The Battle of La Ferme Dupont - A CAAR

Hey Bud, 

What's with all this Individualism ?...Just stick with HQ & SL names and how many Casualties from each Squad on a turn by turn basis...You were doing so good, until you started listening to PM :-(

I think he's doing a fine job.  

Totally engrossed Bud... keep going, this is a great AAR.

It's interesting that Pnzerldr's own CMBS AAR encountered the same dichotomy of preferences in terms of style. He made it into a story, and some loved the idea and others wanted a more classic AAR. Neither preference is wrong. They are simply that, preferences.

My aim with my own AAR was to engage the audience and have them wonder about the fate of some selected soldiers; to make it at least in part a story, rather than simply a recounting of a battle. I am covering the events of the whole battle while I do this, so for those seeking to simply know what happened, I think the AAR allows that, with maps and narration intended to explain what happens where.

The notion of adding something more personal came as I was putting the latter half of the first three minutes together. I looked at what I had produced, and didn't feel that readers would be sufficiently engaged by a story without people - this is a comic, after all, not a tactical study. PanzerMiller's comment only encouraged a line of thought I already had entertained but was uncommitted to.

I'm not sure if I have gone too far, to be honest. The process is demanding but fun, and I'm open to ideas and suggestions. Can't promise I'll agree or follow each one, but I certainly will consider everything everyone says. :)

Edited by Bud_B

As the "PM" that JoMc67 refers to...

Truth be told, I personally prefer Bil's more analytical approach to putting together an AAR. That's just my own style. But I saw that you were going with a more narrative-based form of storytelling with your own AAR, so I went with it and made some suggestions for how I thought you could improve it. I think you've done a really great job of it, and am really enjoying the story -- and the battle -- as it unfolds. Well done!!

JoMc67 -- it was clear that Bud was going for a comic-style narrative from the beginning, and we here on the forum have been giving him some suggestions on how to improve on that style. Different strokes, y'know?

Edited by PanzerMiller

It's interesting that Pnzerldr's own CMBS AAR encountered the same dichotomy of preferences in terms of style. He made it into a story, and some loved the idea and others wanted a more classic AAR. Neither preference is wrong. They are simply that, preferences.

Which frankly I found annoying too. No one went into Bill's AAR and said "this is not as good as Pnzerldr's, you should change it" but several people felt entitled to do say that to Pnzerldr. That is not really constructive feedback. There is plenty of room for any style AAR that any one wants to make. If people want feed back to improve that's fine but I don't see the value in "I don't like this" comments. Constructive feed back would be things like "I think your AAR is missing the big picture" or "I was hoping for more terrain analysis".

Anyway I'm not really interested in a debate (lets have lots of different styles that way anyone who does not like this style can go read another AAR), I am however interested in this AAR so keep them coming.

Bud B,

I'm really enjoying your AAR just like it is.  Your comic book style is great.

When I did AARs for CMAK/CMBB and Panzer Command Ostfront I used quite a bit of character development fluff to round out the pixletruppen for the battles.  It seemed to make the action mean more to some of the readers and draw them into the battle on a personal level.  Others...meh...not so much.   

Truth be told, I get the biggest kick out of seeing anyone's AARs, no matter if they are stories or clinical.  They are not easy to do in the first place, and even harder to do well.

Geez, I love this game.

Please, keep it up Bud.  Oh, yes, and your cliffhangers are killing me, haha.

Heinrich505

I get the biggest kick out of seeing anyone's AARs, no matter if they are stories or clinical.

This. I completely agree. As I do more with mine I get an even greater appreciation for people like c3k, Bil Hardenberger, and Pnzerldr's work. My stuff is nothing as complex or detailed as theirs and it's hours of work for each panel. so yeah, any well written AAR (not including mine in the same calibre as the three gents I mentioned) is awesome stuff in my view.

So, things getting ugly here at La Ferme. Frankly, I'm worried. Kohl is slowly increasing his kill to loss ratio against me, and I am still basically stuck in my starting position with the exception of Willy's team on the hill at the family plot. Ugh... If only I could get that DAMNED infantry gun in action!!!!!

"Sgt Dietrich watches as his..." Sgt Dietrich? Did he get a field promotion that fast :)

Omg...damn. I can't update the post, the forum won't let me edit...grrrr

No, Willy is still a corporal. :(

And this after heaven knows how many proof-reads!!!

Edited by Bud_B