Donetsk Airport map

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 4:06 AM, grunt_GI said:

ahhh... @snake_eye it's time for the quarterly, how's the map going question....

Yeah, it's really about time. Still working on it when I have some free time. the map is very big and it takes an awful long time to put the things together. But it should be later rather interesting to set a battle on it. I have quite a  few ideas for the OOB and I am eager to have it completed.

Here after are the latest shots taken today. Enjoy

Cheer

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-04-07-33.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-04-44-23.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-05-10-56.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-05-19-50.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-06-17-72.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-06-34-30.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-06-56-38.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-07-26-89.jpg

CM Black Sea 2016-09-18 19-08-09-87.jpg

Edited by snake_eye

• 8 months later...

Many testing and RL events have taken their share in the WIP. More, when I am moving I can not get from my laptop the same facilities, I have from my desktop. That is not an excuse, but an annoying reality. To take with the laptop( being on the move) the following, 5 pictures showing my latest work, it took me nearly 7 minutes to load  the battle ( not having restarted the laptop to clear the memory). Imagine the time it takes using the editor !  So between my frequent moves, I work on the map which I admit is huge on my desktop (top gear).

Therefore, I have layed down the problem to a Beta tester mate and he advised me to reduce the size of the map, since only top gear desktop will be able to play the scenario with some comfort. I wanted first to have all the runway length on the map (6300 x  2700 meters), so I will have to reduce it of 30 to 50% at the most.

That is surely, what I will do. The initial map will be finished later for a second scenario. I fully realize the frustration of some of you with that very long delay, but you can be sure that I am even more frustrated than you are. However, I have chosen to give most of my time to some testing that I feel  have a wider impact on the CM games than on  my own and small (by its importance, not the size !!!) scenario. I am sure you will understand it.

Cheer

CM Black Sea 2017-05-31 08-35-40-74.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-05-31 08-35-53-31.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-05-31 08-36-56-28.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-05-31 08-37-26-34.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-05-31 08-39-30-05.jpg

7 hours ago, snake_eye said:

On my part I never give up against adversity (The one I have to fight against, in order to be able to manage very rare moment to work on that scenario which is areal challenge for me)

Cheer

So those screenshots look fantastic, I am sure this will offer other scenario makers and players plenty of challenges.

Thanks much for sticking with this...

I think that I could release rather soon a smaller map with the airport, the control tower, less than half of the runway, the airport facilities and the houses area seen on the pictures. That will allow players to attempt to defend and or attack the airport depending on the side they will decide to fight. They will only have to put the map file in the Quick Battle repertory.

That will be a small area but I think that players will enjoy it as much as a bigger area and they will be able to load it and play it even with a weaker rig?

Edited by snake_eye

These are the 4 pictures showing  a reduce map size, cut down to 4048 x 2368 meters.

They have been taken in the following order:

left top, left bottom, right top and right bottom

He took me a long time (few minutes) to load the 3D view in the Editor , only to been unable to move the view, my memory being overloaded (I had not restarted my Win 7 PC), so I had to do with the map only. You will understand that I will have to wait to be back home in two weeks to be able to finish the map. Fences have to be added around some houses, some RR tracks checked as well as other things that I have not in mind at the moment but that I would rather not forget. It would an idiot thing on my part to let you have a map not up to your expectation.

If you think that the size could be reduced to a length of 3000 meters or less let me know. Take in account that the following are part of the battle area and should not be omitted :

The airport terminal, the control tower, the airport facilities on the right, the houses seen all the way down (of the map). Spartak (from memory ?) on the top right. Could it be cut down ? Maybe not since it was part of the airport defence. Haiduk could say more about it.

CM Black Sea 2017-06-02 10-10-55-79.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-06-02 10-10-58-92.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-06-02 10-11-08-51.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-06-02 10-11-10-72.jpg

Spartak has main positions from were DNR forces attacked and shelled terminals. As well as monastery-fortified point in Vesele SW from trminals. To cut it or not - all depend from what player wants - historical scenario, or just "scramble in airport-type area".

I have plans to make completely historical ATO campaign (or set of campaigns) for real maniacs, when module(s) will be issued  - and also encounter with map editor limitation. Many of real ATO scenarios demand VERY wide spaces and not fit in allowed map dimensions. I don't know yet how to resolve this problem.

Alas, I can't play your scenario, my integrated Intel video just will melt down %)

Edited by Haiduk

Thanks Haiduk. I will send you a mail when I will be ready to make a Force OOB on the map. But first I will release a QB map as I wrote it. I think that the large map might be very difficult to play for a player, since its computer might have difficulties. So, the map shown above will also be the one for the scenario I intent to do. 

1 hour ago, snake_eye said:

Thanks Haiduk. I will send you a mail when I will be ready to make a Force OOB on the map. But first I will release a QB map as I wrote it. I think that the large map might be very difficult to play for a player, since its computer might have difficulties. So, the map shown above will also be the one for the scenario I intent to do. 

Thanks! About difficulty - all depends how much troops will be on the map. Historicaly its wasn't so much.

Snake Eye, I would love to have a full sized version of your map with no units. I love to play the computer in huge armored scenarios, and I think your map could keep me busy for quite awhile. :D

Edited by Splinty
jh

Hi Splinty,

Like you I favor the original map size I made first. However it is a map which will be played easily in QB only with a recent rig. The graphic card and the RAM must have a good size memory available, that if you want to have a playing comfort. For that reason the smaller map will be easier for the rig to follow up, As I wrote it, the smaller one will have its final touch done on my return and later the bigger one will be finished. I am at the moment thinking of the scenario I might be making. On the smaller one, I could attempt to duplicate (with quite  few historical flexibility) the fight for the approach or defence of the airport terminal. On the bigger one I could make a scenario set in 2017 -2020 for the take over of the airport with a NATO (with Ukrainian forces) counter attack against the Russian forces, after they had started an attack using the area as a Departure Line. The larger and longer size of the map might be perfect for tank battles.

Edited by snake_eye

• 2 weeks later...

Back home, WIP has been resumed. Have a look at the latest pictures. BTW, there is no way now to have a look at the area on Google Earth. It has now a strategic importance. Lucky I had taken shots a year ago. The QB small map will be released soon. Will inform all of you.

CM Black Sea 2017-06-21 14-55-49-96.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-06-21 14-56-08-05.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-06-21 14-56-25-67.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-06-21 14-57-38-50.jpg

CM Black Sea 2017-06-21 14-57-48-30.jpg

Donetz Google earth 210617.JPG

Edited by snake_eye