The Baltic States

I would be more impressed if that were backed up by serious increases in defense spending. Most NATO counties barely have an army anymore.

NATO's official QRF should be ready by 2017 from what I have read. That isn't the same as the entirety of NATO "Getting ready" but its better than nothing.

Edited by Raptorx7

Informed people questioned the validity of massive defence spending when governments were not (and are still not) balancing their budgets. If you fail to do that situations like Greece occur. Of course the media is now softening the masses that more is needed to be spent on the military.

But what cuts to other vital services have to be made?

Informed people questioned the validity of massive defence spending when governments were not (and are still not) balancing their budgets. 

Agree. I'd like to add, that from my point of view, it's not only the sums, it's how you use and spend them. How effectively resources are used to support the military capability of the country?

Edited by wee

I would be more impressed if that were backed up by serious increases in defense spending. Most NATO counties barely have an army anymore.

Broomstick Army reporting for duty.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2015/02/19/germanys-army-is-so-under-equipped-that-it-used-broomsticks-instead-of-machine-guns/

There is an argument that if Europe plays the long game any Russian threat will disappear when the current Russian economic policies come home to roost. So just because there is a perceived gap at the moment does not mean Europe has to play the Arms race /spend game others are playing.