Armata soon to be in service.

Lee_Vincent

I know its not 195, but the turret construction looks very similar in layout. 195 chassis is much bigger, and the gun is of different caliber.

The 2A82 might be a placeholder for now, its not exactly got to fire on parade has it, just look like it can at some point. They will probably throw some thermal sleeve and barrel warp compensator equipment on there after the parade and they go back to the Tagil factory.

Edited by Stagler

I know its not 195, but the turret construction looks very similar in layout. 195 chassis is much bigger, and the gun is of different caliber.

Uhm, how can you make a conclusion that it's similar? The photo you brought up shows only what might be an APS, but not the turret itself. There's a different photo, however. But even here, I bet they've put that box (prolly even wooden) on top of the barrel just to troll foreign intelligence. These kind of photos usually don't get out unless leaked on purpose.

%25D0%25A2-95_%25D0%25BE%25D0%25B1%25D1%

195 and Armata have different optics placement, but the shape of the housing (under the cloth) -is- simmilar.

In general Armata uses technologies and experience gained from 195 (and earlier/parallel programs), but I don't think that one could classify it as a direct derivative of 195.

They have developed new, much longer round call "Grifel" for 2A82.

Oh, it was mentioned that earlier somewhere in this forum and totally forgot about that new shell. Thanks to let me know. Anyway, not that much things are know yet about those new shells. Russians finally throw away their old-fashioned two-pieced shorter perpetrator system. 

Edited by exsonic01

Rear mounted optic suite? I'd say that looking at this profile, it looks like a commander's panoramic sight with 7.62 MG coax just like on T-90SM. How does that relate to this or this photo?

That's exactly what it is, a rear CITV mounted optic suite .I don't think it will have pkt like on t-90AM for now though.

I am with this guys opinion. http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?99988-Russian-Photos-(updated-on-regular-basis)&p=7606806&viewfull=1#post7606806

We can agree to disagree comrade.

While we breathlessly await the latest development in the unfolding far too slowly Armata saga, I'd like to ask the current and former Russian Army types here what the current form of address is these days. Is it still tovarisch? If so, is that informal or formal usage? I'm trying to find out how things may've changed in terms of military courtesy post SU. Speaking of Armata, I'm quite impressed by the knowledge and acumen of members here who are conducting an on the fly intel analysis of the tank and other members of the same AFV family. Could've used you during the Cold War, though in the case of some, I doubt it would've gone over well with the KGB or GRU!

Regards,

John Kettler

I laugh at the over-fixation on gun depression importance. What's M1's gun depression like? -10 Degrees? T-72's is 6. I doubt 4 degrees of difference have a huge impact on performance especially in light of how different designs and their respective application tactics are. 

While we breathlessly await the latest development in the unfolding far too slowly Armata saga, I'd like to ask the current and former Russian Army types here what the current form of address is these days. Is it still tovarisch? If so, is that informal or formal usage? I'm trying to find out how things may've changed in terms of military courtesy post SU. Speaking of Armata, I'm quite impressed by the knowledge and acumen of members here who are conducting an on the fly intel analysis of the tank and other members of the same AFV family. Could've used you during the Cold War, though in the case of some, I doubt it would've gone over well with the KGB or GRU!

Regards,

John Kettler

It is still "toravish". It is true not only for army only but for any enforcement agency (internal affairs, special forces, etc) plus EMERCOM.

BTR,

I don't believe it's over fixation at all. I've previously provided the link to a US Army set of diagrams showing what a significant difference that depression angle delta translates to in terms of tactical exposure. The US Army made a point of highlighting this in the FMs. I know, because I saw the comparative drawings in those manuals myself. Under identical conditions, viewed frontally, an Abrams will expose a far smaller portion of itself to view than will a T-90 series tank. In the examples I saw during the Cold War, when the US M60 tank was completely hulldown, fully half the glacis was exposed on the T-62. There is nothing free in engineering, and that very low profile Russian tanks have long sported comes at the cost of exposure when shooting downhill.

All,

International Business Times is saying the vid we've seen of the purported Armata is, based on number plates, shot in the Urals. It goes on to say that 20 Armata tanks have been built and are in the hands of the troops for training and states, that the Armata is in the 2015 defense buy and that several vehicles from the Armata family will be in the parade we're all so anxious to see. Article's here. Part of the story is based on disclosures made by RT. YMMV.

Regards,

John Kettler