How do you deal with your perfectionism?

Alexey K

You don't.

A good commander needs to understand his own men and the enemy's; as well as the terrain they are fighting in. If you're fighting on a 4km open map as a RUS Tank battalion, you're going to take higher material losses than the enemy, almost guarenteed if you're fighting a near-equivalent US Force. Once you sell that point to yourself, you can focus on winning. 

DISCLAIMER: That being said, no judgement against people who reload; no better way to learn what went wrong! I did it alot in Normandy's Road to Monteburg - good plan, bad execution etc. Made me learn alot about the intricacies of infantry combat in the CMx2 engine.

Edited by Rinaldi

Being french and therefore having to deal with the " white flag, fleeing surrender monkey " our dear "allies" repeat continually, I never reload or give up ^^

This is a good thing because you indeed learn much more from a defeat !

So thanks a lot for the french bashing ;)

ROTFLMAO! Thanks for that!

Ken

Being french and therefore having to deal with the " white flag, fleeing surrender monkey " our dear "allies" repeat continually, I never reload or give up ^^

This is a good thing because you indeed learn much more from a defeat !

So thanks a lot for the french bashing ;)

Thats just typical for you frenchies. To afraid to give up. If you were real men you would proudly proclaim your flaws and give up. Pfff. :P

I myself only reload when I realise that I missed giving an order, and then I reload while the turn is in its first seconds. If I catch myself thinking about reloading an earlier save I immediately delete all saves I have from the mission and start a different scenario so that I forget the enemy positions.

1) You have to remember the scenarios are tested, retested, and tested some more. The designer will find the optimum placement for his defense or offense. At least the good designers will. This can lead to a feeling of inferiority. Then I realized not all Generals or Company commanders in real life are perfect like Combat Mission scenarios might lead you to believe.

2) Your are going to take losses. That's war. Particularly in Combat Mission! See first bullet point. ;-)

I do whatever feels fun at the moment

Sometimes I reload a lot, sometimes I soldier on

After many years I have come to the simple and obvious conclusion that if I´m not having fun is not worth playing, and accept that sometimes that means reload, cheat or whatever and sometimes it doesn´t

I don´t fight it, it is pointless

Just do whatever feels like fun, it`s just a video game

My personal cheat is to play quick battles where my side has +40%. It sounds awful, but I just cannot stomach a fair fight where 100s of my guys are dying. So instead I make my victory inevitable but I am trying to minimize loses. Then every dead guy hurts and somehow it feels more realistic. At least that's what I tell myself  :)

I was reloading less and less as I went from CMBN / CMFI / CMRT.

Now I find myself doing it a bit more...I'm adjusting to the new technology and lethality of CMBS.

I also just finished reading Karl Marlantes' Matterhorn and What it is like to go to war. When he describes his anguish over losing guys in his platoon, it made me more aware of losing guys in my platoon. I am trying to bring everyone home alive, but realize that ain't gonna happen.

And then there are the days where i just want TO WIN.

If someone ever decides to play against another human opponent then taking casualties is going to be a fact of life.  I don't think anyone can get through an entire battle without taking a casualty.  In all the games I've played since CMx1 was initially released I can only recall one game where I defeated my opponent without taking a casualty and the deck was probably stacked in my favor.

The problem is that if you don't like to take casualties and you play another player in a game then that leads to unfinished games.  It is very disrespectful of your opponent to just disappear because you take a casualty or two and if a player can't take a casualty or two when playing against the AI then chances are that player will have a hard time playing against other people without building up the reputation of being a quitter.  If someone ever wants to take their game to the next level and play against other gamers then not reloading when playing against the AI is the only way that player will be able to build up a tolerance for making it through a tough battle.

So charge into battle and take your lumps.  It will improve your game by forcing you to overcome adversity and it will also improve your gamesmanship if you ever decide to take it to the next level. 

So charge into battle and take your lumps.  It will improve your game by forcing you to overcome adversity and it will also improve your gamesmanship if you ever decide to take it to the next level. 

Spot on.  Don't forget even if you execute your plans perfectly and your plan was good you can still loose.  Why, because the other side is trying its best to win too. 

I just try to play other people almost exclusively.  It is way more interesting anyway, and the back and forth means your unlikely to blow three straight hours, usually.

I only fight against the ai.  I have multiple battles or campaign's going on in every theatre of CMx2. I tend to do piece meal gaming with all the CMx2 titles, jumping back and forth between CMBN, CMFI, CMRT & CMBS /SF battles or campaigns week to week or day to day, depending on my flavour at that moment.  This can take me weeks if not months to complete a battle or campaign.  My turn rates as a human opponent would not be sufficent for most opponents.  Also I do like other sims out there as well as using ZBrush /3ds Max, so I am not always totally commited to just using my spare time on CM.  That is why I like to only play against the ai.

Edited by Blazing 88's

I joked some time ago that some personality types will just let the battles wash over them and enjoy the 'experience', kind'a zen-like. While other personality types would consider sticking a screwdriver into the back of their computer and wiggling it about if they thought might help them win a battle. Winning is everything!  :D

The difference between taking note of AI anomalies in order to avoid then and taking note of AI anomalies in order to exploit them.  ;)

I joked some time ago that some personality types will just let the battles wash over them and enjoy the 'experience', kind'a zen-like.

Apparently a smartphone rpg game is being sold which it plays itself. You just set the alarm clock and check its progress time to time.

Many like it.

I'm more the screwdriver type... I don't wanna look at the puter's back, just at CM's database to see what the heck is going on in there.

I never ever reload. I can abandon if I feel it is all lost, but I go with whatever happens during the game, as I would have to in real life. Dealing with uncertainty, overcoming blows, changing the plan as you go, etc. is what makes tactics so exciting and this game so great. For example, it does not makes sense to me reloading if you have been ambush. Just deal with it.

Edited by speedyglides