Was the MG boost only for the Germans?

Been wondering about this for quite a while, as US machineguns don't really seem to be as powerful.

I know MG42 has a reputation, but when I target 4 Stuarts on one enemy team, that's 8 machineguns against 2 enemy soldiers. They don't fall back and even fire at closed range against my assault team.

It's not just the germans.

The lead broom isn't a perfect hedgerow sanitiser. Sometimes they get lucky and don't take any casualties, and if they're any better than Normal, it'll take a lot of repeated suppression to make them bug out without causing a casualty. And they will always rally within 30s, even if Pinned, once you stop the suppression.

You've never tried to gain protection from 50cal fire by hiding in a flimsy building then.

Maybe I should have specified that I was not talking about the 50cal :) It's very rare that infantry have it (in the campaigns and scenarios), and in hedgerow country it's rare to be able to get the range to unbutton tanks reasonably safely, in order to use theirs.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Bulletpoint,

Do you have canister? Stuarts in Normandy did and used it quite effectively vs MG nests in the bocage. Doubler in Closing with the Enemy directly states this as a tactic in Normandy for getting across the farm fields without getting eaten alive by the MGs firing from opposite corners, unfortunately, you can't duplicate the tactic, since you can't put infantry on them to blaze away when the tanks breach the hedgerow.

Regards,

John Kettler

Bulletpoint,

Do you have canister? Stuarts in Normandy did and used it quite effectively vs MG nests in the bocage. Doubler in Closing with the Enemy directly states this as a tactic in Normandy for getting across the farm fields without getting eaten alive by the MGs firing from opposite corners, unfortunately, you can't duplicate the tactic, since you can't put infantry on them to blaze away when the tanks breach the hedgerow.

Regards,

John Kettler

I have lots of canister rounds, but the tanks will only use them when they directly spot enemy soldiers. Anyway, my post was not a complaint about machineguns, neither was it about the tactical situation. It was just curiosity about how the game works and wondering how eight machineguns blazing away wouldn't force the enemy to fall back.

The Stuarts do have HE rounds as well,they should be enough to deal with foxholes,with only a small gun compared to the Shermans,it's not as effective but should do the job.Trenches are another matter though,i would bring arty for those.Canister is mainly used for troops in the open.

As far as falling back,if you have the enemy supressed,they are going nowhere.Ease off for a turn and let the Stuarts do their own thing,once they see a head popping up,they'll use the canister or HE alright.

As far as falling back,if you have the enemy supressed,they are going nowhere.Ease off for a turn and let the Stuarts do their own thing,once they see a head popping up,they'll use the canister or HE alright.

This is also something that puzzles me, because if I send a squad up against a hedgerow, and they start taking MG fire from the other side, after about 2 minutes of being pinned, they will get up and run away.

Sometimes I can flush out enemies in this way too, but often they will just get stuck to the ground seemingly forever, as long as I keep firing on them. 

Don't send a squad up against a hedgerow,send two scouts.Once you find the two guys suppressed,then send a couple or more squads in at the same time.The MG won't be able to suppress them all,thus you will gain fire superiority and the MG won't be there for long either.

Edited by Banex

Bulletpoint,

Regards,

John Kettler

Doubler doesn't say anything about Stuarts firing canister in Closing with the Enemy. He mentions Stuarts only in passing and in the chapter about the bocage fighting, doesn't once refer to canister rounds.

Obviously the MGs on the tanks are not enough to suppress the mg42 team behind the bocage, wether its because of the cover or the mg42 teams level of experience and high morale.... or a combination of both.

To me, if small arms fail to make the enemy run or become suppressed enough, its time to break out the big guns....bocage is thick stuff...

Edited by highlandcharge

I think the use of Vets ( especially with bonuses ) make them almost impervious to incoming fire. This is why I only use Green Troops ( with some use of Leadership & Motivation Bonuses ) in my games as it better reflects RL Battlefield conditions...It may now only take a 2-3 MG's or Inf Platoon to Suppress and eventually make an enemy Squad run away within couple turns.            

Edited by JoMc67

Don't send a squad up against a hedgerow,send two scouts.Once you find the two guys suppressed,then send a couple or more squads in at the same time.The MG won't be able to suppress them all,thus you will gain fire superiority and the MG won't be there for long either.

This is sound advice, and really that's what I would normally do. I'm not a complete newbie, I just like to think too much about how the game works :)

Actually I did not have trouble clearing the enemy position, it was isolated and I had plenty of firepower. I just thought I would try to see if I had enough firepower to flush them out by sheer MG fire. It did not work, and the enemy team was even able to fire back once I got closer. Not sure about their troop quality etc.

Edited by Bulletpoint

It's not that the machine gun boost was only applied to German machine guns, it's that it was applied differently to machine guns mounted on vehicles, which is what you are using. The rate of fire for vehicle mounted machine guns is still at pre-boost levels, which is roughly 60% of boost level. The game engine cannot separate rates of fire for a vehicle's machine gun and main cannon, so buffing the Stuart's machine gun ROF would also buff its 37mm ROF.

To compensate for this the accuracy of vehicle mounted machine guns was significantly boosted. The upshot is that vehicle mounted machine guns are quite deadly with direct fire but kinda suck at area fire.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

It's not that the machine gun boost was only applied to German machine guns, it's that it was applied differently to machine guns mounted on vehicles, which is what you are using. The rate of fire for vehicle mounted machine guns is still at pre-boost levels, which is roughly 60% of boost level. The game engine cannot separate rates of fire for a vehicle's machine gun and main cannon, so buffing the Stuart's machine gun ROF would also buff its 37mm ROF.

To compensate for this the accuracy of vehicle mounted machine guns was significantly boosted. The upshot is that vehicle mounted machine guns are quite deadly with direct fire but kinda suck at area fire.

Interesting but disappointing to know.