Donetsk Airport map

Hi grunt GI,

I apologize to all of you for not having given any news. Well, to tell you the truth I have discovered that the scale of my map was wrong, while looking at a map  drawing, done for a campaign WIP by Kohlenkau. I gave him mine anyway, it could be of some use, for some of the tactical fights.

That scale error explains, why I had some difficulties on the slopes leading from the airport to the rail tracks and the buildings, located  all the way up on the right. My slopes were usually two times more inclined that they should have been, since the length of the map was half of what it was on the real ground !. How did I do that  ? I don't know, but believe me that was changing a lot the Tactical deployment of the troops around, either in defense and or attack. That was something I had noticed and that lead with the slope matter to the discovery of the scale problem. So, we will all benefit of the new and real scale.

That might not have been noticed to some of you, but it was to my eyes something I could not leave as it was. That is why I have been working on the runway, on a new map being this time rightly at the scale.

So my biggest problem at the moment is the time that could be available to work on it, besides the fact that I have been traveling frequently since May.

But I assure you that I have not dropped my project and as matter of fact like some of you have already experience it, when you do it a second time, it is usually better than the first, easier to do and  therefore faster..I shall post the new runway as soon as the slope will be done. The terminal will benefit of that, be longer and a real challenge in the coming battle

So, to resume the situation,  it is only a question of available time for me.

Thanks to all of you, for your renewed support,

Cheer

Thanks very much for the update.

I know map markers are very fussy about their maps, and CM players are better for it.

Appreciate the update. Thanks for all your hard work. I know I don't have enough time to play, much less create new content.

Looking forward to the finished product...and hopefully a great campaign.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Tools of CM editor dont't allow to reflect this... Just see how looked new terminal inside in last day of defense. These photos made 18 Jan. This last small space was last stand of Cyborgs. Next day two huge explosions will demolished the roof above them anf the floor under them - about half of them will die... 

Sector directed to the side of old terminal. In holes in the roof enemy threw grenades, smoke grenades and gas.

H-t1uQMeKTQ.jpg

5PYgABtYqTA.jpg

Only the guy left survived, was captured. Now he returned to home. In the middle - commander of 7th company of 80th airmobile battalion. Right - platoon commander. Both KIA...

coBKTAIg5Wk.jpg

PclaWxpxDtc.jpg

Man with cup in hand - legendary medic of 80th airmopbile brigade Ihor Zinych (Callname "Psyho"). He did amazing and inbelievable things. He saved many lives and even conducted surgical operations directly in terminal when temperature fell to -25 C (-13 F). He stood in this ice hell about month. In last days was wounded, but rejected to evacuate. Got lost during explosion - his body was cut in two parts by concrete plate...

etTDhzM_Uxw.jpg

Empty boxes - weak cover against fragments and bullets. This guy from 3rd battalion 9th company of 80rh airmobile brigade. KIA.

XI0lM9c5E9Q.jpg

n2CMXp3FtS8.jpg

Edited by Haiduk

It's appreciated that you do such xnt work snake.  You only get one chance to make a good first impression.  So, glad you are taking the time to do it right.  The only issue can be getting too perfectionist and 2nd guessing one's good first instincts when "good enuff" is appropriate.

@all,
Thanks for the Intel about the way the fight went on.
Thanks again for waiting the release of that scenario and your kind comments.
I have been as a matter of fact ever since, I started to redo the map at the right scale, moving abroad few times for up to  three weeks and only a week for the shortest ones. Most of the time, I could only take a tablet and daily connection was not a certainty, once I arrived. Besides, my laptop taken only on one trip is unable to cope with the map needed memory and speed.
I still stick to my objective to end the map and then release the scenario. Few battles are in the hoven and all need accurate curves and height features on the map. Otherwise, the battle will not be fought has it had been done. This is the less we can do. The Battle at the airport, was a small Stalingrad with fighting intensities never seen since WWII. That is why, I do not have the right to make an innacurate map thinking at all who died there on both sides. This battle, Will be surely be taught in Military Academies in forecoming years, since the fight could have been fought different ways and also, because it derives from what is Usually done. Meanwhile, this scenario will allow the players to fight it the way they feel best.
Written from somewhere abroad.
Cheer

@Buzz,     

Thanks, you will find the new map ideally suited for good tactical engagements either at close range and or at longer ones. The new setting of the correct curves height makes a real change. Remember that I was wondering why the area at the end of the runway was different from what I had on the pictures I had gathered. That is not anymore a problem.

Cheer

Edited by snake_eye

The Battle at the airport, was a small Stalingrad with fighting intensities never seen since WWII. 

Battle for Luhansk airport was shorter in time, but its rage and intensity were no less than in Donetsk. But this battle not so well-known like DAP, especially in western media... But in Luhansk airport 29-31 of August 2104 in deadly fight clashed Russian VDV with T-90A support and our units of 80th airmobile brigade with some ATGM "Stugna-P" and 1st tank brigade. Losses form both sides was very big - even after our guys manage to break through, Russians two days didn't risk to enter in abandoned and totally ruined airport... But this is another story...

Edited by Haiduk

• 4 months later...

@Buzz,     

Thanks, you will find the new map ideally suited for good tactical engagements either at close range and or at longer ones. The new setting of the correct curves height makes a real change. Remember that I was wondering why the area at the end of the runway was different from what I had on the pictures I had gathered. That is not anymore a problem.

Cheer

Howdy...just wondering if this is stored on your hard drive waiting for time to work on?  Hadn't forgotten about it.  :D

@grunt_GI

As a matter of fact I had few days ago a look at the files I had done. The first one with the short runway ! and the new one with the correct length. That is the one I have to finish. looking at the first one with the terminal done, I know that I will have to work on it for some time. I had many things done lately, besides traveling abroad, that kept me away from this work. My laptop when I travel is not anymore able to cope with the speed  and graphic view I need while working in the editor and looking at the 3D view. So that did cut my possible working time on it by two lately.

So, I won't give any date, but you can be sure that I will resume soon my work on it and finalize the design of a scenario which should be interesting and depict more or less with some veracity the kind of fights that were fought there.

Since these battles left many scars on both sides, I think that it would be wise not to design a scenario too accurate these days, since the atrocities made on both sites are still present in the memories of all. However, the way the battle was fought tactically can be used in the scenario.

Haiduk will be of a great help at that time. If he is willing to test the AI and the scenario OOB, I shall gladly wait for his comments, since I do not want to do something far from reality.

Thanks for your interest Grunt_GI, it somehow kicks me and should get me to resume that work

Cheer

• 1 month later...

This has to be the most awesome and exciting thing i have seen in a while im really pumped for this project and i wish u all the luck in the world snake eye....please if its not to much of a hassle could we get another update of the work in progress on this very exciting project...thanks much 

08022011-rapid-trident8.jpg

Edited by milehighkush

Well, thanks for your interest in the scenario. It is really an exciting work and I have to be careful while making the map. It takes time and a lot of sweat, but it moves forward. I shall be able to get some time to work exclusively on it soon. in any case, if the new map does not satisfy me, I still have the first one that could be modified slightly. I don't think that it will make a huge difference, tactically speaking. Stay tune.

Cheer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am still working on the 6300 x 2700 map. The airport buildings can be considered to be finished. The runway also. The old airport is having at the moment my attention as well ,as the area on its right. The control tower is done and its surrounding will be treated next.

The area where the small lake is found and the small river flowing from it on to the right are done. Next I will have to put the houses along the roads which have been positioned.

Some earth work made for protecting the SAM launchers and some tanks have been emplaced and judging from the pictures they seem to fit well in the landscape.

Many flavors objects have been used on the parking lots.

They are more time to spend designing the map awaiting me, but I am on the right way.

Cheer

CM Black Sea 2016-06-14 15-57-45-21.png

CM Black Sea 2016-06-14 15-56-34-04.png

• 1 month later...

It is time to show you some views of the battlefield. just take notice that the trees square patches along the side of the parking are just there to remind me of what they look like. I put them there starting from left to right ( A, B, C.......) in that order. Just an easy way to see how they look like !

There still are a lot of work to do, but if I can allow myself to leave some testing aside, I should be able to move forward more quickly. i have already made an OOB for the Ukrainians and set the troops on positions on the far left of the map when you open it in CM. On the view it is before the control tower and the small river, looking toward the houses being on the right of the airport.

Cheer

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-54-39-70.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-54-24-02.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-55-16-52.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-55-47-15.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-56-16-81.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-56-43-94.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-57-04-33.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-57-24-56.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-07-19 16-58-29-76.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 19.07.2016 at 6:13 PM, snake_eye said:

It is time to show you some views of the battlefield. just take notice that the trees square patches along the side of the parking are just there to remind me of what they look like. I put them there starting from left to right ( A, B, C.......) in that order. Just an easy way to see how they look like !

How much storeys have your control tower ? I gues it slightly lower, then real, though possibly it just such effect on screenshot... Tower was 51 m in heght - this like standard 16-17 storey building. Editor has only 14 storey, but you can try to make extra-height by creating of "terrain cube" and set on it 14-storey building. Enough height of tower is critically important for defense.

1 hour ago, Artemis258 said:

Bloody hell... This looks insane! I would ADORE a quick battle (purchase own forces for funsies) attack/defend on this! Battalion level perhaps, Ukkranians falling back to the airport for a last stand... ^_^ 

In real this building defended some more then combined company with heavy artillerey, MLRS and mortar support. To keep too much troops in light constructions, which almost not contain concrete or brick walls - this just increase own bodycount...

• 3 weeks later...