CMPzC Operation "Bloody Christmas" (Ortona '43)

Well, these can only be better planned by long lead times, right?

Also if I put 3 fishing poles in the water, then maybe I get 1 nibble or maybe 3.

....by the way, getting really nice here in Texas, 70's! How are the trout streams up there? 

Plus I see this more and more as my comfortable niche of enjoyment of a balance between creative expression and selfish reward. Really seems better than firing scenarios out into the darkness. Never much if any feedback. Even download numbers don't mean anything. Some folks download everything and then you ask if they played it..and they said not yet. Campaigns are a lot of work and very enjoyable to create but you don't get to see it played out. :-(

Anyway, again if the interest level is dismal, we'll do the 5-5-5x5 protocol. 5 two hour turns of PzC, 5 units max per side, 5x5=25 max map hexes.

This would have FJ Pioneers! Also we could play it as Operation Manager (me) is the axis. Forumites play as the Canadians.

And we all know you can't swing a dead beaver on these BFC forums without smacking a Canadian. :D

Edited by kohlenklau

No you hit me with that beaver - stop swinging it around.

Well I am not very interested in being involved in the operational layer turn playing etc. But I am interested in playing the CM battles. However one at a time is enough for me since I have a fair number of PBEM games on the go most of the time. So, make use of me as you can if I am not already fighting something else I'll fight here.

I fully understand and Ottawa needs good PBEM foot soldiers like you Ian.

Oil up your bayonet and be standing by for the call to arms! :D

Chappy! Where are you? I know you're around here....

Bud? You too..! Buy CMFI! I'll give you a few months...

Edited by kohlenklau

Owen (Odin from FGM) has made some really nice visual guides for CMPzC. I also like a visual guide and will be making a "CMPzC PBEM Foot Soldier Manual".

It will explain clearly and concisely what you need to know to be a part of a CMPzC Operation with as few of the headaches as possible. 

And maybe the AAR/DAR is what scares some folks away? So, I am thinking of when we just can skip that and not every battle will require some big show in the threads if the player is a good dependable PBEM player but doesn't desire to do an AAR/DAR.

Similarly, I want to produce a simple guide for the CO. To the point that he doesn't need to own the PzC game but can direct his battle easily through PM's and EM's.

Edited by kohlenklau

...And maybe the AAR/DAR is what scares some folks away? So, I am thinking of when we just can skip that and not every battle will require some big show in the threads if the player is a good dependable PBEM player but doesn't desire to do an AAR/DAR...

Sort of the main reason I have never taken part in one of these.  Not so much being "scared" as not having the time nor the interest to make an AAR/DAR.  It's not my thing.

Now if this PzC campaign layer could somehow be rigged to work against the AI, instead of having to have a human opponent and an Umpire, I would really enjoy that.

Edited by Blazing 88's

Have you ever made an AAR? I enjoy it and I hope we see them still. 

I guess I better make double sure of that "no AAR required" offer. Because nothing pisses me off more than people that come in and ask "Where is the food?" and then do not have any time to help wash the dishes after they eat. I guess there must be other ways for them to earn their place at the table if we ditch the AAR requirement. :D

EDIT: Or we can solicit ideas and suggestions for a very simple AAR style that is bare-bones. No photos required. 

You don't really need an umpire if you have a trusted PBEM buddy. It can be and has been executed already with whatever gentlemen's rules you establish.

AI Campaign interface? That is that other thread! 2 years and counting I think. No offense meant to him/them/anybody but that is headed in my opinion to be another what I call "cow milker".  The first one is supposed to be only Overlord Campaign Interface to CMBN. Great! Then they sell you another for CMRT and another for CMFI and well, that one didn't handle winter so you gotta buy the module. No thanks! 

Edited by kohlenklau

I would suggest three threads in all per campaign. Less threads means it is easier to keep track of overall campaign picture imho.

CMPzC Bloody Christmas - This would be  both sides.

CMPzC Bloody Christmas Axis - For Axis discussion and any AAR's.

CMPzC Bloody Christmas Allied - For Allied discussion and any AAR's.

I think there is no best solution. If we have multiple battles at once, then AAR's could/can/might get confused in one thread. If someone splinters off with their own thread to do a cool AAR and they choose a name and later wish to edit the thread title, then it cannot be edited. 

I think I will use a central thread "CMPzC Bloody Christmas" for all matters FOW-neutral. 

Then each side can have  "AXIS HQ: CMPzC Bloody Christmas" and "ALLIED HQ: CMPzC Bloody Christmas"

with AXIS and ALLIED upfront as the first word so nobody accidentally enters the enemy HQ! :D

They can do simple bare-bones AAR's (quick text report with/without screenshots) in their HQ thread or splinter off if someone has the gumption to put out a superb AAR.

"AXIS AAR CMPzC Bloody Christmas (Assault on Ortona)" or "ALLIED AAR CMPzC Bloody Christmas (Minibattle 1)" as for example...

And always with AXIS or ALLIED out front as the first word.

Threads are free!

Edited by kohlenklau

I know I've promised K some building mods but I've been inspired of late to create a Canadian voice mod. The Canadians in the stock games, while they have named sound files, actually use the same voices as the Americans. All I'm doing is replacing the sound files with obvious US regional accents (e.g. Southern and New York) with American sound files from others mods with IMO nondescript accents. The accents on either side close to the border are similar so I think it's an improvement. Of course a Canadian could do me one better and record their own sound files but since I know of no such plans perhaps all will be satisfied with my effort.  

Fredrocker is most welcome. John Tiller Salerno 43 should be here soon and I will whip up an Ortona-like PzC scenario.

Luckily we do NOT need snow. PzC is very easy to edit and add in your own modded graphics in a jiffy.

You can't make your own tailored maps but you can add place names "labels".

So, I can hunt down a suitable splotch of hexes and make it work. "Ortona", "San Leonardo", etc.

AND I was already working on an Ortona CMFI Campaign so I have maps and research already accomplished.

It is like I just smiled at the girl and "BAFOOM!!!", she has a baby...  :P

Still waiting on Salerno '43 in the mail but my brain has basically come up with the PzC scenario.

We'll do the 5-5-5x5 protocol. Small and intimate with Ortona being center hex on the east map edge.

5 PzC turns (10 hours), 5 units per side (not counting small attachments like a unit with just a few ATG's)  and the map 5x5=25 hexes.

A condensed version of reality but focused to be fun and doable.

What I will follow is a system being performed over on the FGM website where I am the "OPFOR Commander" so to speak. I will be the CMPzC Manager but also run a more or less preprogrammed response as axis defender against the forumites who play the Canadians.

I will have a player or 2 be my unit commanders and arrange it so they enter into PBEMs with proper FOW.

I think it has proven very successful and fun over at FGM and I am excited to give it a go.

This isn't starting tomorrow so don't be worried. I plan to get all the OOB's built and everything organized.

You can join and you do not have to do an AAR. It is encouraged but not required. 

Salerno '43 arrived today. Installed. Patch installed. Volcanoman's mods installed. Cruising the strip to find a nice 5x5 sector to borrow to be Ortona.

It comes with a Salerno map, Anzio map and Crete map. The Crete map has a small section that actually looks the most promising.

I have to tilt the world on its axis a tiny bit. Hold your coffee cups steady....and standby for a screenshot....

Salerno '43 arrived today. Installed. Patch installed. Volcanoman's mods installed. Cruising the strip to find a nice 5x5 sector to borrow to be Ortona.

It comes with a Salerno map, Anzio map and Crete map. The Crete map has a small section that actually looks the most promising.

I have to tilt the world on its axis a tiny bit. Hold your coffee cups steady....and standby for a screenshot....

I assume you know of this Map mod site for PzC: http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com/download.htm

Very good mods.

Edited by Blazing 88's

OK, that was fairly easy. North is the new west! Oh well, you gotta roll with the punches and "grasp at the accomplishable"...I think I recall I got a smack across the face for doing that one time! :D

Edit: Thanks B88, yes, I do know that site and get some of their stuff. Edit2: I will later add some more labels and of course the objectives and other stuff...

CMPzC%20Ortona_zpsp8i76m5o.jpg

Edited by kohlenklau

PzC Preps Tachometer goes from 0 to 100.

It displays my gut feeling for % overall progress on selecting the PzC submap, defining labels, setting objectives, creating an organization and selecting units within a PzC OOB. editing headcounts to roughly match CM (tweak later). define any reinforcements, define air support, try to create "leader units"...

CM Preps Tachometer goes from 0 to 100. 

It displays my gut feeling for % overall progress on master map creation, CM OOB creation (headcounts, bell curve of experience, bell curve of motivation, names, special attributes, "sprinkles")...