Free Copy AAR: c3k vs DMS. No DMS.

c3k

I belive you guys are doing a fantastic AAR, and I thank you for this.

But I have to tell that in my opinion the deployment zones were not correct and, even at the cost of being gamey, the map should have had a bit more of depressions to avoid direct first minute contact.

Yes! I am going to have some harsh words for the guy that came up with this one!

I took a beautiful map, hacked it, and created a new battle. I spent, uh, 2 minutes adjusting for balance. Okay, that's a lie. All I did was hack it apart. The original is very good. Kharalyk.

You are not only guilty of reckless commanding (and tank driving) but also of reckless hacking!

I've been the holdup (traveling with an Atom powered laptop: not conducive to CMBS play).

That holdup is over. I'll post an update this evening, sometime between dinner and Walking Dead. Of course, many of my men could be considered "walking dead". ;)

Ken

Turn 4

27:00 to 26:00

Let's start with a recap. A lot of my guys died. I got one of his BTR's and missed a shot at a Khryzantema.

Here's the turn start...

dd001.jpg

It went downhill from there. Bode Miller downhill, that is!! Fast, wild, unpredictable and possibly in contention for...something...

dd002.jpg

dd003.jpg

dd004.jpg

I'd be lying if I didn't say that didn't give me some satisfaction. :) Ahh. But that was not what destroyed my Brads. Something else lurks out there, like a shark, biding its time and looking for prey...

More...

Edited by c3k

Turn 4, continued...

Well, sitting smug after that last one was nice. It was Blue 3, my Abrams, which did that. I may let them live...

But then, the smooth water was broken by a fin! Or a Russian.

dd005.jpg

It seems this my be the shark which has taken a few bites out of my hide. A gun draw! Mano a mano! But teams of men using machines, instead. Who's going to be quicker???

dd006.jpg

Arrggghh!!! His shark squirts out some ink! Or something. Popping smoke is a pretty good idea. That should increase his survival odds.

dd007.jpg

NOT! Harpooned! Or something. Whatever. He blows up. A laugh. Blue 3 heaves a sigh of relief.

Killing two antitank overwatch units really helps me out. The rest of the weapons that DMS has are still a threat. Oh, and I heard a jet last turn. Like a typical US commander, I have no antiair. I'll send a memo to the USAF later. That's how they prefer to engage in battles, via memo.

More...

Turn 4, which just keeps giving...

A few seconds after that last hit (which whited out my screens), I got another spot. Right near the BTR I killed last turn (or two ago)...

dd008.jpg

Yeah, no. Not a good idea. Never, never, never, always avoid previous kills. By definition, you're near a kill zone.

dd009.jpg

I almost felt bad about this one. Bwa-ha-ha!

3 kills, all by Blue 3. Positioning is key. One unit (like DMS' tank), can kill a lot of enemy.

So, a summary is in order:

dd010.jpg

A hard spot? Yes, that's where he is: between a rock and a hard place.

dd011.jpg

Hope it's a hit.

My plans:

dd012.jpg

The various desiderata near my HQ (blood circle) move towards the orange circle. I need to seal off that area. The Brad in the orange will move forward, slowly. He'll die, but may get some first.

The yellow circle needs some firepower. I'm moving IanL in there, and circling Blue 2 nearby (blue arrow). The other 2 blues move clear of the smoke and gain good vantage points. I hope they can isolate the river valley. I need to keep DMS from getting anymore squirters through.

My in-town squad has split. One team goes high and covers front, one team goes left and covers the road.

I get out of the Humvee deathtrap and follow in trace of my one surviving sniper team. I'll be on the bottom edge of that orange circle, leading from the rear.

Ken out.

Yeah, bloody and fast. Any mistake equals death. This is, admittedly, a fast and loose battle. I certainly would not ordinarily rush Brads filled with men into exposed locations. I was hoping it was an ATGM weapon lasing them, not a tank. I gambled, they lost.

The proper way would be to infiltrate some spotters into position, sit there for 5-10 minutes, gaining spots, then slow move via cover/concealed routes to get Javs/Brads/Abrams into sniping positions. Gain firepower dominance, then expand that dominance into other locations.

Instead, I'm rushing. Yeah, a gamey bridge rush. But not as gamey as DMS'! ;)

Ken

Biggest developments so far:

1. I hear jets. DMS has air support, since I don't. That means I need to stay under trees or tight against buildings. Or, just accept losses. Hmmm....

2. DMS has crossed the bridge. Totally unexpected, and very rapidly. Really a nice move. I'm reacting to that by pushing into the orange circle I put in my last pix.

3. Losses. Err, a bit more than I anticipated at this point. Sorry, men. I'll do better with the next batch. ;)  I still have enough. I think. The bridge battle will eat up bodies. I've got two squads left. So far.

4. My advantage: I have 3 Abrams.

5. His advantage: He has a lot more tracks left. I count about 5. If each one has a squad, then I'll be working hard to hose them down. I still have not seen his Humvee. (He may have a Tigr. I left that loose and between IanL and DMS. None of us really had a hard opinion one way or another on that.)

I see this coming down to a bit of a struggle in town. His guys that got on my side of the bridge are going to be a big problem. I'll approach the solution by using a lot of direct firepower on all the buildings.

Ken out.

Turn 5

26:00 to 25:00

Last turn, we left a shell in mid-flight. The map looked like this:

ee001.jpg

And from the enemy perspective...

ee002.jpg

Where did the arrow fly?

ee003.jpg

Right where it was aimed. I am SO hoping that he every seat filled in these BTR's. With lap passengers, too.

I've got to gain what I can, where I can.

ee004.jpg

The smoke is really well done. His vehicle (BMP? BTR?) which got across the bridge has also popped smoke. I don't know if something spooked it, or if DMS ordered it. Either way, well done. I've got to stalk this thing and whatever passengers it had...

More...

Turn 5 cont...

(26:00 to 25:00)

My loaded Brad, White 2, is in trouble...

ee005.jpg

It ignored the (bad) path I'd ordered. Blocked by bocage, so it zooms around a bit more than I wanted. Grrr.

ee006.jpg

It was supposed to be on the left, coming to the right. A waypoint was behind that barn. Instead, it pathed to the right and is working back to the barn waypoint. I'd rather it just went down the road where trees and buildings will cover/conceal it. Ach...

Meanwhile, I hear jet engines.

ee007.jpg

This hits the already knocked out Humvee. Shrug.

More...

Next orders...

White 2 seems to've broken lock. Good I'll order it to continue into town...

ee008.jpg

Yeah, possible bug. I'll show more in a few more pix.

Others orders:

ee009.jpg

Above: the green marks the location/field of view, of my two teams. They are to keep DMS sealed in. As does the Brad, which covers the orange zone. The other brad, if it survives the lase, will cover the red x, as will my one remaining Mk19 Humvee. I've got an Abrams ordered to crash through the orchard on the left side. It may not make it for another turn or two. Close range is not Abrams forte, but the LOS is too limited down here. That'll be the angel of death to any move DMS makes out of this zone.

ee010.jpg

The above looks to be a mistake. I left the trees off. The trunks in the foreground will, no doubt, make this a horrible location. Grrr.

ee011.jpg

The above shows how the missing Lase is now in sight again. Not good. If I'd known it was still being lased, I'd reverse, pop smoke, unload, and try a different route.

We'll see what happens!

Ken out.

Turn 6

25:00 to 24:00

Lasing and blazing

As we left it...my biggest concern is White 2 and its load of infantry. More lasings, a bad location, and orders unchanged. Could I have NOT sent the turn after hitting "go"? Sure. And some players could live with themselves. But I am not some player! I am hardly ANY player, at all!!! ;)  Seriously, that lack of "Laser Warning" had a big impact on my orders. Let's see what kind of impact it had on White 2...

ff001.jpg

Then,

ff002.jpg

I'm stunned it made it THIS far!

What's next???

ff003.jpg

This was a big deal for me. These men are critical to prying DMS out of his bridgehead. Yes, I'm in the unenviable position of having to dig Russians out of a bridgehead. I'm not sure it's possible or if it has ever even been done. Rest assured...my men will die trying.

More...

Turn 6, cont...

My Brad in the keyhole, Red 2, had a fun turn. At least, I thought it was fun.

ff004.jpg

Great spot, flanks covered, can see what I need covered. Pins DMS into a little zone. It'll be easier to pummel him.

And then..

ff005.jpg

ff006.jpg

Dual warhead, precursor charge, ERA-defeating, rocket-riding stick of death...headed right at Red 2!!! I guess DMS got his dismounts in a good spot. Grrr...

ff007.jpg

Yep: APS saved the day. Why use tactics when you have Trophy?

ff008.jpg

And then there was this...

ff009.jpg

Vengeance! He dared to resist my will! I hope I got the rest of the team. All I saw was one cross. My infantry will tell me what was in there. I'll have to assault every one of those buildings. I foresee DMS sniping me when I walk out on the bridge. His sniper will be in the rubble near here...

Turn 6, cont II...

The end result was a bit of a tie. I didn't die, but Red 2 fled.

ff010.jpg

I really want a Brad or Abrams right there. That's a key piece of terrain.

That fleeting contact was seen from here:

ff011.jpg

More "Laser Warning"?!?! That Abrams (boxed) is in a nice place to cut into the town. DMS has something covering it. Not good.

ffian.jpg

Plans for next turn:

ffian2.jpg

and

ffian3final.jpg

Getting the Abrams, unsupported, amid the buildings is bad juju. I'll get 'em there, blast and boom some stuff, then back out, while my infantry moves in and covers the flanks.

Above, red line is where DMS probably has that first track's dismounts. Orange will be the next guy's troops. Time to find, fix, flank, and finish. Or just blast 'em. Whatever works...

Overall, I've got 3 Abrams and 3 Brads, and 2 full squads plus about 2 squads of odds and sods. Not bad. I've lost a third of my force, but I'm getting a pretty good grip on the town. They must've been the weak third. What's left will do more than what's passed. Or who's passed.

The key for next turn will be the 2 Abrams and the HQ Brad, all of which are moving down that open slope. APS, speed, and smoke. Some of them have to get through, right? (A Humvee made it last turn, so I hope it's clear. See, I scout. I do. ;)  )

Ken out.

Edited by c3k