CM Helper 1.6.1 available

• 4 weeks later...

Phenomenal utility, thanks so much for your work on this.

Is there a way to manually delete the data for a game? I have one in particular engagement that is bugging out, can't end it, doesn't detect new turns, I think largely because it was our 2nd attempt but we didn't change the game name. Displays last action as 16555 days ago etc...

Phenomenal utility, thanks so much for your work on this.

Is there a way to manually delete the data for a game? I have one in particular engagement that is bugging out, can't end it, doesn't detect new turns, I think largely because it was our 2nd attempt but we didn't change the game name. Displays last action as 16555 days ago etc...

You tried right-clicking on the game row in CMH, and choosing "End Game"? (Apologies if that's a dumb question, but not sure from your post if you've done that or not ...)

You tried right-clicking on the game row in CMH, and choosing "End Game"? (Apologies if that's a dumb question, but not sure from your post if you've done that or not ...)

Yeah, sorry should have mentioned that. Both my opponent and I have tried using the "End Game" option (with all permutations of checked boxes thereafter) but we cannot get the game to clear from the register. 

Yeah, sorry should have mentioned that. Both my opponent and I have tried using the "End Game" option (with all permutations of checked boxes thereafter) but we cannot get the game to clear from the register. 

Have you tried closing CMH, "manually" deleting any and all saved game files within CM itself and (temporarily, if necessary) deleting the associated drop box folders, then re-starting CMH?

And perhaps if that doesn't work, downloading and using a "fresh" copy of CMH? (Which would find and continue your existing games, but hopefully not resurrect the one that "isn't there"?)

• 2 weeks later...

GreenAsJade,

I downloaded your program, but is there some sort of tutorial for it? Maybe I was just too out of it when I first tried it, but I couldn't figure out how to run what you so kindly provided. I have a dark suspicion I'm missing something obvious here. I've queried the Tech Support for CMBN, but so far have had no response on a tutorial. Am now going direct to the man who made it to begin with.

Regards,

John Kettler

GreenAsJade,

I downloaded your program, but is there some sort of tutorial for it? 

I also downloaded CM Helper 1.6.2 and dropbox 3.4.6 yesterday.  Prior to this my PBEM friend and I used sendthisfile.com for PBEM games.  I thought I would move up to the new technology since most people seem to use CM Helper and dropbox.  But since I have never used CM Helper or dropbox it would be nice to get some adult supervision on it.  I did a forum search and found topics on specific problems but nothing that explained the process in general.  I un-zipped the CM helper file and have it on my desktop.  Do I drop it into a CM game file?  I am reluctant to start clicking on things and moving them around since I obviously don't know what I am doing and don't want to screw anything up.  Any pointers would be great.    

A question.  I started two PBEM battles just to test things out.  One of the battles was CMBS Going to Town.  I saved it and it appeared in the CM Helper.  No problem.  The other one was a Quick Battle.  I changed the file name from quick battle 001 to MOS vs opponent.  It shows up in my CM outgoing e-mail but not in the CM Helper.  Are we not suppose to change the file names?  I was just looking for a way to tell it apart from other quick battle PBEM games I might start.  If they are all labeled quick battle xxx how would you tell them apart?  I'm sure its just me since the CM Helper / Dropbox is new to me.   

Any ideas what I did wrong?  Was it changing the file name?

The below is from the help file.  CM Helper did not detect my quick battle when I saved the first turn.

In the case where you are starting the game, CM Helper will automatically detect the new game as soon as you save the first turn.   You can use CM Helper to start the sharing process with your opponent, using the game's right-click option "Create Dropbox Folder":

I would suggest adding a number to the end of the file name. I don't know about CMHELPER but Whose Turn Is It will not realize the file is a turn if there is no number at the end.

Thanks for trying to help a brother out Ian.  Looks like you don't even use CM Helper but you still took the time to give the problem some thought and post a reply.  I appreciate it. The examples they show in CM Helper have names with no numbers after them.  But I think they might be the original scenario name?  I will keep experimenting around with it and get it figured out.  Thanks again.    

CMH definitely looks at the number. In my experience it will not work without it.

CM automatically increments existing numbers and usually works with three digits, so whatever you start, add 001 to when saving.

CMH will add a tilde to older files as a method of tracking what is turn already taken, so when you play you will see

~MOS v Bud 003

MOS v Bud 004

Where only the latter file is the one you wish to take, but the older file is still there if you wish to look at a previous turn.

In my experience the folder names can be anything, as long as you tell CMH where to look using the Edit Game option.

Edited by Bud_B

Vanir and Bud, thanks for the answers.  I got CM Helper to work in one of two games.  It may even be working in the second game.  Just waiting for my opponent to send the turn back and see if CM Helper will recognize the incoming file.  This CM Helper is a pretty cool system and should really help to track and move the incoming and out going files of multiple games.  I always wondered how some people were able to have four or five PBEM games going at the same time.  Now I think I know.