Armata soon to be in service.

Lee_Vincent

The YT sidebar kicked this up amid a sea of some other topic, but I thought I'd see what the man had to say. All in all, though I'm not quite sure how much to believe, I think some important points were made by him regarding myths concerning the T-14 Armata. He shatters a number of common misconceptions about the tank's origins, talks about its real design ancestors (not the Abrams TTB), the (purported) ability of the APS to stop KE projectiles including DU (says this has been successfully tested), production status and more. One bombshell lay in the wholly new to me information and pics showing the T14 isn't using a Western FCS but has, he says, a Gen 3 system for both the Gunner and the TC, though he doesn't realize that Thales is a company name rather than some sort of FCS designator. Believe this is worth watching.

Regards,

John Kettler

3 hours ago, John Kettler said:

akd,

What a pity I don't read Russian! Or is it really a blessing, since it looks like a glorious time devourer? In any event, simply fabulous material, for which, my thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

Google translate.. :) I read it with that, not perfect but readable.

Edited by Bufo

• 3 months later...

It's a mystery why they ever claimed that ridiculous number. No one believed it. The Russians themselves pushed the date back to 2025 last year but even that is well beyond Uralvagonzavod's production capacity, which is probably somewhere between 150 to 200 tanks per year. The British estimated 120 per year once full serial production is begun. 

The problem is that Armata as well as Kurganets-25 have not undergone yet experimental design work. But after them there must be state tests. And here they will already buy a combat vehicle and at the same time test and correct in the design shortcomings during production.

On 8/29/2017 at 0:02 PM, Codename Duchess said:

http://tass.com/defense/961838

Russia is now planning to buy just 100 T-14 by 2020 according to defense officials. Some of you may note that is 2200 fewer than claimed only two years ago.

A mature person would not feel some level of schadenfreude at this.

I am not that mature.  After years of being told how Russia can build pretty much everything at will because we do not understand how special Russian economics and engineering works, this is amusing to say the least.  

On 02/09/2017 at 1:19 PM, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

A mature person would not feel some level of schadenfreude at this.

I am not that mature.  After years of being told how Russia can build pretty much everything at will because we do not understand how special Russian economics and engineering works, this is amusing to say the least.  

It's only a first batch of 100. This is not the end total . They are going to equip a brigade , learn how to use the new toy and how to integrate it ( write the tactical and operational employment manual) then  make a bigger order. Though I would not expect the grand total to exceed 600-700. They can probably build 150-200 a year . These numbers are only for the T-14 MBT version.

The 2300 number probably also included the infantry version T-15 (both the IFV and APC versions , one has autocannon and kornets, the other has 12.7mm only) and  the other versions for engineering vehicules, medical, anti-tank missiles vehicule , etc.. This is the grand total for the whole family of vehicles.

Edited by antaress73

2 hours ago, antaress73 said:

It's only a first batch of 100. This is not the end total . They are going to equip a brigade , learn how to use the new toy and how to integrate it ( write the tactical and operational employment manual) then  make a bigger order. Though I would not expect the grand total to exceed 600-700. They can probably build 150-200 a year . These numbers are only for the T-14 MBT version.

The 2300 number probably also included the infantry version T-15 (both the IFV and APC versions , one has autocannon and kornets, the other has 12.7mm only) and  the other versions for engineering vehicules, medical, anti-tank missiles vehicule , etc.. This is the grand total for the whole family of vehicles.

That's fine and all, but for some time we were all told very confidently from some circles that by the time the "war" in CMBS kicked off, there would be Armatas in battalions ready to fight. 

As the case is, there might be a limited number of them available in 2-3 years.  Plenty of 'freude to pass around there.  

14 hours ago, antaress73 said:

Also there is the question of setting up the production lines and training the workers. The length of tme it took to get the T90 into service may be a good indicator of the time frame and numbers of T-14 we can expexct. At most perhaps 1000 by the mid 2020s