Sign in to follow this  
John Kettler

Unwarranted QB Total Victory?

Those of you who know my CMx2 gaming career know I find victory frighteningly elusive and any fight, even wins, massively brutal on my poor pixeltruppen. Therefore, it'd seem unlikely for me to question a victory, never mind a Total Victory, right? True, I did virtually annihilate every defender at the Minor VP location and took it. But while I drove home the Abrams attack in spectacular run and gun style, over on my far right, I sent an Abrams and a woefully underpowered M2A2 ERA Bradley IFV across the ford and onto the major lateral, with the intent to cross unopposed (which I did) and envelop the foe's right. But I was nowhere near the Major VP location, as in on far end of the back of the map when my war suddenly went away. How then did I take what I was never near?

My command, including the rideless CO HQ still on the ridge where it all began, was completely unscathed in men and mechanical steeds alike, but the Russians lost an entire T-72B3 Platoon, an MTLB Platoon and a PRP-4, 28 KIA and 8 WIA. One actual frontovik for MI to interview. All well and good, but why did I receive credit for taking the Major VP after game abruptly ended at Minute 19?

The unexpected Total Allied Victory. Played at Basic Training level.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpnvnakth89vbjf/Screenshot%202015-02-25%2021.37.18.png?dl=0

My force disposition at game end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mltiyh67n5uy5he/Screenshot%202015-02-25%2021.38.51.png?dl=0

Battlefield overview at game end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoshm79xlpsly9x/Screenshot%202015-02-25%2021.39.28.png?dl=0

Major VP is behind town in UL of image. Note location of my forded force.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqgj57xxqvvyh1t/Screenshot%202015-02-25%2021.38.33.png?dl=0

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Further review indicates Russian lumps were worse than I thought. One putative MTLB was a BMP-3M. all the T-72B3s were APS equipped, as was the BMP-3M. It's truly amazing how fast the Abrams responds to being lased when it comes to putting up obscurants. One tank of mine was, I believe, lit up three times in the course of a single turn while rapidly advancing, and each time blasted the assailant after continuing forward through the screen.

Regards,

John Kettler

SLIM,

Appreciate the explanation. Since I started playing CMx2, I've never won a Total Victory. Here's the CMBN thread which chronicles my battles. See for yourself. A major part of the problem is that the requisite neural circuits forming what I call my Tactical Engine aren't available very often, and CMx2 is a perishable skill. Consequently, my combat edge usually isn't all that sharp, with the results to prove it. Stress, exhaustion, illness, alone or in combination, wreak havoc on my ability to play. Ironically, CMx2 is one of my great stress relievers, so being unable to play much of the time is itself stressful!

Happily, either the circuits are working better and/or CMBS is more engaging to my brain, I find it much easier to play CMBS than I did CMBN. Also, I'm way better at doing things in CMx3 than I was when I was blundering my way through CMx2. Some of what I learned there actually stuck, and this has been a big help. Am still getting used to whole formations being shot to pieces in a single CMBS turn, though. It really is amazing they can get people to fight these days.

Regards,

John Kettler

John Kettler, on 26 Feb 2015 - 8:57 PM, said:

Happily, either the circuits are working better and/or CMBS is more engaging to my brain, I find it much easier to play CMBS than I did CMBN.

I think your background as a threat analyst is helping you here.

Good hunting!

SLIM,

I do have some familiarity with the weaponry, which helps. But the BMP-3 series was a difficult to discern blob on the Poligon when I left military aerospace. There were no T-90s I knew of (obviously there were T-72s and T-80s). PRP-3s existed, but I knew nothing of a PRP-4. the thing that amazes me is that I seem to be able to handle faster better than slower. I would say, though, that watching some of the CMRT and CMBS vids where people play from above the force greatly simplify running the battle.

agusto,

Commies? Really?

Daroc,

I have no idea what you just said. Please see if you can explain what you mean in another way.

Regards,

John Kettler 

Sign in to follow this