• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
    • Battlefront.com

Forum Reorganization   10/12/2017

We've reorganized our Combat Mission Forums to reflect the fact that most of you are now running Engine 4 and that means you're all using the same basic code.  Because of that, there's no good reason to have the discussion about Combat Mission spread out over 5 separate sets of Forums.  There is now one General Discussion area with Tech Support and Scenario/Mod Tips sub forums.  The Family specific Tech Support Forums have been moved to a new CM2 Archives area and frozen in place. You might also notice we dropped the "x" from distinguishing between the first generation of CM games and the second.  The "x" was reluctantly adopted back in 2005 or so because at the time we had the original three CM games on European store shelves entitled CM1, CM2, and CM3 (CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK).  We didn't want to cause confusion so we added the "x".  Time has moved on and we have to, so the "x" is now gone from our public vocabulary as it has been from our private vocabulary for quite a while already.  Side note, Charles *NEVER* used the "x" so now we're all speaking the same language as him.  Which is important since he is the one programming them
altipueri

v3.11 crashes with quick battles

Out of curiosity I decided to test the 3.12 patch and I too noticed that Priest is missing in QB just like User100 described. I have the base game + CW + MG (NO VP or BP). 

Edit: Tried to set US force type to armor and selected automatic purchase -> crash 

Edited by Edon

^ Formations were missing in 3.11 to begin with, not the 3.12 patch. On the previous page at bottom I posted more information on the issue, missing US formation groups. Maybe a patch or something messed something up before 3.11 or 3.11 itself when they were creating 3.11 master install? Or just something before that.

Edited by user1000

I did more tests. Not always but sometimes when computer picks automatically allied airborne infantry for a quick battle this time it doesn't crash, it loads the map fine but there is nothing there, no units at all are shown to play with. Human chosen manually seems to work for allied airborne but some formations may be missing. It's just the computer (auto) chosen with them.

Now I am afraid that not only armor but there is more allied units with missing formations.

Would someone please confirm and someone else who has the CM:BN 3.11 or 3.12 version and no mods, on Quick Battle when allied airborne infantry is set to auto pick for a battle there are no airborne forces on the map?

Edited by user1000

Here is the problem described above. Again it happens probably 1 or 2 times out of 5, and not always. I thought this problem was along the same line as the missing us armor formations problem. So I did not create a new thread.

Edited by user1000

I did more tests. Not always but sometimes when computer picks automatically allied airborne infantry for a quick battle this time it doesn't crash, it loads the map fine but there is nothing there, no units at all are shown to play with. Human chosen manually seems to work for allied airborne but some formations may be missing. It's just the computer (auto) chosen with them.

Now I am afraid that not only armor but there is more allied units with missing formations.

Would someone please confirm and someone else who has the CM:BN 3.11 or 3.12 version and no mods, on Quick Battle when allied airborne infantry is set to auto pick for a battle there are no airborne forces on the map?

BF is working on a "hot fix" patch for those who have this problem as I do. Just so you know. ;)

I bought Market Garden thinking it would solve the problem some how, but the problem is still there unfortunately.

Edited by user1000

On 1/4/2017 at 6:17 AM, user1000 said:

I can report that with all CMBN modules then updating to engine 4.0, the crashes have been fixed.

I think what fixed your problem was buying the vehicle pack maybe?

Has anyone tried if it crashes if you don't have the VP but upgrade to 4.0?

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Humm I'm confused, why are you assuming that @user1000 bought the vehicle pack?

3 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

My assumption is that @user1000 has done just that, otherwise why would he say it is fixed?

11 hours ago, IanL said:
15 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Humm I'm confused, why are you assuming that @user1000 bought the vehicle pack?

Because he said "with all CMBN modules", so I assumed that also included the vehicle pack. Also I think I read another post from him where he said he had bought the VP.

Just trying to find out if the 4.0 upgrade fixes the QB crashes on its own.

17 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

@ Ian i did buy the vehicle pack which fixed the quick battle crashes for me, but i still did not see the m8 scott in quick battles. Then i updated to 4.0 which added the m8 scott back i guess and all is good. Totally true and good point bulletpoint, I do not know if 4.0 qb does not crash without vehicle pack.

Edited by user1000

Just trying tonight for the first time to play LAN with my son and get crashes every time I try to start a QB.  Obviously this hasn't yet been fixed after more than a year?  I am running CMBN/CW with 3.12, no Market Garden, no vehicle pack.  It crashes every time I try to allow auto purchase of units, US attack, German defend.  Even when picking units it crashes if I hit the 'suggestion' button, every time.  Anyone have any updated info?

Hi Folks!

I'm a big fan of CMBN and have 3.11 with no extras. I have the same problem with crashes when armor is chosen for automatic selection for USA in a QB. Has a solution to this issue been found yet without having to spend money?

I realize there are later versions but I am hoping to get confirmation that certain specific steps will fix this problem.

Running on PC with Windows 7.

Many thanks for any help!

Edited by JeffPreston
Specify PC

Hi @JeffPreston welcome to the forum. It looks like purchasing the vehicle pack solves the issue what is not clear if a bug fix was made to 4.0 so that it works without the vehicle pack. I am unsure if there are plans to make any more fixes for 3.x of CMBS. There is one more patch 3.12 but from comments above that will not fix things for you.

OK I had a look at the internal database and it looks like there was a fix put into 3.12 to address this. I see that @aleader's comment above seems to indicate that it did not fix the problem for him but it is possible that his issue is not the same. The description and the fix are specific to auto selecting US forces which matches your description. @JeffPreston I recommend that you install the 3.12 patch and see if it does address your issue.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I installed 3.12 patch and the problem is the same - no change. Is buying more software (the 'vehicle pack') the only known solution at present?

Dang. Sorry that did not work. I believe the answer to your question is yes buying the vehicle pack is the only known solution.

Great heavens! 

Thanks for the information Ian.

I wonder if the publisher is aware of this?

What an extraordinary situation! A product that sold (to me) for $55.00, which clearly contains a serious bug, seen by many and clearly shown to be capable of reproduction was not fixed and the only solution is to spend another $20.00?

I love the game and also have CMSF along with the original CM 1, 2 and 3 - I'm very disappointed to hear this is the only solution.

I'll write directly to the support department and see if anything can be done to help.

Thanks again!

They are sort of aware - the bug was logged and believed to be fixed. Clearly you are still hitting it but everyone in dev thinks the bug is fixed. Contacting support is absolutely the right thing to do.

I am not sure if any more bug fixes are planned for the previous version of the game though but you can ask.

I got a tip off to come take a look at this thread, so here I am :D

If you experience a crash using a particular combo of QB settings in any Engine 3 version of CMBN then the solution is to not use that combo of settings.  I know, it sounds like the old joke "doctor it hurts when I do this" to which the doctor responds "then don't do that", but that really is the only answer here.  Sorry about that.

There's always lingering problems with every single software release ever put out by any company since the dawn of software.  It's simply impossible to provide indefinite support.  Otherwise we'd still be spending our time fixing bugs in CMBO, if it were even technically possible.  What v3.12 is now is what it will forever be.

Note that there is no special code for either the Vehicle Pack (v3.10 and v3.11) or the Battle Pack (v3.12).  Purchasing either of these simply provides you with a license key that unlocks the content specific to those releases.  Based on what people have said above, it appears that one of the US Vehicle Pack vehicles was improperly assigned to a "normal" Formation.  If you have the Vehicle Pack licensed then there's no problem, but if you don't then you're in a situation where the game gets confused and crashes.  Upgrade 4 apparently fixed the core problem and so the Vehicle Pack is not needed for those with using Engine 4.

Steve

Hi Steve:

>> Upgrade 4 apparently fixed the core problem and so the Vehicle Pack is not needed for those with using Engine 4.

Can you tell me if it is the case that the product 'CM Normandy - UPGRADE 4 (Windows)' will certainly fix this problem? 

If not, can you tell me if there is some other place I can look to find out if someone knows of a definitive answer to the question?

As you can imagine, it's disappointing to find that features shown in the demo of CMBN don't actually work when you decide to buy the product. Regardless, I am such a fan of the game that I would like to finally have a working version somehow.

- Jeff

On 8/5/2017 at 9:45 AM, JeffPreston said:

Hi Steve:

>> Upgrade 4 apparently fixed the core problem and so the Vehicle Pack is not needed for those with using Engine 4.

Can you tell me if it is the case that the product 'CM Normandy - UPGRADE 4 (Windows)' will certainly fix this problem? 

If not, can you tell me if there is some other place I can look to find out if someone knows of a definitive answer to the question?

The best resource is the people who have posted here since they are the ones actively trying to use it.  However, I unlicensed my copy and relicensed without the Vehicle Pack active.  I was able to select a QB with American Armor without crashing.  That is consistent with what the others have said.  I have a Mac but the Windows version uses the same code so all should be good.

As you can imagine, it's disappointing to find that features shown in the demo of CMBN don't actually work when you decide to buy the product. Regardless, I am such a fan of the game that I would like to finally have a working version somehow.

- Jeff

Nobody likes bugs, least of all us because patches are a real PITA and distraction for us.  Unfortunately, the complex inter-dependencies which allow people to pick and choose what they do and do not buy creates a lot of variables which are not easily tested for.  It's also the case that most of the CMBN customers still actively playing Engine 3 have the Vehicle Pack, so we got into a situation where it wasn't an overt boo-boo.  If this crashed for all Engine 3 users it probably would have been caught in testing and certainly would have been discovered within days of the patch release.

Unfortunately progress is rarely without bumps in the road!  Thanks for understanding and your support.

Steve