Free Copy AAR: c3k vs DMS. No DMS.

c3k

9:00 to 8:00

We're in the Final Countdown...

Not much. My Abrams and Brad do as they're told.

t001_1.jpg

t002_1.jpg

t003_1.jpg

Of note: As the turn ends, a jet engine rips by. I've searched the sky, and there is a tracer coming STRAIGHT at the front of Blue 1, on the bridge. I've ordered him to reverse, then fast, all whilst staying within the confines of the bridge. DMS may be trying to nuke Blue 1 from orbit. This may not work to his advantage.

Also of note: I have a soft contact near DMS' setup zone of a BTR/BMP in motion, moving towards my Abrams. Excellent. I'm ordering them to go that way and meet the "threat" head on. The Brad stays, to seal DMS in.

Ken out.

Turn 23?

8:00 to 7:00

DMS is pulling out all the stops.

Or, at least those which are left.

v001.jpg

v002.jpg

v003.jpg

v004.jpg

v005.jpg

v006.jpg

v007.jpg

v008.jpg

And this was a SLOW turn!

Well, I lost my scroungers. But at least I lost them in style! ;)

The Abrams go on a bug hunt. I don't think they'll find much, but it's fun zipping them from one place to another. They've got 1500hp turbines for a reason.

I don't know why White 2 has had the Lase tag on it at start for the last ~10 turns. I'll check with DMS later about that.

APS saved the day with Blue 1. Of course, I'm wondering when that bridge is gonna drop!

This has been an EXTRAORDINARILY fun game. Win, lose, or draw (okay, I can't win), DMS has been a great pbem partner.

I'll post an update tomorrow. FWIW, I do NOT peek at the next turn until after I've posted here. No revisionism allowed. It's sordid, in a soiled way.

He's got jets and helo's? Or, is this all some Frogfooting going on?

Ach. It matters not... He must get to the bridge or the game is a tie!

Edited to add: I post mostly pix, because it's easier to mash the F10 button than trying to describe the action. I try to keep the bridge, or some other landmark, in the screenie, so you don't get lost.

Fun stuff abounds...

Edited by c3k

Thanks for the kind words. In exchange, an update...

Turn 23

7:00 to 6:00

Abrams are opened up and roam. Bradley fires. Aircraft and artillery are above it all.

r001.jpg

r002.jpg

r003.jpg

r004.jpg

r005.jpg

r006.jpg

r007.jpg

r008.jpg

r009.jpg

Immobilizing White 2 is not great, but he is in a very nice position...if DMS is in The Wilds. White 2 interdicts that road nicely, and has good LOS to the nearby area, including any exit out of a gully to its left. Of course, I fully expect some more precision artillery rounds to drop on it. It will not survive the next 6 minutes. I offered the crew the chance to leave the vehicle. To a man, they demanded that they be allowed to remain at their duty station to the bitter end. I acquiesced to their request. THAT'S the kind of men who fight for me.

;)

Ken

The moral of this story is simple, get the crack abrams with APS, even if it takes every point you have.  They just drive around and kill things.

Exactly.

So all components for a very interesting game are in place. Just add some Patriot AAM to remove russian aviation and F-15 Strike Eagle to destroy artillery so nothing can even hurt that fantastic superb uberall Abrams  :P 

Yeah, a bit of US AAA/SAM defense would be good about now.

(It'd be a nice touch to add an optional "Air Superiority" or "Fighter Sweep" purchase option. Its only effect would be to negate any enemy helo/cas. Maybe even make it an element vs. an element. E.g., if I purchase a two-ship element of "Fighter Sweep", it would negate one element of my enemy's air support (assuming a two-ship air support element). Of course, if my enemy bought a Fighter Sweep AND CAS, then his Fighter Sweep and my Fighter Sweep would neutralize one another. Simple, but effective? A similar purchase of counter-battery support could neutralize any off-map arty, one battery per.)

The only things capable of killing crack APS Abrams are T90s engaging in direct fire and the Khritzema firing its missiles in salvo mode. Precision artillery might also work, but it takes time to arrive that the Abrams can use to change positions. You were really lucky c3k that DMS purchased the units he did, thing would probably look different had he pruchased for example a company of T90As.

^^^

On the flip side, my Abrams really haven't engaged in much anti-tank work. The T90's are good, but DMS would've had to give up something else. His arty devastated my infantry (and sent me back to my buxom nurse's gentle ministrations). Would he have given up some arty for T90's? His Kornets have been a pain. Would those have gone?

Luck plays a part. Moreso in this one. (I'm being a bit reckless...and the casualty roster shows it.) However, purchase decisions have consequences. You can't just say, "if I'd had 4 more T-90's..." without also adding, "...I'd have given up...".

Ken

Turn 25

6:00 to 5:00

c001.jpg

c002.jpg

c003.jpg

c004.jpg

c005.jpg

c006.jpg

c007.jpg

White 2 is doomed. But then, aren't we all? Okay, aren't all of MY guys?

Blue 2 and 3 are down to 1 or 2 rounds of AMP each. Blue 1 took a beating from that autocannon strafe. He's backing up next to IanL, between the houses. IanL doesn't want to be anywhere near a tank being hunted from the sky, so he displaces to another building.

The endgame approaches, nigh! I'll begin to move Blue 2 and 3 back towards the bridge...just in case DMS has some trick up his sleeve.

Ken out.

Turn 26

5:00 to 4:00

I find a squatter

l001.jpg

l002.jpg

l003.jpg

l004.jpg

l005.jpg

IanL moves out, trying to go before DMS' brings some sort of destruction down in the last minute.

White 2 finds a friend and will say "hello".

Blue 2 and 3 move forward, and will begin a big hook back to the bridge. I'll toss some fire at the location where I last saw an HQ survivor in the mid-game, on the way back.

Ken

Yea, like in Steel Panters.

Artillery without orders to bombard something conducted counterbattery fire. Don't remember what about aviation.

IMHO, I wouldn't allow already purchased support artillery to be used for counter-battery. I understand how flexible modern arty is. However, things like MLRS/Grad are used for the counterbattery role, moreso than the stuff which supports maneuver units. As well, dedicated support units would not be retasked in the middle of troops in contact. So, I'd make it a pre-battle allocation, with some hefty points needed. Shrug. Just an idea. Heavily abstracted, of course.

Turn 27

4:00 to 3:00

n001.jpg

n002.jpg

n003.jpg

Cripes. I forgot to post the pix of White 2. He successfully removed the top floor of that building, but I got a hard spot on a fleeing soldier going out the back door, out of LOS. And White 2 can't give chase.

Ken

If DMS is rendered hors de combat like yourself, will this be decided by proxies - hence the brave/suicidal charge of IanL for the middle of the bridge?   Or are you just claiming a moral / immoral victory by getting IanL on the bridge, even if the game ends, based on the terms, as a draw.

Turn 29

2:00 to 1:00

The Penultimate Tumultuous Turn

m001.jpg

m002.jpg

m003.jpg

m004.jpg

m005.jpg

m006.jpg

m007.jpg

(For IanL's bridge rush, you need to cue the music from Mission: Impossible.)

Whew! One more minute left!

Will DMS pull it out? Will c3k arise from the grave? Will IanL's bridge rush mean anything? What of Blue 2 and 3?

Find out soon...

Ken