What defenses will they encounter...?

The H2H "Operation" has been usually a team against team as orchestrated by the umpire with predefined OOB's. That is what we are doing in Eindhoven '44 over in CMBN forums.

Now in Ortona '43 I am experimenting with a team against an umpire's team just to simplify things. Less people required. Easier to manage fog of war and have an open forum AAR for the actual playing team.

I am willing to assist you and your buddy in formulating a H2H campaign. I enjoy setting things up and watching the action unfold. I wouldn't want to bite into too big a project. How big are you thinking? Would it be CMFI with this Malta Operation or Ortona or were you thinking of something else? CMRT? CMBN? PM me if you want to open up on the idea. :D

• 1 month later...

First one thing (well actually two things), which may be of general interest for those of us, who care for board games:

- GMT games just announced a new "Invasion of Malta" operational level game. With their current production rate, it may take two years before it comes out.

- Finally GMT's strategic level "Italian Front" game will be shipped. They say, still within this July.

And for Kohlenklau: My PBEM buddy and myself are finally just about to start the Ortona mini campaign, which we talked about earlier. That is, if you are still willing to assist us. We just have a few more turns to finish a current CMFI scenario.

Hi Erwin,

It is 5th in line with 4 other projects so the best I can guess is the fall timeframe.

And my new paradigm is to create it as a H2H CMPzC Operation versus the traditional campaign of scenarios against the AI.

I honestly enjoy that much more than writing AI plans. However, I have followed up on a few of the CMPzC Battles by writing them as scenarios and uploading them.

Not every battle but some of the smaller ones. 

With that all said, would you be interested in playing on a team and fighting out Operation Hercules? :D

map is 99.5% done. just fixing some anamolies in the terrain. I think kohl is a victim of his own success at these operations. so many operations, so little time! when the time comes if this is going to be a mp game I would be more than happy to take a company of fj's

If anybody else wanted to run it, they could but I will have to wait a bit more. 

I have the T-34 mod to finish a few tweaks.

@mjkerner had some folgore and FJ mods he was working.

Mark's summers get very full being a counselor up at the female college nude volleyball camp he runs up on the shores of ol' Lake Iwannagedonya...

when the map is done I can put it up if the sides want to start their planning. I think this one might take some long term thought and planning as there will be several areas that need to be either defended or attacked. the axis will have to decide on coup de main assaults or play it safe and march to the objectives and the allies have to decide whether to defend the objectives or keep their forces back and react to the invasion.. etc

i would let both sides choose their objectives and plans. also that map is not the part of malta being mapped. we mapped the southeast section around the harbor at maxalokk... :P  just added that so nobody feels they were deceived   :D

thought that would post the pic. have to try again                                                                                                                  

7874e4aa-597a-40f7-b32f-7e17dc00fb1e_zps

If anybody else wanted to run it, they could but I will have to wait a bit more. 

I have the T-34 mod to finish a few tweaks.

@mjkerner had some folgore and FJ mods he was working.

Mark's summers get very full being a counselor up at the female college nude volleyball camp he runs up on the shores of ol' Lake Iwannagedonya...

I resemble that remark! They'll get done, er, eventually. Too busy whittling down Martha's Honey-Do list.

Maybe I'll be done by the time you send me that faux-Airborne drop .btt file.  :D

Edited by mjkerner

• 3 weeks later...

Good news: folkie is wrapping up the Malta master map for upload.

I have just decided not to run any CMPzC Operation for Malta. 

BUT if anyone else wants to step up to organize some type of a H2H operation for PBEM play, all the stuff I had been working on will also be uploaded. 

I am sure mjkerner would also eventually upload any special mods he has finished.

This has potential to really be a great one!