Command Connection

Hi all!  I have just started playing RT (a huge fan of the original CMBB and AK series) and have a quick question regarding command. Ive read the PDF and it has helped but I cant find the answer to this one.

I have an infantry unit that  has 3 "commanders" listed on his unit card.

1) 2nd Platoon

2) Tankodesentniki Co

3) 1st Regiment

I understand the 2nd platoon is his direct commander and when I am in range, I see the red line showing in command and I even see the mouth icon indicating that he is within "shouting" communication range.  When I move him away, eventually the 2nd platoon gets the red "x" indicating I am too far away (and the mouth icon goes away as well...what I would expect).  I have attached a pic if that helps.

however the other two "commanders" still have the green dot next to them but no icon to the right showing what kind of command communication I have with them.

Am I still really within command range of these other two folks and if so, what kind?

Thanks!!

Curtis

post-48300-0-75019800-1426521051_thumb.j

If i understand this correct...

- The red cross infront of 2nd platoon indicates....That the selected 2nd TEAM is NOT in contact with its emidiate higher HQ (2nd platoon).

- The green dot infront of tankodesantniki CO indicates...That 2nd TEAMs higher HQ (that would be 2nd platoon) is in turn in contact with its higher HQ (tankodesantniki Company)...It has nothing to do with your currently selected 2nd TEAM (other then to show how well the C2 is maintained higher up the chain of command).

- The green dot infront of 1st REGIMENT indicates that 2nd PLATOONs higher HQ (tankodesantniki Company) is in Contact with its higher HQ (that would be 1st regiment HQ).

It can be a bit confusing at first but i Think i have this right...

If you move 2nd team back into contact with 2nd platoon HQ all the information that THAT 2nd team are able to gather with regards to the enemy will be passes up the chain of command right up to 1st regiment HQ

If this screen had shown a red cross infront of 1 st regiment and the other two indicators would have been green then the information gathered by 2nd team would only be passed along the chain of command up to Company level HQ...NOT ! regiment...

As the situation is now on your screenshot...Any information that 2nd platoon HQ has about the enemy will be passed on to Company HQ and then to regiment HQ...but any information that 2nd team will be able to gather will be limited to 2nd team...

I hope i got this right and that this is somewhat helpful....

What is the benefit with this you might ask...

Well...first this information gets passed up the chain of command and the it goes back down the chain of command again...

This means that if you have all these 3 indicators green everything that 2nd team knows about the enemy will first be passed up the chain of command and then back down...All other Company HQs that are in command with 1st regiment will get this information..They will in turn send this information along to all their

subordinate platoon HQs (and other units) that they have C2 with...After that...All thoose platoon HQ will share this information with all their assigned squads and other units...

Information is very useful...The better understanding all your units have of the overall situation...THE BETTER THEY WILL FIGHT !

Edited by RepsolCBR

So as a follow up question: In the old CMx1, if a squad were out of command of its platoon leader, it could be picked up by a higher echelon commander and still be considered in command. does that still exist?

Thanks!!

Yes. An HQ higher up in the same CoC will be able to take over command of an element from lower down the chain if its immedate HQ is out of range or hors de combat. This can only take place at "Sight" or "Hearing" (or both) range though. There is no benefit from seeing Bttn HQ way over there in "Distant Sight" command range, or from having the "stand-in" HQ on the radio.