Ost Front Books

I have 3 books I want to choose from and I can only buy one, I would love it if you guys could tell me which one is the best.

"Battleground Prussia: The Assault on Germany's Eastern Front 1944-45"

by Prit Buttar

"Korsun Pocket"

By Niklas Zeterling

Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front

By Gunter K. Koschorrek

Edited by Raptorx7

I actually don't have any of those. I went with Hell's Gate by Nash on the Korsun-Chekassy pocket

The book you noted comes on kindle and is a lot cheaper, but I really like Hell's Gate. Only problem with kindle is if there are maps, you pretty much can't see details.

I haven't read any of those books, but another forumite (Sublime) highly recommended the Buttar book:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117714-anyone-reading-or-read-prit-buttars-excellent-battleground-prussia/

Ah good, that's the book I ultimately chose, I cant wait to dig into it!

Edited by Raptorx7

If you in the mood for an audiobook/ podcast series, I thoroughly enjoyed Dan Carlins 'Ghosts of the Ostfront"

He is an incredibly vivid storyteller.

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-ghosts-of-the-ostfront-series/

Try his World War 1 series for free if you want to check him out.

http://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/

Edited by targo

The east prussia one i have. It was an excellent read and found an.excellent balance operational.level history with tactical anecdotes,civilian,etc. That said only one.of.the three ive read but def. One of the better ost frnt books ive read

• 2 months later...

Cracking new book...

Hi,

Quick heads-up on new book..

Stalin's Favorite: the Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army from Kursk to Berlin: January 1943-June 1944 v. 1 by Igor Nebolsin.

Dry, but we are hardcore in here so that’s not a problem ;), but busting with information superbly presented..

Just received my copy.

All the best,

Kip.

Quick heads-up on new book..

Stalin's Favorite: the Combat History of the 2nd Guards Tank Army from Kursk to Berlin: January 1943-June 1944 v. 1 by Igor Nebolsin.

Dry, but we are hardcore in here so that’s not a problem ;), but busting with information superbly presented..

I would hope its superbly presented--$253 at Amazon!!

http://www.amazon.com/Stalins-Favorite-History-January-1943-June/dp/1909982156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431203805&sr=8-1&keywords=stalins+favorite

A little bit early for RT but... I'm 85% of the way through Into Oblivion Kharkov To Stalingrad: The Story Of Pionier-Bataillon 305

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Oblivion-Kharkov-Stalingrad-Pionier-Bataillon/dp/0992274907

It's pretty good.  A lot of detail, especially in the month or so leading up to the 305th divisions entry into Stalingrad when the officer focused on by the author was able to document everything.  Interesting to be reading how the great battle for Stalingrad was being fought mostly by units down to less than 20% strength.  Lots of maps and photos showing you where the text is taking place and a good deal of personal info and anecdotes about the personalities in the battalion with a smattering of soviet battle reports thrown in as well.

-F

Edited by Fenris

A little bit early for RT but... I'm 85% of the way through Into Oblivion Kharkov To Stalingrad: The Story Of Pionier-Bataillon 305

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Oblivion-Kharkov-Stalingrad-Pionier-Bataillon/dp/0992274907

It's pretty good.  A lot of detail, especially in the month or so leading up to the 305th divisions entry into Stalingrad when the officer focused on by the author was able to document everything.  Interesting to be reading how the great battle for Stalingrad was being fought mostly by units down to less than 20% strength.  Lots of maps and photos showing you where the text is taking place and a good deal of personal info and anecdotes about the personalities in the battalion with a smattering of soviet battle reports thrown in as well.

-F

Oh man I think I will be picking this up, I need more physical books honestly, NOOK is convenient but there is nothing better than cracking open a book like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone read Barbarossa derailed, by Glantz. If so, would you recommend it?

Depends on what you're looking for; if you want a very detailed treatment of the battle of Smolensk, with lots of extracts from Soviet orders and reports, then by all means read the book.  If you want an interesting read about the battle, I would avoid it--all of the extracts from the Soviet orders and reports make it very dull reading.  If you want a good book on the campaign up to and including Smolensk, take a look at Luther's book "Barbarossa Unleashed", it is excellent.  Stahel's books on the summer of 41 are also very interesting, but very different.

Depends on what you're looking for; if you want a very detailed treatment of the battle of Smolensk, with lots of extracts from Soviet orders and reports, then by all means read the book.  If you want an interesting read about the battle, I would avoid it--all of the extracts from the Soviet orders and reports make it very dull reading.  If you want a good book on the campaign up to and including Smolensk, take a look at Luther's book "Barbarossa Unleashed", it is excellent.  Stahel's books on the summer of 41 are also very interesting, but very different.

Thanks 76mm! Would you say the same thing for Glantz Stalingrad trilogy (quadrilogy?), to the gates, Armageddon, end game?

I've read Zetterling and Koschorrek. Both are good, but they are totally different genres which makes it hard to recommend one over the other. Koschorrek is a grunt memoir, with not much combat but what appears to be honest and not overly redacted recollections. Some of the characters are quite interesting, e.g. the religious guy in his unit that doesn't want to kill (and in the end gets killed). There is also blatant fraternizing.

Zetterling is a rather dry operational study, with lots of mythbusting and statistics just like in his books on Normandy and Kursk. There are some personal narratives sprinkled throughout, but they're more flavouring than main course.

Thanks 76mm! Would you say the same thing for Glantz Stalingrad trilogy (quadrilogy?), to the gates, Armageddon, end game?

Glantz's Stalingrad series is very dense, but not as boring as Barbarossa Derailed, because generally it consists of narrative history, rather than cut-and-paste from Soviet orders/reports like Derailed.  I you REALLY want to know about Stalingrad, you probably have to read it, but I can't promise that you'll enjoy it!

I just finished reading Marshall of Victory--the english translation of Zhukov's memoirs; it was actually much better than I expected, but pretty long (IIRC 960 pp) and not without a fair bit of the party line.  I also just finished Survivors of Stalingrad, which is accounts by, well, German survivors of Stalingrad, and have just started Stalingrad:  the City that Defeated the Third Reich--accounts by Soviet participants in the battle--so far it looks pretty interesting.

Thanks for the input 76mm. I just got Death of the leaping horseman in the mail.. looks really interesting. 

I've only read one of Mark's books--Island of Fire.  It was amazing, my only complaint was that the book was so focused on the Barrikady fighting that even other fighting in Stalingrad was not addressed at all.  But, given the amazing depth of the treatment of the fighting in the Barrikady, it is hard to fault the author for this.

I've only read one of Mark's books--Island of Fire.  It was amazing, my only complaint was that the book was so focused on the Barrikady fighting that even other fighting in Stalingrad was not addressed at all.  But, given the amazing depth of the treatment of the fighting in the Barrikady, it is hard to fault the author for this.

Wished I'd seen it when it came out, seems to sell for pretty penny now.  The Mark title I mentioned above does deal a bit more with the fighting up to and around the Barrikady if you're interested.  It does focus mostly on the one unit but has a reasonable amount of detail on what's going on around them.

-F

• 7 months later...

Anyone that read "Objective Ponyri! The Defeat of XXXXI. Panzerkorps at Ponyri Train Station" by Martin Nevshemal? Would you recommend? I'm looking order as everything from Leaping Horseman Books looks to be golden. I was super pleased by Death of the Leaping Horseman and Into Oblivion Kharkov to Stalingrad.  

• 4 months later...
On ‎2015‎-‎05‎-‎11 at 2:30 AM, Fenris said:

-F

I totally agree. High quality and thoroughly researched books. I also recommend Marks Besieged: The Epic Battle For Cholm. Protracted, Low scale combat, day by day account from the German side.