Russian equivalent to Javelin

Scrummage

I think it's become fashionable to hit the anti-thesis of "Russia is strong and the US has limitations" and then stopping there without challenging the Russian assertions of supremacy and capability, or accepting that there are some pretty dire limitations on Russian military forces and equipment.  If I made a claim that the US Army has DEW type weapons, the ability to totally annihilate all Russian communications, and a laser that will cause anyone of Russian blood to wee themselves, then I'd be justifiably laughed at.  Someone claims the Russians have the DEWs, can shut down all US electronics, and a laser that'll make bees kill Americans on command....SHOCKING REVELATION ABOUT RUSSIAN SUPERIORITY AGAINST HATO DOG AMERICANS.  Russian claims need to get the same level of scrutiny as American claims, with the additional caveat they're doing it on a smaller budget with more limited technology (in the practical sense of R&D, it doesn't rule out doing "smart" stuff, it's just they have a drastically smaller tech sector to work on such things/come up with stuff the military can steal)

People readily belevie what is comfortable to beleive and quiestion everything that pushes them out of their comfort-zone.

That is especially easy to do when you know nothing of subject :)

Hehe well.. I did start an interesting discussion didnt I .. They could do something like this against Ukraine .. But probably not against the US .. The draining batteries part made me laugh but paralysing comms and electronics against Ukraine .. Maybe.

Edited by antaress73

Hehe well.. I did start an interesting discussion didnt I .. They could do something like this against Ukraine .. But probably not against the US .. The draining batteries part made me laugh but paralysing comms and electronics against Ukraine .. Maybe.

I've noticed that X-Ray scanning in airports noticeably cut battery charge of my devices. 

May be it is that? I mean like "we detonate nuclear charge right behind you to.... er... discharge your batteries"

Sounds like a good idea, right? :)

I've noticed that X-Ray scanning in airports noticeably cut battery charge of my devices. 

May be it is that? I mean like "we detonate nuclear charge right behind you to.... er... discharge your batteries"

Sounds like a good idea, right? :)

That makes no sense at all.  The energy in those batteries has to go some where.  The only place is into use in the device and or as heat.  There is just no that XRays could cause that as far as I can see.  I would be happy to be shown how it could work but all I see are various claims that "it happened to me" but all the investigative work shows that XRays have no such effect.  It is far more likely that the battery level indicator was fibbing to you - they are not perfect.  I have seen many times when I glance at a device that has not been used for a while I see some high level indicated and then a few moments later it shows a much lower one.  I think the main reason is the UI is showing its last known information and once it has a chance to get updated it will show you the real value.

The first sign - failure of all means of communication, full discharging of batteries in vehicles, tanks and other equipment, at the same time, discharge of batteries in mobile phones, the targets, and radio stations. Then, there is a rapture of electric circuits throughout all the equipment - all of it. This is EMP. All engines stall, no way to restart. This is how the system "X" works (in order to protect the author we do not specify the name), with a range of up to 20 km.

My bold, draining of batteries is not something EMP does.  It just isn't.  Sounds like a wild claim but then that is pretty much on par with the whole article.

You can see the danger of reading such crappy information though.  Our brains are good and remembering interesting things but they suck at remembering where we learned them which means that if you are not on your guard when you read bad information (dismissing it as you go) you can easily get sucked into remembering some "fact" that you can later recall but cannot remember where it came from.  Which means you end up tricking yourself into believing something totally wrong.  I admit it has happened to me.

That makes no sense at all.  The energy in those batteries has to go some where.  The only place is into use in the device and or as heat.  There is just no that XRays could cause that as far as I can see.  I would be happy to be shown how it could work but all I see are various claims that "it happened to me" but all the investigative work shows that XRays have no such effect.  It is far more likely that the battery level indicator was fibbing to you - they are not perfect.  I have seen many times when I glance at a device that has not been used for a while I see some high level indicated and then a few moments later it shows a much lower one.  I think the main reason is the UI is showing its last known information and once it has a chance to get updated it will show you the real value.

Why not heat? Every kind of energy evetually will be converted to heat :)

P.S. Okay, I didn't do any measures so it could be just unbased impression.

Edited by Alexey K

Why not heat? Every kind of energy evetually will be converted to heat :)

Indeed.  Was your device hot?  I mean really hot.  If the energy in a phone or computer battery was just released as heat over the time frame of an XRay scan it would be damn hot - you would feel it.  It would be way hotter than usual.  Have you ever had a smart phone where an app did something crazy and the phone got so hot you noticed it.  It would be way more sudden than that.  Likely it would get into the range of melt something or cause a fire hot.  That's why there are restrictions on batteries in checked baggage because if they short out the heat is pretty intense.

Indeed.  Was your device hot?  I mean really hot.  If the energy in a phone or computer battery was just released as heat over the time frame of an XRay scan it would be damn hot - you would feel it.  It would be way hotter than usual.  Have you ever had a smart phone where an app did something crazy and the phone got so hot you noticed it.  It would be way more sudden than that.  Likely it would get into the range of melt something or cause a fire hot.  That's why there are restrictions on batteries in checked baggage because if they short out the heat is pretty intense.

I didn't say all battery was drained in single shot. It was like 100% before scan and 90% right after scan.

You guys figure out how to drain my battery with X-rays and DEW...meanwhile, I will be over hear watching my javeline terminal dive on your tank.

My point is that even if the tech exists, it's a different thing to apply it in the field and altogether more difficult in combat. Not likely any time soon

The battery gets drained as you pass TSA checkpoints because that's how the NSA bugs your phone. While you're standing there, the run a hard-look program, sweep-back, GPS breadcrumb, email, text and web trace. You don't think the TSA cares about you? It's a setup, man...

For an EMP weapon to successfully destroy military electronics it must have a fast rise time, create a large E field at a significant range, and be the correct frequency to couple through the front or back end of a device. Not even nuclear EMP satisfies all these conditions well. This explains why EMP weapons are not in widespread use and I don't see them as an emerging threat either (at least to US military electronics). 

Edited by nsKb

EMP just isn't a generic electronics killer.  Even in civilian electronics.  Different manufacturing processes, manufacturing time periods, different materials, etc, would need an EMP capable of hitting their specific parameters.  Not impossible, but outside large budgeted militaries, not an economy killer or nation killer.

*blink*blink*   Yeeaah...Riiight.   Was it April 1 in Russia the day that article came out?

Edit:  looking at the rest of the articles on that site - if it is typical of unbiased reporting in Russian, the best thing the West can do is do is send massive shipments of tin foil hats for the Russians to wear.   I have never seen such tripe in my life.

Edited by BlackMoria