Separatist mod

Blimey

Thank You for Your work!

Have You considered 'ragtagizing' Ukrainian units (mixing different shades and patterns of TTsKO, various civilian and paramilitary camo, and donated older NATO uniforms (I remember seeing German Flecktarn (may be an imitation, not a real Bundeswehr uniform), British desert DPM (looked authentic) and something in plain khaki with Canadian insignia) plus mix of standard Soviet and volunteer-supplied civilian market body armor, fatigues and helmets)? It is quite common even for the regular army units to have very mixed clothing, and even more so for territorial battalions and other semi-irregular formations. Also it would be nice to give them dirtier 'living in the trenches' look, as opposed to 'just stepped out of the barracks' one that we have now. :)

P.S. Also, if I may suggest (and if it is technically possible) - it is better to replace most of the separatist weapons with their analogues from the Ukrainian side, to reflect the mostly older equipment being used (with wooden grips and stocks, orange 5.45 magazines and 'plum' purplish Soviet plastic instead of the modern Russian black one).

Edited by Krasnoarmeyets

Kras ...sadly there are limits to what can be. Underlying mechanics remain the same. Can swap in weapon textures as kieme suggests. I have sprayed the uniforms with mud. Not as good as kieme's mud but should do. :)

I haven't considered rag tagging UKR forces. I have included some UKR camo in the rag tagging for this mod so that might be a base for another mod with few tweaks. I'll see. Real-life limiting how much time I can spend on these. Kieme did a nice upgrade to the basic UKR uni tho. See his mod thread. With his permission I'd like use that as the base if I did pull something together.

Here's the first version for download. This is the no-helmet version.

Download - http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/THo5wcYA/file.html  [no helmet version]

It replaces Russian infantry with some rag-tag irregular forces. I make no claims to accuracy. I just wanted them to look different to the conventional Russian forces.

The files are not tagged, but can be by modders wanting to use in their own scenarios.

Credit to

• Aris for his brilliant CMRT faces which I used as the base and then modded, clumsily.
  • Kieme for his muddy black boots and Ukraine vest.
  • Anyone else I may have borrowed camo textures from.

BS15.jpg

BS14.jpg

Blimey, Kieme - thank You for Your replies. Especially for pointing me to Kieme's mods - they look as a very significant improvement.

The mod looks very well and also authentic enough; would be quite useful, at least untill the irregulars module comes out. If I also may suggest, it would be better to replace the SVD's texture as well - the sleek black one is too sexy for them. :) The same for PKM. I am not sure what to do with the PKP, as that is a unique model. Maybe the top carrying handle can be made transparent and the stock and grip textures can be swapped in from Ukrainian PKM to give it a "PKMish" look (still would not be completely authentic though)? Additionally, the crew uniforms remain the standard Russian pixel ones (or are You planning to do an individual one for that?).

Furthermore, would it be possible to swap in these textures for the Ukrainians by simply renaming them, or do they have a different texture layout? The Ukrainian side would already have all the right weapons (especially the RPK-74, ubiqiutous in the current conflict), and with the right names in the UI panel. It seems that the digital Ukrainian camo does not share any textures with the standard one (or am I wrong?), so would it be possible to have the Ukrainian army and paramilitaries from the digital set of uniform, and the militia from the regular one?

Thank You!

P.S.: Noticed from one of the previous comments:

Sadly, if I swap the textures over to Ukraine they'll show up on both sides.

Does that mean that You have tested that already?

Edited by Krasnoarmeyets

Kras - thanks.

Russian Crews - maybe.

Ukrainians - there is only 1 3D model for the Ukrainian soldiers, but it has a number of textures to wrap it in - i.e. digital and ttsko. In the editor you can choose standard or digital uniforms for blue vs blue battles. So yes, hopefully you can allocate digital to one army and standard to the other. However, I'll need to check to make sure there are no shared textures amongst the 3D models when you select one of the other, otherwise you'll end up with a mess, particularly if adding transparent elements.

If these two selections use completely ring-fenced textures then it should work.

I've been meaning to check. I'll take a look over the next few days as I have time.

I wouldn't rename the current textures just yet it case it creates a mess. ;)

Kras - Initial skim through. Looks like share -

Boots;

Faces;

Chin-strap.

Means I'll have to adjust the faces to make both sides work....not too many beards perhaps? Ditto boots will be same for both sides.

Aiming to put the separatists as the digital slot. Coventional army in the standard slot.

:)

Edited by Blimey

Blimey a quick question. Are these guys tied to a specific Russian unit in the editor. I put the all the bmps into my z folder and tagged them to a specific scenario in the editor but all of them are showing helmets when I load the deployment. I used the Soviet motor troops as the unit.

Edited by dragonwynn

Kras - Initial skim through. Looks like share -

Boots;

Faces;

Chin-strap.

Means I'll have to adjust the faces to make both sides work....not too many beards perhaps? Ditto boots will be same for both sides.

That is good to hear! Would be really great if it works out.

In my opinion, for the CMBS plotline type scenarios, with the war breaking out just recently, the rugged and masked faces would probably not go very well with the relatively tidy Ukrainian uniforms. However, if someone were to make a ragtag uniform retexture of the Ukrainians to go with the current conflict type scenarios (which this mod would be better suited to too), with both sides living and fighting in the field for weeks and months at a time, they would soon be nearly indistinguishable from each other if it were not for insignias, stripes and other special markings (as is often the case in real life too). So, maybe make a tidier face version for now, but also preserve the rugged one for later? :)

P.S.: A tangential question - is there any way to add friendly Russian troops as support for the 'red' Ukrainians in Ukraine vs. Ukraine type of scenarios and/or QBs?

P.P.S.: I realized a minor downside to switching the rebels to the Ukrainian side: they would start speaking Ukrainian. :) Since even local Ukrainians from Donbass tend to speak mostly Russian, they would lose some authenticity for someone who could distinguish Russian from Ukrainian (not a very major concern on the global scale, I know :)). But maybe someone would be so kind as to make a sound mod replacing Ukrainian speech with the one from the Russian side to plug in when you play for militia (of course, then the Ukrainian army would start speaking Russian too, but to a large degree it actually does so already in real life, and you do not hear the enemy very often in any case :)). Or even better - Russian with a bit of Ukrainian mixed in for some local flavor. :D

Edited by Krasnoarmeyets

Kras

Okay. After some experimentation, renaming and juggling of the shared textures to get the right balance.

Separatists can slot into the UKR digital uniform slot (in the editor).

Conventional forces can then fill the UKR standard uniform slot (in the editor).

Also via the editor you can add in Russian forces to fight alongside the 'red' Ukrainian force.

You start with a Blue on Blue force pool. Buy your two forces. 1 UKR standard (Blue) 1 UKR Digital (the 2nd Blue force which will be considered the Red force in battle). Deploy. Then change the battle option in the editor to Blue on Red. Pick your Russians. Deploy. They show up alongside your Red UKR force.

Sounds files - you can unpack and mix those up in a mod yourself, although if you have Russians fighting closely alongside the 'red' UKR force I expect you'll get a mix of voices anyway.

Separatist - more diverse appearance. More bare heads.

BS17.jpg

BS16.jpg

Standard UKR - More uniform appearance. Fewer bare heads.

BS19.jpg
BS18.jpg

Russians and 'red' UKR forces deployed together

BS20.jpg

Edited by Blimey

I really wish this mod had targetted one of the Ukrainian soldier camo patterns instead of the Russians as I want my Separatists to be fighting alongside their Russian allies. I am in the middle of making a scenario now in which Separatists will be fighting Ukrainians in a minor front away from the main Russian drive on Kiev, but potentially with Russian special forces types working with them either immediately or as reinforcements. I might even throw in some US special forces types giving limited support to the Ukrainians whilst the bulk of US and NATO forces focus on blunting the main Russian drive on Kiev. It would be great to be able to have all four "factions" in play at the same time.

Cpl. S - good to hear you're working on some scenarios. As explained above, with some minor tweaks you can do what you want by renaming the uniform files to match the Ukrainian equivalents. There are some sacrifices as certain textures are shared - faces for example which will show up on both UKR 'sides'. i'll post a link to some amended files in a few days once work gives me a break, but these are best tagged and built into a scenario to avoid confusion for most people.

Cpl. S - good to hear you're working on some scenarios. As explained above, with some minor tweaks you can do what you want by renaming the uniform files to match the Ukrainian equivalents. There are some sacrifices as certain textures are shared - faces for example which will show up on both UKR 'sides'. i'll post a link to some amended files in a few days once work gives me a break, but these are best tagged and built into a scenario to avoid confusion for most people.

That would be great! Thanks for doing this. Some sharing of files shouldn't be a problem, as the Separatists in my mind's eye are just Ukrainians who have broken away. Some captured and repainted Ukrainian vehicles would complete the picture.

Cpl S - here's the separatists to be used in the UKR digital slot in the editor for your Blue on Blue scenarios.

Others - TBA - if used independently, this mod will replace the digital camo textures for UKR forces where these have been chosen by the scenario designer. There is also some overlap with the standard UKR textures - namely faces, boots and chin straps are shared. The chin strap has been made transparent in this mod as it uses bare headed figures. Best not use this mod with others that that mod UKR faces or the UKR digital camo as you will lose the full effect. Mods for the standard UKR camo uniform shouldn't affect this mod, unless they include faces.

Download - http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/PkK66dLO/file.html

Credits - Aris' for his faces and Kieme for his dirty camo/boots.

BS21.jpg

Edited by Blimey