Breach by tank?

Alexey K

I wonder, why it is not possible to crush walls by tank. Modern tank should easily demolish brick walls simply by driving through them. However, this action could damage external equipment. This might be view as "cost" of such inappropriate usage of armoured vehilce.

You can crush some walls with tanks and maybe Strykers/BTRs. At least you could in CMSF and CMBN.

Accounts from actual people here who have driven actual tanks for the actual military suggest that urban renewal by ramming is not something tankers enter into lightly. If only because you can't be certain what lies behind any given wall: is it a 60% concrete slope into a storm drain? Tanks, while tough, are not immune to mechanical breakdown, and it is, by all first hand accounts on here by people who've done it (or managed to avoid doing it, rather) surprisingly easy to throw a track. Which isn't something you want to undertake lightly in a combat zone. Of course, if pnzrldr or panzersauerkrautwerfer or any other actual tanker were to contradict what I've just said, I'd surely revise my apprehension in that light. Only having driven a tank the once, around a relatively un-muddy field, myself.

Re: Breach by tank

The optimal way to defeat a wall in a tank is to shoot the wall.  HE/HEAT works well.  Canister is actually pretty good too, the amount of force it inflicts at close range will blow holes in walls, or damage the wall to the point where it's fairly easily breached.  

Running through things is always a bit tricky.  The two big nogos are:

1. It's like Hedgerows in Normandy.  You really don't know what you're about to roll into, while the enemy is pretty clear what you are, and where you're coming from.

2.Hitting things with your gun tube is a bad idea.  I know the Russians require their tubes take some level of abuse for punching through things, but I wouldn't want to test it (knowing how impacts can effect recoil mechanisms, misalign optics, or warp the guntube).  This means you either go gun first, and risk damaging your main weapons system, or turret rear which means you're not going to fight on the other side.

If you have a tank, and you want to go through a wall, give it a shot or two.  It works better, and is the more authentic answer to the question.

Re: Breach by tank

The optimal way to defeat a wall in a tank is to shoot the wall.  HE/HEAT works well.  Canister is actually pretty good too, the amount of force it inflicts at close range will blow holes in walls, or damage the wall to the point where it's fairly easily breached.  

Running through things is always a bit tricky.  The two big nogos are:

1. It's like Hedgerows in Normandy.  You really don't know what you're about to roll into, while the enemy is pretty clear what you are, and where you're coming from.

2.Hitting things with your gun tube is a bad idea.  I know the Russians require their tubes take some level of abuse for punching through things, but I wouldn't want to test it (knowing how impacts can effect recoil mechanisms, misalign optics, or warp the guntube).  This means you either go gun first, and risk damaging your main weapons system, or turret rear which means you're not going to fight on the other side.

If you have a tank, and you want to go through a wall, give it a shot or two.  It works better, and is the more authentic answer to the question.

Yeah, usually I just shoot walls. But recently I had particular situation when a lot of my troops where hid behind wall and had no safe passage other that through it. And they had to stay close to the wall. I had tank but shooting HE was too dangerous for my own troops.

Damage to the vehicle aside, the bigger concern is your bloody tank falling into the basement.  I don't know about the Ukraine but most structures have basements and the most floors simply can not support the weight of a modern tank driving into the building.

Tanks have to use bridges rated for their weight to cross and bridges are designed for vehicle traffic.  Most building and houses are not.

LOckAndLOad,

Thanks for that vid! The wall breech is interesting, but the reason the BTR can do it and still function is that the sharp bow is well past the wheels, as opposed to having the tracks and the tank bow pretty much in the same line. Note also that it did the breech with turret reversed. Additionally, the APC, because it hits relatively high on the wall, exerts a tipping forward force, whereas the tank, which hits much lower, I believe, tends, unless at speed, to collapse the wall back onto itself.

Regards,

John Kettler

Was it really stuck, or did the driver just get arrested? ;)

West-German police wasn't allowed to arrest allied soldiers. East-German even more so. :)

Oh, just noticed that the police car is already blue so that picture is not very old. So now they could have but I doubt it. ;)

It is possible to nudge the wall over while not actually going through to the other side.

edit: IRL I mean.

Yeah, there's a million and one things you can do in Real Life that would be next to impossible to reasonably code for in a game like CM. How would you tell the game that you "just want to nudge the wall over"? You could argue that if the crew got out and reconned a building to make sure it'd stand having a tank in it, they should be able to drive through the back wall and prepare it for shooting out the front. Lots of coding effort for very little return.