T-90 tank documentary (2014 in Russian)

Stagler,

The technology already exists to make the thing self driving. In the vid shown, the driving sensors are the one swiveling back and forth and the other one going up and down. The logic to discriminate a tank from a truck was available in the mid 1970s. I know this because I saw the T-62 MMW target recognition glint point maps myself in 1978. We're way past that now, and it would be trivial to set up something similar for a FLIR whose target library wouldn't need to be big or complicated. Thus MIL unless jammed, off leash if comms lost. Either way, a major rear security headache. Also, at 12 tons, the thing could do a lot of damage after Winchester, with the last hurrah being a spectacular explosion. For security reasons, naturally. 

Do Right,

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed my evil martial thoughts. Evil, that is, from Putin's end. Almost forgot, by a weird synchronicity, less than an hour ago I was looking at WW II tank sights and other optical goodies over on a site called Snyder's Treasures. May I suggest you pop in if interested?

Alexey K,

Wasn't aware of either unmanned tank Russian project. Indeed, as far as WW II remote controlled armor went, all I knew of were the familiar Goliath and the practically unknown Borgward B IV Ladungsleger/charge layer, seen below with a driver in it, useful for moving the AFV up to the area but not into battle. Frankly, I'm amazed anyone's got one. There were only 1181 made. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Stagler,

To much risk of electronic attack

The U.S. Freescale Company had a semiconductor that cloaked communications for two pilots. In other words, only the 2 pilots could communicate with each other. I am not sure as to where they are in its development. I would think that would be handy for tanks and future accompanying AFV operators, as well. This could come in handy in a situation like Benghazi when the current government (ours) refuses to here the call for help.

These guys could be in waiting, hidden, only communications would be their own to protect the embassy, much like the special forces (congressional hearings revealed) were 450 miles away from embassy, but, were told they had no way (plane) of getting to the embassy. I know, these guys would have to be hand picked, best guys with the best morals we got. I just hope we learned something from that mess, and can use this technology for the betterment of our soldiers and embassy risk takers. I know my grandpa could have used it, to warn his buddies (3 were shot after being captured on an island). He lived with that the rest of life. I was the one that could snap him out of the memories raging like a wild river through his mind. Pig tails and freckles, grandma would send me to him to cheer him up. I always new when his hand went up to his ear, he covered his ear for some reason. Maybe, that's what you have to do in a real tank. It brought back a flood of memories, his eyes would sadden, then I showed up and he came back to the present. I sure love that guy, he entertained the troops in the South Pacific much like the movie. Bloody Mary is the girl I love.

That's why robotic tanks gradually will become more and more autonomus.

It's why spaceflight will become cheaper and every home will have its own helicopter.

In so many words, the honestly epic struggle to get an automated truck to drive down a road without crashing, and the very restricted situational awareness of an unmanned system make me have some pretty strong reservations about something able to maneuver and fight on a level of a manned tank, existing in the near future.  There's no much armed robots do now that humans do much better (outside of flying platforms), which really accounts quite well for why things like SABER and other UGVs are limited to EOD and "camera on wheels" applications.

Edited by panzersaurkrautwerfer