Donetsk Airport map

i have 2 difrend version on it , first had to figure out how to uppload it to repository. any way i used google map to make it sou there are some thing like elevation and some minor things are not 100% correct. It is then only map , im not yet buildet scenario on it.

Edited by snarre

I have been working on a Donetz map for a while. It is a huge work being 2400 x 3800 meters. Since the amount of woods and houses might be too heavy for normal computers, the size might have to be reduced. I have not decided yet if it has to be done. Anyway it far from being finished being still a WIP map.

The following pictures are shoiwing the airport runways, traffic contro tower and the terminal. All have been damaged. The final picture is showing tghe outskirts of Donetz not far away from the airport, right after the raitracks.

I might release a smaller scenario dealing with the combat around and in the airport before the larger one I would like to do, 

Cheer

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-03-13%2018-23-11

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-03-13%2017-03-55

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-03-13%2017-03-07

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-03-13%2018-23-37

Edited by snake_eye

@snarre

you must use RAR to reduce your file size and or Winzip.

@all

Sure 2 sizes will be done. The smaller one for a tactical fight within the airport vicinity and an assault or a defence battle with some AFV's and tanks for the second bigger one.

I shall post a close up view of the airport today showing more details.

Cheer;

Edited by snake_eye

ahaa ok , thanks for that info. Dam i dont know do i want ewen uppload it now because my version for this map look crapy now :D

ok guys now my version of this map should be findet on repository, sou if you want make own mission to it or play whit frend , have fun then.

plus i recomendet you use kiemes building mod , because other way some buildings look weird and are not correct.

Edited by snarre

Damn ! :)  Thoose Pictures looks AWESOME...Amazing use of the map-editor...

This really shows what can be done with a 'Little' work...Well done !

Thanks. Yeah it is a huge "little work". I am working once more on the ground curve altitude, being not so satisfied with some of them. Even when they are set rightly they don't necessarily give a good effect to my player's eyes. Sometimes, you really have to get away from the real altitude in order to have the map look better.

As soon as this is done, I shall work on a small tactical scenario about the fight at the airport. After having done it a scenario using the original size of the map will be done.

Thanks to all of You for your renewed interest

Cheer

Hullo Guys,

Looking at the map curves it looks like the airport is very vulnerable from troops coming from the North. The highest points are there and the only equivalent is the traffic control tower. No wonder the Separatists shelled it as much as they could to denied the Ukrainian an excellent OP. I would guess that the Separatists infiltrated the airport from the south, since it is full of small roads and small houses with their small gardens dissiminated all around. It should provide a tough urban fight, since the engagement distances should be rather short within that area.

Let me know if I am right or wrong, Since the first scenario will take in account these altitude points and that dense south area.

Cheer

• 2 weeks later...

The map WIP, goes on slowly but methodically. The road network takes a long time and the multitude of small houses with their vegetables gardens in the vicinity of the airport as well.

Another problem which has had to be settled was the curves heights. Whether they were from Google earth overlays and or from maps the 3D view is not always what we figure it should be. So, some heights have to be corrected in order to have a better ground rendering.

Another preoccupation is the amount of the graphics. They might due the map size put to their knees some graphic cards. All of these potentials problems are right now taken in account.

I am confident that the ending will be that of a playable battle.

I shall post soon, some new pictures of the Airport Terminal and of its small rural vicinity, since many things have been changed in that area where fierce fights were fought.

Cheer

Edited by snake_eye

Remember that the steeper the elevation between two closer points the more stress the terrain rendering will cause to the system. So a gentle slope can save you a lot of power.

That's correct. When the slope is steeper it also has an adverse effect on the 3D view. The slope does not fit so well with the surrounding grounds. You must try different height spot in order to make it look better.

• 5 months later...