German Tanks

I have a couple of questions on the force structure of German tank groups. What is the typical structure of a tank battalion? I thinking about some possible scenarios for CM that I would like to create. My guess so far is that a tank battalion consists of (2 or 3) companies and each company consists (2) platoons. Each platoon consisting of five tanks. That gives me a guess of between 20-30 tanks in a battalion. But my guess is that its probably more because I didn't take in to account a tank for the company commanders and the battalion commander. What do you guys think. I'm sure someone out there has a handy chart or something that spells it all out. If so could you email it to me. Thanks.

Another question for BTS. How big can the battles be? What I mean is how many units can there be on each side? Is the number unit dependent? Thanks. You guys are doing a great job. I can't wait for the game but take your time and get everything right. It worth waiting for. Also spend some time with your families, you guys deserve it. Later.

------------------

Scott

A panzerabteilung would be 2-4 companies (usually 3... 2 very late in the war). 3 platoons per company with 3-5 tanks per platoon (4 is standard). The paper organization of the regiment calls for one battalion of PzKw IVs (ausf H), and one battalion of PzKw V's (Panther). This of course varied wildly at times. The SS divisions often had a company or even a full battalion of PzKw VIe's (Tiger). The 21st Panzer Division at Normandy had a large number of 1940 vintage French tanks. The Panzer-Lehr Division had a slew of really cool tanks at Normandy... including a platoon of PzKw VIb's (Königtiger). StuGs, Jagdpanzers and Jagdpanthers are often used to fill the strength of Panzer battalions.

Hope that helps.

------------------

---

Dan Brown

dbrown@owc.net

Scott

Typical organisation of a 1944 german tank bataillon (theoretical strenght) as follows:

Staff Company: 3 Befehlspanzer (V or IV) plus 5 tanks Recce platoon

4 Companies each 17 tanks (if PzV) or 22 tanks (if PzIV)

Company structure:

Company staff 2 tanks

4 Platoons with 5 Pz IV

or

3 Platoons with 5 Pz V

Normal regiment consisted of one Bataillon (II. Abteilung) Pz IV (4 Companies) and one Bataillon (I.Abteilung) Pz V (4 Companies).

Regimental Staff Company had 3 Befehlspanzer (Pz V), a recce platoon (5 tanks Pz IV or Pz V)and a AA platoon (4 Wirblewind and 4 Ostwind)

Helge

==============

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/

A panzerabteilung would be 2-4 companies (usually 3... 2 very late in the war). 3 platoons per company with 3-5 tanks per platoon (4 is standard). The paper organization of the regiment calls for one battalion of PzKw IVs (ausf H), and one battalion of PzKw V's (Panther). This of course varied wildly at times. The SS divisions often had a company or even a full battalion of PzKw VIe's (Tiger). The 21st Panzer Division at Normandy had a large number of 1940 vintage French tanks. The Panzer-Lehr Division had a slew of really cool tanks at Normandy... including a platoon of PzKw VIb's (Königtiger). StuGs, Jagdpanzers and Jagdpanthers are often used to fill the strength of Panzer battalions.

Hope that helps.

------------------

---

Dan Brown

dbrown@owc.net

Scott

StuGs are a bit more complicated:

Let´s start the timeline:

1941:

1 STUG Kp Chef

3 Platoons with 2 Stugs and one Halftrack each

1942:

1STUG Kp Chef

3 Platoons with 3 Stugs each

1943:

either:

2 Stug (7,5cm) KpStaff

3 Platoons with 4 Stug (7,5cm) each

or

2 Stug (7,5cm) KpStaff

4 Platoons with 5 Stug (7,5cm) each

Feb 1944:

Kompanieführungsgruppe (KpStaff) 1 Stug 7,5cm and 1 Stug 10,5cm

3 Platoons with 3 Stug 7,5cm each

1 Platoon with 3 Stug 10,5cm each

June 1944:

either:

1 Stug KpChef

3 Platoons with 3 Stugs each (7,5 cm)

or

2 Stug KpChef (7,5cm)

3 Platoons with 4 Stugs (7,5cm) each

You see not that strictly structured as it is with the type 17 or 22 Kp in the tank bataillons. But if you assume 4 Stugs per platoon you will be right for 1944.

Helge

==============

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/