Debaltseve Devils - CMBS scenario

One reality this scenario really drove home for me was the caliber change in modern warfare, which for the most part is smaller bullets with less penetration power.  Troops in CMBN could hole up in a heavy building if they wanted to, but a barrage of 30-06 and the 7..92mm German equivalent (as well as 7.62x54R in CMRT, which kicks like a mule if you have ever fired a Mosin or a SVD-imitation Romanian PSG) meant that it was only a matter of time before you caught the right round in the wrong place, or the building slowly came apart.  In this scenario, aside from the heavy MG's and the tank rounds, which really make themselves known once they show up, only the Dragunov's and PKM's/PKP's have the penetrating power needed to really put someone down inside a heavy building vs. what seems like a barrage of 5.45x39 rounds against those walls.  They take much longer to have any chance of getting through some of these buildings, and while the squad now has great rapid-fire ability in the open, in an urban environment, they struggle.  I had remembered it from CMSF, but it had been a long time since I had played that (thanks antivirus programs!) and I had been playing CMBN and CMRT a lot, where urban environments didn't stand up as well to higher-caliber rounds.

RPG's and grenades (launched or otherwise) are still of pretty limited use on a lot of the buildings on this map.

This has been my experience also...

The RPGs often has suprisingly little effect on the enemy...

What i think i will do with regards to the current feedback is to upload a V1.2 of the scenario.

So far only Chudacbra seems to have gotten of to a good start...Hopefully he will be able to defeat this  B)

The scenario seems to be a bit to difficult right now...

I will  give 1st company an on-map mortar team with limited ammo and perhaps also a forward observer...

This should give the player an opertunity to engage the enemy HMG teams prior to the arrival of 2nd company and the tanks  or perhaps he choose to target some reverse slope defenders by the river or save the ammo for later use on the other side of the river...

I think this might be a good compromize...An AGL with 1st company will make them to powerful i think...A mortar team will not be able to do much good against the enemies in cover but an AGL would be able to defeat all enemy possitions...

/RepsolCBR

It certainly has been a success in terms of showing the line in terms of tactics and what squads can do by themselves. 

Yes...this is true...

Those poor seperatist don't have much in the way of support weapons in this scenario and as you mentioned it will hopefully be a good learning experience...

Thanks for your perserverance with this scenario  :) . Your feedback is apprisiated...

These will be my changes for V1.2 (as of now)

- 1st company will get an 82mm mortar and a forward observer.

- the 2 squads in the recon platoon have been upped one level to VETERAN troops.

- The 2 T72s will now have NORMAL moral as opposed to LOW before.

- some typos will be fixed and the description of the scenario lenth will be changed to the correct 80 minutes and not 120...

I will also try to TAG Blimey's SEPERATIST MOD to V1.2 (i have never worked with tags before so we will have to se how this goes... B) )

I will start this editing of the scenario at the begining of next week...

Any comments on these plans are offcourse welcome... :)

I like the tank morale change to normal, I feel like the Russian "volunteers" that are there are probably front-line, professional troops vs. folks who don't want to be there.

Yes...I made the misstake of going with TYPICAL when selecting these tanks and not really checking what i got...Both tanks got LOW moral...

Changing to NORMAL will hopefully not have them bail out if fired upon by HMGs...

NORMAL moral will be OK i think...reflecting previous losses to the unit during the last couple of days...

also...

I did some testing with TAGGING today and i got i working just fine...Blimeys SEPERATIST MOD is in... :)

I finished the first version of this scenario and got a draw. It's very challenging and I really enjoyed it overall. I liked the slightly scrappy forces involved. I feel CM games are often more fun with lower quality forces. I lost one tank to an RPG by being careless, but the other one did quite well. It did make me wish for the high HE ammo load that WW2 tanks carried.

Is there any reason why you gave a BMP-3 to the reinforcements? Seems to me that a BMP-2 would be more realistic, although I certainly appreciate the 100mm and 30 mm cannons. 

Hello, Chudacabra...

Thanks for letting me know how it ended...A DRAW seems like good result...BRAVO !  :)

Did you manage to secure Tango 1 ?

If soo it must have been the loss of the T72 i addition to the commitment of the reserv platoon that prevented you from getting a victory (the AI gets some points for destroying them)...

Yes...Their HE loadout is not all that great compared to a T34 for example...I also spent all- or most of my HE...

The main idea with the BMP-3 is that it is ment to represent additional russian equipment...Perhaps i should clarify that in the briefing with V 1.2...

Thanks for your feedback and WELL DONE !  :)

Hello..

This is an updated version of the original scenario. According to the feedback i got on V.1 of this scenario at the BATTLEFRONT FORUM it might have been a bit to difficult in its original state.

Dropbox:

The file is also uploaded to the Repository but it will not be avaliable there until BFC have rewiewed it..

The following changes where made in this V 1.2 version:

- The 2 squads in the recon platoon are now VETERAN troops as opposed to before being REGULAR.
- The MORAL of the two T72 tanks have been upped one level to NORMAL. Used to be LOW.
- The scenario now have the CORRECT gametime in its description.
- 1st company have now some limited artillery/mortar support
- The briefingtext have had an overhaul and should now be correct english.
- I have TAGGED a mod to this scenario that will have the SEPERATISTS look more the part...

I would like to thank the following FORUM MEMBERS for their help:

Scenario feedback:

- ridethe415, TAKODA, Capt. Toleran, Childress and Chudacabra.

For helping me improving- and correcting the briefingtext:

- SLR

For his excellent SEPERATIST MOD:

Blimey

I hope these changes will make it somewhat easier to achive a victory...

I tried to put the DROPBOX link in the first post of this thread but i could not find any way to EDIT that first post...