POKING THE BEAR

Am playing the US campaign Task Force 3-69.  First two missions went well, Total Victories.  

One thing I've discovered about CMBS is that you really can take your time to figure out where Armor is lurking, using UAVs and slow moving scouts. The other is that with all that mobility, it's possible to bypass a lot of enemy to get to an objective.  Very cool, lots of fun.

Just opened the third mission and simply put.

I have no idea how to go about this.  Any thoughts? I'll post mine as I tackle this monster.

Yep, I playtested this one to death LOL  Very different kind of situation.  Pay attention to your briefing and make sure you understand the intent and possible force facing you.  Figure out your plan before you start setting up and review the map very closely.  It is possible to get a total victory, but not likely your first run through.

I cleared with 100% after 2 tries.

1) Try to find good OP. I will not gonna spoil, but there are two good OPs IMO in the left / bottom of the map. JTACs and snipers need LOS to the enemy to lead the precise and efficient bombing runs and shelling. If you just command "area bombing" from anywhere without good observation, pilots will hit any targets on their HUD, which not always bring the best results. Pilots and JTAC/snipers need to communicate about what was their target, where do they go, and was that hit or not. So, ground operators need to hide in good position and see what is going on.

2) Snipe Russian AAs as much as possible before main Russian column appears. When new AA detected, cancel the missions, evade airs, and snipe that AA, then start bombing again. Tungu can eat up your birds for a lunch.

3) Try to kill tanks with Point command, to lead pilots to use their precious atgms to only tanks. If it is "Area", sometimes pilots spend their atgm to any vehicles on the map. Or, they just engage with vehicles using free-fall ammunition, not tanks. Make them prioritize to kill the tanks, since the t90s are the most expensive point holder in that mission.

4) Need to "lead" their speed. Tanks and vehicles move fast, specially when they recognized that they are being bombed. So, manage your UAV and bombing / shelling area/line in front of their path enough. Arty can modify their shot destination, but airs cannot. You need to cancel and re-order, which will cost 1~2min, so you also need to consider this factor.

Hope this helps. This mission is a joke, once you know how to properly "use" the airstrikes and arty shells. But the next mission is really terrible, which reminds me of Alamo and the movie SPR's last battle in the town.

Edited by exsonic01

Hope this helps. This mission is a joke, once you know how to properly "use" the airstrikes and arty shells. But the next mission is really terrible, which reminds me of Alamo and the movie SPR's last battle in the town.

There are two versions, an easy and a hard, not sure which one you got.  Learning how to use your FOs, UAVs, arty and airstrikes is the whole point of this scenario.

There are two versions, an easy and a hard, not sure which one you got.  Learning how to use your FOs, UAVs, arty and airstrikes is the whole point of this scenario.

I agree that this mission is to teach how we need to use fire supports. Is the "backs to the wall" mission has two version? I didn't know that. What is different?

I agree that this mission is to teach how we need to use fire supports. Is the "backs to the wall" mission has two version? I didn't know that. What is different?

I don't know about backs to the wall, Poking the bear you'll have to ask PnzrLdr.  I only played the hard version.

And for what it's worth I enjoyed the hell out of testing it. It taught me a lot about what to expect in CMBS capabilities as frankly, all this stuff is new to me.  The other part I found interesting is there are essentially two battles.  The struggle by the NATO side to coordinate the assault on the Russian formation using the UAVs, air assets and arty, and then the close in fight between the recon element and the Russian forces trying to deny you the eyes on you need.  It is a fun challenge to push outward and pressure the Russian force.  It is also quite dangerous.

Awesome thanks!  

What do you mean by sniping the Tunguskas?  You mean like with an actual sniper rifle?  

I had my snipers on limited cover arcs, and tried taking them out with artillery.

I expect he might mean using Javelins or precision arty.  Getting your snipers close enough to do any good on the TGs usually ends up with them dead.

Awesome thanks!  

What do you mean by sniping the Tunguskas?  You mean like with an actual sniper rifle?  

I had my snipers on limited cover arcs, and tried taking them out with artillery.

Like sburke mentioned, I used precision missions of both 155mm and 120mm. Sometimes I used Gray Eagle to kill AAs, but only when 155mm and 120mm are delayed more then 4 min.

One more hint is, use Gray Eagle wisely. Russian AA cannot engage Gray Eagle only when it is in recon mode.

Edited by exsonic01

I don't know about backs to the wall, Poking the bear you'll have to ask PnzrLdr.  I only played the hard version.

And for what it's worth I enjoyed the hell out of testing it. It taught me a lot about what to expect in CMBS capabilities as frankly, all this stuff is new to me.  The other part I found interesting is there are essentially two battles.  The struggle by the NATO side to coordinate the assault on the Russian formation using the UAVs, air assets and arty, and then the close in fight between the recon element and the Russian forces trying to deny you the eyes on you need.  It is a fun challenge to push outward and pressure the Russian force.  It is also quite dangerous.

Yeah, I also enjoyed may parts of that mission, and learned a lot. BTW, I didn't knew there were different version of poking bear. Do you know how to choose hard and easy? I don't know what I did XD

Anyway, 'Backs to the line' is the really though for first 20 min. I'm about to being overrun by tons of Russian tanks IFVs and shells :P

One more hint is, use Gray Eagle wisely. Russian AA cannot engage Gray Eagle only when it is in recon mode.

I just finished it, and that is the best piece of advice to get a win on this one. The key to this mission is to take out as priority the SPAA. Also, keep your command vehicle within a center formation of stingers. I lost the the skipper to enemy CAS I think because I had him too far away from my stingers. Good luck. It is an excellent map and mission, that offers a good challenge. Pnzrldr did a great job on it.

Edited by Vinnart

I just finished it, and that is the best piece of advice to get a win on this one. The key to this mission is to take out as priority the SPAA. Also, keep your command vehicle within a center formation of stingers. I lost the the skipper to enemy CAS I think because I had him too far away from my stingers. Good luck. It is an excellent map and mission, that offers a good challenge. Pnzrldr did a great job on it.

How can I play the hard mode of this mission? 

I believe that you have the "hard" mission if you have stingers and the Russians have CAS. Not sure how the assignment is determined since I have the "easy" one, and I got 1375 out of 1400 in the previous mission because I damaged a preserve building. I think that one was a "total" victory. I'll look at my mission tree from the broken out campaign when I get home to see if there's a min/max determination to the selection. Don't go by the reinforcements on the tactical map in the briefing. Mine said "MANPADS," even though I have the easy one.

I have about 40 minutes left in "Poking." I feel proper use of UAV and precision arty is key.

OK, looked up my mission flowchart. If you get a "draw" or better in the outskirts, you get the "easy Poking the Bear." If you lose the outskirts, you get the "hard Poking the Bear." I'm not going to say what the differences between the two versions are because of the spoiler factors. There are different versions of the following missions too depending on how you do on a preceding mission. All of the campaigns have them.

Are you sure on that? Anyone else confirm that?

Tunguska can use it's 30mm gun to shoot down a raven. The Raven is too small to shoot down with a SAM. It's all explained in the manual.

Edited by Vet 0369

Tunguska can use it's 30mm gun to shoot down a raven. The Raven is too small to shoot down with a SAM. It's all explained in the manual.

Thanks Vet. I read an early version of the manual, but must not have had that part stick, or it wasn't in there yet. Thankfully, I did remember the part that the Gray Eagle cannot get shot down in Observe mode for this mission which is critical. As far as enemy AA goes, I have only played a few missions where I have gone up against it having UAV so it is an area where more experience is needed in understanding capabilities.

I also need more experience in this kind of missions, called in my Apaches to soon and got both of them KO'ed, its a question of destroying ENY air defence assets but at the

same time have enough time to use all jets and helicopters without the ENY gets away.

Learned that you can call in ARTY in the UAVs zone (the blue circle) with another team (not the one that ordered the UAV mission) as long as the firemission starts inside circle.

Hi all.  Overwhelmingly happy to see this thread.  Couple points. 

1.  Chris and I had opposite viewpoint (or simple miscommunication) on allocating easy/hard mission.  He wound up giving hard mission to folks who do poorly in preceding one.  I thought they should get an easier ride, and folks fresh from overwhelming victory should have to suck it up.  Either use a utility (one on GaJ's board?) to decompile the campaign, run through and deliberately throw the preceding mission, or perhaps I'll hang the 'hard' version out there on the repos for a challenge game.

2.  Ravens CAN get shot down, esp. by Tunguskas.  They are harder to engage though.  Not quite sure if SAMS/MANPADs can, but TGs for sure.  As stated, GE is immune if observing only.

3.  *Spoiler*  hard version features Russian Air, US Stingers, and Russian mobile ADA systems, plus slight decrements to US force mix to up the resource management challenge.

Have had some folks say that the Russian mech elements pile up too much, and they don't enjoy the Kuwait/Falaise Pocket "highway of death" aspect.  However, one of the US' key concepts is to use Joint Fires to provide the lethality that our limited numbers cannot generate.  This is a test of that concept.  It highlights the difficulties inherent in going with only GPS precision guidance on many munitions, of getting observers in obsolete 'scout' vehicles to accomplish their missions, and of the challenges inherent in neutralizing an integrated air defense system.  I challenge folks to imagine what it would be like if some of us betas had prevailed in our attempts to get vehicle/soldier small arms applied into the AAA equation!  But it is fun, trying to take out a MECH BDE (-) with a Stryker PLT and a handful of scouts. 

Heck, this was so much fun I may have to build another like it to apply the experience from making this one!

The utility that pnzrldr suggested is on green as jade's (GAJ) cmmods site. It's author is Mad Mike. There are two utilities; one for CMBS and another for the CMX2 version 3 offerings. The utility splits out the individual missions as scenarios in their own folder, puts them into a sortable list, and in most cases provides a flowchart of the campaign missions with the win rating needed to progress to the next mission.

While you are on the cmmods site, please donate to the GAJ site. He provides a great service to us and exists on the donations we provide. Please help ensure the modders have someplace to list all their mods.

Edited by Vet 0369