Bug or not ? Texture selection with Balanced quality setting

Hi !

I just noticed this.

If you use Texture quality = Balanced you only get up to 4 different textures.

Lets say you use a mod for the us faces with this files:

american-soldier-skin.bmp

american-soldier-skin 2.bmp

american-soldier-skin 3.bmp

up to

american-soldier-skin 8.bmp

Now lets say a face with a balaclava is -> american-soldier-skin 5.bmp

If you use Texture quality = Balanced you will never see that face, only the first 4 bitmaps are used.

Change your Texture quality to Best and all 8 get used.

Might be interesting for modders to know.

I dont know, is this a bug or is it supposed to be that way ?

Can Steve or any other Battlefront insider answer this ?

Edited by Wiggum15

Not a bug.  That is what the texture quality setting does.  If you want all the possible textures loaded into memory, use the highest setting.  Note: the selection is not random as it allows the texture artist to assign more typical textures to the first slots and more exotic textures to the latter slots.  Not relevant to faces really, but can be seen to good effect on German helmets in the WWII titles.

all unit textures, soldiers, vehicles etc can be featured based on the "best vs fast" performance setting. Not sure what the cut-off number is for each performance degree, but don't expect 8 variations of a skin to show up if your settings are at the opposite spectrum to best. 

So is texture 1 more often loaded then texture 4 or does it only go down with the chance after texture nr.4 ?

Once the number of skins are in though, it does not mean texture 1 is loaded more than 4 or 2, or 3 for that matter. Based on what I have observed only, its kind of random. Sometimes 2 will be predominant in one game other times 3 and so on. 

... It can be economical in terms of resources, to use fewer textures in the game depending on your computer. I have a 5 year old i7 but choose to select everything Best, and while using only a small variety of added textures, just my preference. 

Edited by nik mond